💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

More artists have their music removed from TikTok

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

TIKTOK.png

TikTok says it has started removing more music from its platform as part of a continuing row over royalties with Universal Music Group (UMG).

The app has already silenced songs by artists signed to the label, but is now having to do the same with writers too.
Today’s popular songs have multiple co-writers, each of whom might have a different music publisher. When a track includes a sample or interpolation of another composition, those works’ songwriters get credits on the new work, too.

TikTok says up to 30% of what it calls "popular songs" could be lost. But some industry estimates say up to 80% of all music on TikTok could be muted.

That's because of something called "split copyrights". In other words, if a songwriter signed to Universal Music's publishing arm has contributed even a tiny part to a song, that entire recording will, in theory, have to come down. 

That would include songs by artists on other labels, including the two remaining majors, Sony and Warner, and hundreds of independents. 

The impact of the move on artists and songwriters has been very real, despite UMG’s claim about revenue, as artists have lost the most-powerful platform for promoting their music, along with any royalties that would have been generated on the platform. 

“That really hurts,” says songwriter-artist Bonnie McKee, who has written hits for Katy Perry and Britney Spears and has a solo album coming in May. “TikTok is how artists get the word out about a new song — and now they’re muting someone’s entire catalog? The labels say TikTok is so important and push their artists to [be active on the platform], and now they can’t?”

Sources close to the situation tell Variety they see no quick resolution to the standoff. 
https://variety.com/2024/music/musicians/tiktok-removing-universal-music-publishing-songs-1235923848/
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68412642

Dua Lipa, Ava Max and more have their songs unavailable on TikTok, even though they are not UMG artists.

Edited by Teletubby
Cockroach of GGD
  • YAAAS 4
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 1

Vengaboy

I don't know if it's just one of those days for me but I couldn't give a flying fish finger if TikTok was shut down tomorrow. Byeeee!

• Like 8
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

holy scheisse

has the removal of copyrighted music affected tiktok's user engagement so far?

starcell

I despise TikTok so cool! lol. Especially if they intended to do some ****ery with AI, I fully support artists protecting their work as much as they’re able to (speaking as a working artist)

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1

River

burn this app alive :party:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 3

Bronco
1 hour ago, holy scheisse said:

Idk how it's affected engagement, but the content switch has definitely starting impacting my algorithim at least. 
So many people are trying to cut through with live audios but because they're not using a singular centralised source for a track it's definitely confusing the algorithim. 

• Like 1

Controversiaga

So sick of this app.  Let it drown

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 3

dit

Just in time for LG7! Yay to no viral dances and viral moments with the song playing to promote it organically I guess : )

SevenWonder

On to the next!

Spoiler

This post brought to you by the creators MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat...

• LMAO 2

eeveevil
On 2/27/2024 at 7:52 PM, holy scheisse said:

I heard somewhere that, IIRC, while they were affected, it's not statistically significant

Always a couple seconds away from having a mental breakdown

eeveevil
On 2/27/2024 at 7:40 PM, Teletubby said:

Dua Lipa, Ava Max and more have their songs unavailable on TikTok, even though they are not UMG artists.

does anyone know how/why? is umg their distributor or something???

Always a couple seconds away from having a mental breakdown

Teletubby
39 minutes ago, eeveevil said:

does anyone know how/why? is umg their distributor or something???

their songs have co-writers who are signed with Universal Music Publishing. Beyonce also had her tiktok hit "Texas hold 'em" removed recently because one of the writers is signed to UMP.

Cockroach of GGD
  • Thanks 1