Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

Grimes: "I'm called a Nazi because I happily am proud of white culture"

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Bronco
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

I don't even know what national cultures would be, as referred to above. They are all stereotypes

Saying the concept of national culture is all stereotyping is a bit of a simplistic and unrealistic take. 

National culture is the overarching term for the collection of various histories and practices. So this includes political & social history (much of which will be in part shared or informed by neighbouring nations), civic practice, food & drink heritage, clothing standards, cultural products like literature & music etc. It does also include stereotypes, but it is in no way restricted to stereotypes. 
And obviously their can be regional cultures buried underneathe the national culture. 

So if for example you look at British culture. What is actually being referred to is the political & social history that help formulate a national identity. People will often talk about the reformation, the glorious revolution, the industrial revolution, the chartists, the sufragettes, the world wars & the post-war era and how they've shaped British (primarily English tbf) society. They'll also talk about the arts - so the Beatles & Merseybeat, the Manchester sound, the Hacienda, the Blitz kids/New Romantics, Punk, 2tone, Drill & Garage etc. 

It's not just the stereotypes of what the people do/act like. 

• Like 2

Didymus
1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Saying the concept of national culture is all stereotyping is a bit of a simplistic and unrealistic take. 

National culture is the overarching term for the collection of various histories and practices. So this includes political & social history (much of which will be in part shared or informed by neighbouring nations), civic practice, food & drink heritage, clothing standards, cultural products like literature & music etc. It does also include stereotypes, but it is in no way restricted to stereotypes. 
And obviously their can be regional cultures buried underneathe the national culture. 

So if for example you look at British culture. What is actually being referred to is the political & social history that help formulate a national identity. People will often talk about the reformation, the glorious revolution, the industrial revolution, the chartists, the sufragettes, the world wars & the post-war era and how they've shaped British (primarily English tbf) society. They'll also talk about the arts - so the Beatles & Merseybeat, the Manchester sound, the Hacienda, the Blitz kids/New Romantics, Punk, 2tone, Drill & Garage etc. 

It's not just the stereotypes of what the people do/act like. 

I understand what you mean. But then what makes this so essentially different from a term like "white culture", is the question that pops up...

I guess that can also be the political and social history that helped/helps formulate white self-consciousness as distinct from non-white "culture"? This is possibly semi-interchangeable with Western European culture then?

I dunno, I'm just thinking and it's not that big of a deal. It just does get complex when, for example, Black culture is actually a thing (and there are very good reasons for this) that cannot be isolated to a particular country or even geographical area.

Bronco
11 minutes ago, Didymus said:

But then what makes this so essentially different from a term like "white culture", is the question that pops up...

Because a nation isn't inherently a racial identity, even if there is a racial majority or super-majority. 

But also, especially in western nations like the UK & the USA racial minorities are a major driver in the establishment and progression of cultural institutions and also the progression of the social fabric that formulates the national identity. 

White culture is ultimately the buzzword used by people who want a society free of other races due to their hatred of those races. They aren't talking about protecting the national culture because they don't accept that non-whites have a place, value or positive impact in that culture. 

• Like 1

RenegAde

For me, There's nothing like white culture and there is nothing like black culture.

Culture is based more on nationality not race. so we have black American culture and white American culture.

the cultural gap between the white and black population is created by the racial bias/divide that exists in America and like-nations. The racial biases also explain why "white culture" can be a trigger for Americas.

Im originally from a country with a 98% black population with over 200 cultures. The cultural gaps here are created by the different tribal heritage of each community.

Edited by RenegAde
  • Like 1