Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

⚫️ MUSIC or LYRICS? 🎶

JessFletch

Featured Posts

doja scat

music always, i’ve never been a lyric girlie or really paid attention to them tbh 

• Love 1

Controversiaga
1 hour ago, JessFletch said:

@Controversiaga my twin? But who is prettier?? 

Luckily we are identical twins. Both equally STUNNING

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • Love 1

Massive Monster

Gaga songs seem to be inconsistent in terms of the lyrics.

Most  of her mainstream dance pop hits are brilliantly written. Poker Face, Just Dance, LoveGame, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, Alejandro etc all brilliant.

However the recent Stupid Love, was lyrically stupid... love (as someone once said). It's just so vague, what's the message and where's the creative writing. "All I ever wanted was love" is kind of a great lyruc though but not enough. But the melody and production is great imo. 

Free Woman, Fun Tonight... are painfully badly written.

It doesn't mean that Chromatica just has badly written songs though. It's just that it seems a bit of a downgrade overall.

Perfect Illusion is painful, but Come To Mama has insanely great lyrics (yes!).

Born This Way has a straight to the point charm and bold message, perfect for the time, which just absolutely works.

I just hope that with LG7 Gaga is once again consistent, mature, yet create absolute earworms, brilliant melodies with epic choruses.

Kind regards
  • YAAAS 1

JessFletch

@Massive Monster we don’t acknowledge Stupid Love in my haus. But I will today: yes, it is lyrically embarrassing. Production wise, it sounds like a BTW reject. It was a mistake, through and through.

I agree re: the other songs you mentioned. Though I do enjoy the Free Woman wordless “chorus” for some reason. Reminds me of Cher’s Believe.

⚫️
  • Like 1

JessFletch

Another favorite lyric of mine: “Russian roulette is not the same without a g*n… and baby when it’s love, if it’s not rough, it isn’t fun” 

F*cking brilliant. That one has stood the test of time, for me at least.

⚫️

Ronk

While I said I think lyrics are the most important, I have two counterexamples that show the opposite.

While driving up the road I heard a song that really inspired me.  I didn't catch the lyrics, but I love power ballads, so I pulled off the road and called the radio station to find the name of the song.  It was a weekend and they did not answer the phone, so I texted them.  I asked what was the power ballad by a female artist you played around 2:30 this afternoon.  They responded "Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson".   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T3WAbU6tg

While walking on a beach I came across a radio with nobody in sight as far as I could see in either direction.  A surreal experience.  I thought the song the radio was playing was really beautiful, but the sound of the wind and waves drowned out the lyrics.  Later I googled the few words I could hear and found the song to be Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQHyHwFgeg

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Love 1

JessFletch

@Ronk a wonderful anecdote/example, thank you! *Music* leaves a quicker impression than *message* for most people, even if its not their main takeaway afterward.

⚫️

Ronk

Some have said lyrics are poetry that could be enjoyed just be reading them with no music needed.  I agree.  The emotions are still there even without the music.  But I feel that something is added by a performance, even if the song is plain and the singing is less than great.  In this example from a bluegrass festival, the lyrics describe a beautiful scene and when that scene is in your head, the emotional words top it off. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbk540JG2M

A song at another bluegrass festival proves the opposite.  She song is upbeat and catchy to the point that the lyrics are unimportant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIlcdToNfY

I love music from many genres, and I would bet that examples could be found in each genre where the lyrics are "everything" and where the music is "everything".   So I agree with everyone who posted in this thread.  All points are valid.

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Love 1

JessFletch

I agree. Music is a primarily an audible art form though, so I never feel TOO guilty about humming melodies and ignoring words lol

⚫️

Killa

I get too distracted thinking about sounds to really understand every word everytime. I simply don't work like that, for me words are just an articulation, a colour. So music, if the music is good it'll convey the feeling. If the words are chosen wisely and phrases constructed in the right way, it's a perfect marriage. The rythm and flow of the verse needs to go hand to hand with the music, and some words just seemed to be meant to be part of that melody. 

Ofc not all music is melodic like that but yeah. For me music is too abstract, i just don't appreciate really thinking about the actual meaning of the words, that's an experience that i rarely give myself ahhah

• JessFletch changed the title to ⚫️ MUSIC or LYRICS? 🎶