💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should Joker Trailers Hide The Singing?

EGOT2027

Should The Trailers Hide That There’s Singing?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Trailers Hide That There’s Singing?

• Yes
    • No

Featured Posts

EGOT2027

so mean girls ended up doing well at the box office this weekend, beating industry projections. this comes amidst viral videos of some folks being surprised/annoyed in the theater upon finding out that the film is a musical. that element was a bit hidden in the trailers, which a paramount executive touched on in the quote below. wonka is also a musical that had trailers that left that part of it out, and there seems to have been no negative reactions to that. i imagine that the word of mouth that mean girls is a musical (which some lame people don’t like) will hurt its box office numbers in upcoming weekends, but wonka has gone on to be the most successful film since barbenheimer.

am i the only one who thinks the trailers for joker should in fact show the music?? i know the movie may not even be a full on musical, but if girls, gays, and theys at mean girls are going viral groaning to people singing in mean girls, i can only imagine the amount of videos/tweets/posts that will come from straight men who saw the first movie who may have somehow missed that there will be singing in the second film. i just think they should be honest and confident in the decision they made and really go for it. i actually think the music component is only going to peak the curiosity of a lot of casuals. i’ve seen so many tweets and such from non gaga stans over the last year that are like “this movie might be horrible but i don’t think i’ve ever been more curious about a movie in my entire life.” i think it’s better to just go for it than to risk a ton of negative word of mouth opening weekend from surprised casuals who somehow missed the fact that there is singing in the movie. 

what do y’all think?

Edited by EGOT2027
  • Thanks 1

• EGOT2027 changed the title to Should Joker Trailers Hide The Singing?
Pennywise

No. In fact, I think the trailers should ONLY show the music (and not the bling) :vegas:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 12
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash

No. This marketing trend is stupid and counterproductive. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Kimmo

They should just show Gaga singing and hide Joaquin until the end…

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7a2df48fe04dee4bcaa4d5eb66731ae459eacadff&ep=v1_gifs_username_username&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Hottie Detector
  • LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Red

I’m 100% sure the trailers will be random scenes of the movie with almost no dialogue with a somber cover of an 70/80s song in the background with zero vocals from our fave

Edited by Red
If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • Sad 1

River

Isn't it a scammy kind of marketing? like I want to know if I'm watching a musical or not.. it's like selling me an action movie but it ends up being a drama with a car chase scene.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Pennywise
16 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

No. In fact, I think the trailers should ONLY show the music (and not the bling) :vegas:

I'm serious!!! It would be incredibly c*nty of them to show only musical scenes on all trailers :partysick:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Quentin

In A Star Is Born trailer we had Shallow and this was a blast, made the trailer better

Edited by Quentin
Follow every rainbow till you find your dream
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Red
15 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

I'm serious!!! It would be incredibly c*nty of them to show only musical scenes on all trailers :partysick:

The str8s would literally gag

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Reality

No. That kind of marketing strategy doesn't really work, and if anything, it could turn people off when they see the movie. Also, the movie has been reported as a musical for a long time, so it's not like this is brand-new information. For the people who know of this movie, they most likely already know it's a musical. Plus, I feel like if you're going to cast Lady Gaga, you might as well show some musical scenes. The fact that there are "musical elements" in this movie is a big reason why she was cast in the first place and they'd be dumb not to show that off. 

🃏🖤👹
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

HookerOnAChurch

No. It would be like having a Ferrari and drive a smart.

Ghost Face

Joker II - FAD has the support of a megastar's fanbase who encourage the singing. So I think it's safe to just show it in the trailer.

In addition, the musical aspect is probably strongly related to the plot. If so they cannot avoid showing it.

lady gaga tiff GIF by Variety

Edited by Ghost Face
It's an honor.

androiduser

I think it should be clear if the songs are a big part of so the audiences don't think it's a full blown musical.

JgHaus78

Joaquin has a beautiful singing voice so I hope they share that in the trailer

they filmed the “performances” in the movie live on set too 

• YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

PopReaper

Nah, a huge chunk (if not most) of it's core and potential audience is already aware that it's a musical, so coupling that with the fact that the whole "film studios are hiding that their musicals are musicals" thing has become a prominent discussion on social media means any attempts to conceal it will just provoke a Streisand Effect where the only thing people talk about is that they're hiding that it's a musical.

I do think they should keep most musical scenes under wraps at least 'til the final trailer tho, just to maintain a level of curiosity about what they'll look like, and just focus on showing clips of the musical scene in the stairs that people have already seen through set leaks, and maybe bits of one of the others.

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"
  • Like 3