Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

Poll: Which festival will Joker 2 premiere in?

LateToCult

Joker’s Film Festival   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Festival?

• Sundance (January)
    • Berlin (February)
    • Cannes (May)
    • Venice (August/September)
    • Toronto (September)
    • Other/Smaller Festival

Featured Posts

LateToCult

Sundance is right around the corner, which means Oscar-hungry films for the 2025 ceremony are already gearing up for their campaigns. 
Which of the major film festivals do we think Joker 2 will premiere at? 

Edited by LateToCult

Venice. 

that's where the first Joker film had its world premier if I do recall. Also I need another Gaga Venice moment, that was iconic. 

Edited by mamo
you can serve it to me ancient city style...
  • Like 2

RAMROD

The first ine premiered at Venice, where it won the golden lion, they could repeat that move again.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 1

LateToCult
5 minutes ago, mamo said:

Venice. 

that's where the first Joker film had its world premier if I do recall. Also I need another Gaga Venice moment, that was iconic. 

Just now, RAMROD said:

The first ine premiered at Venice, where it won the golden lion, they could repeat that move again.

I want a Venice premiere so bad because I think it’s become the most important of the major 5 festivals. Scared that if it doesn’t win the golden lion again it’ll get torpedoed by the trades and labeled “not as good.” Guess big rewards come with big risks? :emma:

9 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

I want a Venice premiere so bad because I think it’s become the most important of the major 5 festivals. Scared that if it doesn’t win the golden lion again it’ll get torpedoed by the trades and labeled “not as good.” Guess big rewards come with big risks? :emma:

I think you're overthinking! The fact it's a sequel already gives it somewhat of a more difficult chance but all Joker 2 really needs is positive reviews about the film itself and the performances which I'm sure will happen. A Star Is Born didn't win the golden lion however it did pretty good nominations wise during awards season and a lot of people to this day still think it was snubbed and should have won Best Picture over Greenbook in 2019. 

I truly believe this will be another bookmark moment in Gaga's career thus far! I have a lot of faith in this project. 

Edited by mamo
you can serve it to me ancient city style...
  • Like 4

Sneaky Oliver

I can feel this premiere-red-carpet-looks run will be even more iconic than ASIB and HOG

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel living in the Garden Of Eden
  • YAAAS 1

Future Lovers
10 hours ago, LateToCult said:

Honestly I think this film is going to have an uphill battle with the trades no matter what. 

Despite an excellent festival showing, the original film became such a polarizing piece that I’d be very shocked to see it’s sequel openly embraced without resistance. Add in the musical element as well as the question of whether or not a sequel was wholly necessary and you’re left with the reality that unless the film is undeniably excellent, it’s going to take a beating from the trades and critics alike. 

That won’t necessarily put an audience off—the heavily mixed reviews of Joker didn’t stop it from becoming a $1 billion film—but it’s possible the first film’s legacy will.

Through no fault of the film itself, it’s kinda become a lightning rod for the incel white supremacist crowd and that’s gonna work against FaD in the trades too.

It’s going to live and die by actually being good, it’s not gonna be able to coast on being a sequel to a massive film with an IP. 

• Like 1

Reality
1 hour ago, Future Lovers said:

Honestly I think this film is going to have an uphill battle with the trades no matter what. 

Despite an excellent festival showing, the original film became such a polarizing piece that I’d be very shocked to see it’s sequel openly embraced without resistance. Add in the musical element as well as the question of whether or not a sequel was wholly necessary and you’re left with the reality that unless the film is undeniably excellent, it’s going to take a beating from the trades and critics alike. 

That won’t necessarily put an audience off—the heavily mixed reviews of Joker didn’t stop it from becoming a $1 billion film—but it’s possible the first film’s legacy will.

Through no fault of the film itself, it’s kinda become a lightning rod for the incel white supremacist crowd and that’s gonna work against FaD in the trades too.

It’s going to live and die by actually being good, it’s not gonna be able to coast on being a sequel to a massive film with an IP. 

I think it'll do well, but I don't know if it'll do as well as the first movie. From a financial standpoint, I don't see this one making $1b. I think that in a largely post-pandemic world, it's difficult for movies to get $1b, especially in such a heavily saturated comic book movie space. Critically speaking, it could go either way. In my opinion, this film is high risk/high reward. Like you said, this film is fighting an uphill battle, so frankly, it has to work even harder to prove the naysayers wrong. 

I think it's going to be difficult for lightning to strike twice, but it can be done. If anything, I think the film's greatest strength IS the fact that it's so different. Some people may question why a sequel needed to be made, why they'd cast Lady Gaga, or why it's a musical, but in a world where many comic book films have become formulaic and predictable, I think having this sort of experimentation is necessary and exciting for a lot of people. I can see a lot of people going to this movie just for the sheer curiosity of it all. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

I think the film is almost wrapped up if they are starting to release promo material.

Could definitely be ready for Cannes. Gaga always dreamed of Cannes and was personally invited by the director of the festival during an interview in France on C a vous (C2C promo) and she said: I'll come, with a movie.

It is the most prestigious film festival in the world and we all know how Gaga is now involved that acting career. That would be a great achievement just to be part of a movie in the festival selection.