💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Charli XCX addresses criticism of the ‘Brat’ album cover

Teletubby

Featured Posts

elijahfan
On 3/14/2024 at 7:42 PM, PartySick said:

Not sure anyone cares if she's on it or not, just that her cover isn't giving minimalist and trendy, it's just...ugly, boring, plain, and lazy :laughga:

Bright green with arial font (usually the first font on anyone's list of free fonts) and not even capitalized :icant:

Who told her that was ok :icant:

On 3/14/2024 at 7:44 PM, NATAH said:

it's just sh*tty design, flat out

Guys, we’re stanning someone who used a questionably photoshopped picture of herself as a motorcycle hybrid with a cheesy chromed font to represent her magnum opus, let’s not act like we’re not understanding an ironic album cover.

Edited by elijahfan
  • Thanks 1

weed
15 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Guys, we’re stanning someone who used a questionably photoshopped picture of herself as a motorcycle hybrid with a cheap chromed font to represent her magnum opus, let’s not act like we’re not understanding an ironic album cover.

not very related at all but I am obsessed w the Nick Knight version (or his edit/vision) of the cover. 

Et9gOmLWQAMtib0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

NATAH
7 hours ago, elijahfan said:

Guys, we’re stanning someone who used a questionably photoshopped picture of herself as a motorcycle hybrid with a cheesy chromed font to represent her magnum opus, let’s not act like we’re not understanding an ironic album cover.

ok? charli's album cover is still miles worse

mother, what must i do?

elijahfan
33 minutes ago, NATAH said:

ok? charli's album cover is still miles worse

IT'S. THE. POINT. :saladga:

NATAH
4 hours ago, elijahfan said:

IT'S. THE. POINT. :saladga:

and i don't like the point :samanthac:

mother, what must i do?
  • Thanks 1

doraemon
On 3/16/2024 at 9:56 AM, StrawberryBlond said:

I don't like the cover but I appreciate what she's doing with it. It looks like an album that came out in 1996 by an edgy indie act. It's a rave album, it's called Brat and she's heavily inspired by the 90's, it's all perfect. And while I think 'misogynistic' is too strong a word, she makes an interesting point that we only focus on heavily critiquing female artists album covers. If any of them do anything different, there's definitely a subtle sense of "you've got a pretty face and a great body, why don't you show it?" We have become used to seeing women's bodies being used to their full advantage to sell music for decades, it throws us when they take another route but never critique men for this and that really tells you something about society.

100% agree of what you said. Not everyone likes it. And tbh, it doesn’t do anything to me (I can only say that this is a smart move, to think that I sorta compared to Bey’s 5th studio album…), but why arguing about it? After all, our pov towards art, even album covers, are varied through the eyes of the beholder.

• Like 2

Economy
On 3/14/2024 at 3:00 PM, chuck said:

not everything is oppression. i hate this culture.

Someone called it victimhood p*rn and i couldnt agree more (in some circumstances anyway, not invalidating legit ones)

But sometimes it seems like a competition to create a ranking of a hierarchy of who is the most oppressed so they can flex at the less oppressed

I literally saw some documentory on why suicide rates are high among men and the comments were so nasty saying men arent oppressed on society so why waste energy on these topics?

Like for real sit down. Two things can be true at once. Not everything has to be a competition all the time of who has it worse and talking about one issue doesnt not have to invalidate another :air:

Edited by Economy
  • Thanks 1

Aga Gydal

I’d rather hear the inspiration behind that bland ass cover than being defensive about what it’s not, lol. Like, you can do a LOT of things with your artwork before landing on blurry word on lime green background. Is it referring to something specific?

Bowman
On 3/16/2024 at 8:12 AM, weed said:

not very related at all but I am obsessed w the Nick Knight version (or his edit/vision) of the cover. 

Et9gOmLWQAMtib0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I forgot how good this was, imagine they released this art for the 10th anniversary. Why did we get the brown cover :littlepotter:

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉
  • YAAAS 1

tyler k

i think most of yall are missing the point - everyone keeps saying "who cares, it's still an ugly cover"

she's not arguing if her album cover is ugly or good or whatever, she's making a comment as a whole to what is expected from female pop stars, using their bodies to sell their art. 

i'm sure she thinks the cover is awful, lol it is. but it's still perfectly in line with the concept of the era. 

also - it realllly doesnt matter if the cover is good or not. literally everyone is talking about it. she won lol 

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee
  • Like 1

monstertoronto
On 3/14/2024 at 2:31 PM, elijahfan said:

when Gaga would get the courage not to feature herself on one of her album covers.

The courage? She just doesn’t have the desire. She has courage for days! You make it sound like it’s a given that she should do a cover without her on it and the only reason she’s hasn’t done it is because she’s afraid. That would be such a specific artistic choice and I don’t think it’s necessarily even a good one given how much work she puts into her personal style as part of her artistry. 

elijahfan
1 hour ago, monstertoronto said:

The courage? She just doesn’t have the desire. She has courage for days! You make it sound like it’s a given that she should do a cover without her on it and the only reason she’s hasn’t done it is because she’s afraid. That would be such a specific artistic choice and I don’t think it’s necessarily even a good one given how much work she puts into her personal style as part of her artistry. 

I think you’re putting way too much emphasis into what I’m saying… I’m not saying she has to do it, merely that it would be a brave thing for her to do, the same way it would be brave for any other major pop star to do (take the reactions the cover of Beyoncé’s self-titled album received, for example). I have wondered before if she’d ever have the balls to do it, that’s all. Of course it’s entirely up to her and it doesn’t lessen the quality and intention of what she did before.

Featuring the performer on the cover is something that’s very deeply embedded into the culture of pop music, I feel like it’s much less prevalent in other genres like rock. I do understand Charli’s point and am able to recognize the subversiveness of what she did here.

Edited by elijahfan
  • Like 1

eeveevil

kpop albums often don't have the members on them, and they still look good. Look at Ateez, Dreamcatcher or BTS. None have the members, but they're all memorable and look good on shelves. 

I could make a better album cover in one of my 50 minute graphic design classes (as a begginer hobbyist)

Edit: here are some:

Spoiler

Ateez: 

nhzdLYr.jpg

2305d00868fdb681238f6a542f47cb9c.1000x10

Ateez_Fever_Part_2.jpg

Ateez_-_The_World_EP.1_Movement.png

maxresdefault.jpg

artworks-lKHrppDMdLU0-0-t500x500.jpg

Spoiler

Dreamcatcher:

cz9w4ibrfvq91.jpg