❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
question

MUSIC or LYRICS? 🎶

Nutella

Featured Posts

Nutella

@skedaddleBItCh controversial, indeed. I consider Chromatica to be ARTPOP lite- I think it sounded like a remix album upon arrival- and I have lukewarm feelings toward it. But when I sit down and really analyze some of the lyrics, I realize that she was packing some punches.

• Love 1

Ronk
15 minutes ago, JessFletch said:

@Ronk it is a balancing act for sure. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to have complex, well-articulated emotions you've finally managed to express on paper, but then having to crush and reshape them to fit into beep-boop music.

Exactly.  The music vs lyrics preference is such a matter of personal taste.  Perhaps a person can favor either the music or the lyrics based on the situation.  I love a great bop, but am even more moved by songs where an emotional picture is painted in my mind.

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Like 1

Nutella

Very true. Great lyrics with memorable production is a way of showing, not telling the listener. But sometimes you need to compromise and lean in one direction or the other, for the sake of the song.

Controversiaga

Music.  Melodies and instrumentals are what makes you want to listen to a song again. Otherwise I can just look up the lyrics and read them like a poem or a book 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • YAAAS 1

RAMROD

I am team both. 

I appreciate songs with complex meanings, I appreciate songs with good beats, I appreciate songs that sounds simple but relatable, either ones or in between are considered a good song for me.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Reality

I used to be someone who was like “Oh the lyrics are the most important thing. All lyrics need to be super meaningful and interesting”, but I’ve definitely changed my opinion over the years.

The way I see it now, a song without music is just a poem. The lyrical content of most songs reads like poetry, and it is. Songwriting is a skill all on its own. That said, if lyrics are truly the most important part of a song, then just go read/write poetry. What makes a song a song is the musical content.

And to be honest, I can listen to a song multiple times if I like it sonically, even if it has bad lyrics. I rarely go back to a song that I dislike sonically, even if it has great lyrics. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Love 1

Ronk

The movie mentioned in the OP,  "Music & Lyrics", is one of my favorite movies.  It was produced in 2007, but if it had been produced about three years later I would have been convinced that the performance style of the female pop singer was influenced by Gaga.

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Love 1

Nutella

@Reality same. If I like a song, I don't walk away from it for a long time. I often chop them up/ abridge them in garageband so I only need to listen to the parts of songs I enjoy, and this is such a blessing with songs that focus more on production than lyricism.

• Like 1

Nutella

@Ronk one of my all-time favorite romcoms. Terribly underrated. Hugh Grant is kind of a do*chebag in real life, but he and Drew Barrymore have such wonderful chemistry together.

• Like 1

King of the Fall

For me it depends on the artist, my taste ranges from great pop music like Madonna, Gaga and Carly Rae Jepsen, experimental indie stuff, metal, classical, rock and roll, old school country and singer-songwriters like Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan.

But if I had to chose which one is more important to me, I would go with the music, a song can have great lyrics but if musically it is terrible, I won't enjoy it.

Edited by Angelene
He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite
  • YAAAS 1

Noah

I am probably Team Production / Melodies. I am not a native English-Speaker, so when I first got introduced to Gaga, I barely knew any of the words she was saying. I thought her melodies were so catchy, the Production so unique and the visual aspect sold the whole package. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡
  • Love 1

Nutella

@Noah great POV. If a singer speaks/sings in a language that isn't your first, it falls on production to draw you in.

(though Gaga's voice is often capable of transcending this problem)

Edited by JessFletch

Nutella

🙃 Hopefully people see the other two questions lol, I’m so curious for perspective on people’s single favorite lyric especially 

• Nutella changed the title to MUSIC or LYRICS? 🎶