funny

The Mick Jagger John Lennon beef

Maxine Puth

Featured Posts

Maxine Puth

So I love both the Beetles and TRS, but I never really looked into them outside of the music. So finding out there was beef between John Lennon and Mick Jagger is CRAZY :max:

“When asked what he thought of The Rolling Stones, Lennon replied: “I think its a lot of hype. I like ‘Honky Tonk Woman’ but I think Mick’s a joke, with all that *** dancing, I always did. I enjoy it, I’ll probably go and see his films and all, like everybody else, but really, I think it’s a joke.”

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/john-lennon-beatles-mick-jagger-rolling-stones-feud/#

Hopefully Gar Gar didn’t tell Jagger who inspired her peace tattoo 

• Shook 1

LilyLark

LMAO. Sometimes I forget the legends can and still can be petty asf towards one another.

Personally, I think McCartney (edit: I meant Lennon, but McCartney is also a strong songwriter) is generally the better songwriter (and wrote quite a bit alone), but Mick is a far better singer. And to be fair to Mick, he and Keith Richards wrote a lot of great songs together (including Sympathy for the Devil, one of the best songs of all times imo).

Edited by LilyLark
  • Love 1

Future Lovers

This isn't really surprising given they really were in heated competition back then.

They were constantly influencing each other. The Beatles dropped Sgt. Pepper and The Stones' response to it was a rip off essentially in Their Satanic Majesty's Request. Interesting to note though that neither album would exist without The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. 

Then when the Stones started dabbling in harder edged, nastier sounds, it pushed The Beatles toward doing a song like Helter Skelter and in the process accidentally helping lay the groundwork for metal music. 

We look at Paul and Ringo's relationship to the Stones nowadays and see friendship, but back then it was really no different than Nicki v Cardi today. Yes, even these legends feuded with each other. 

It's worth noting that John's tune on the Stones changed as time went on. He and Mick had a mutual friend in David Bowie and through that mutual friendship they grew to respect each other. By the time of John's death, that hatchet was essentially buried. 

Edited by Future Lovers
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

Future Lovers
7 hours ago, weed said:

omg I was wondering what the censored word was and not it being f@g... dirty old man

John Lennon was a man of many, many contradictions and this is a fantastic example of it. I'm gonna spoiler this because it's a lot but if you're curious what I mean, read on. Note it's a not a defense of his using that word in this way, it's more of an...explanation I guess of why this comment both highlights exactly who John Lennon was and paints an inaccurate picture of him all at the same time. 

Spoiler

On one hand he preached peace and love and he did truly mean it, but on the other hand he had his own set of biases and prejudices that worked against all that.

The  man who insisted he and his band mates would not play for segregated audiences in the Civil Rights era south, the man who protested the Vietnam War so insistently he almost got deported, the man who's beloved and well taken care of manager was gay (and a man John reportedly had a brief affair with on vacation) is the same man who said slurs against gay people, yelled at constantly and then later abandoned his first wife and son, cheated on his second wife, and who was known to be very argumentative and combative in private. 

Not that it excuses any of his darker traits (it doesn't), but it is worth nothing he grew up in a very tumultuous environment. Liverpool was a poor, poor place to live then, he watched his mother get hit by a car and die, his father was absent his entire life, and the grandmother who raised him resented his interest in the arts. He grew up angry, and that anger carried with him through a lot of his adult life even while he launched crusades for peace in the world. 

It's noted that in the later years of his life, once he'd moved away from his alcohol addictions, settled in more to being a father, and generally mellowed out that that combative and angry man did begin to disappear. He reconnected with his first son and started to work on their relationship, made an effort to fix his relationship with his first wife, made amends with his former bandmates, and settled way down.

When he was eventually murdered in 1980, the person he was becoming in the second half of his life was really taken in an instant, so we're left with no real idea of who the reformed John Lennon was going to turn out to be. 

He was a nasty man in a lot of ways. He was a great man in a lot of ways. Somehow, those two sides co-existed his whole life, and it was never clear exactly which version of him you would get depending on when you were around him. He truly is one of the most puzzling figures in pop culture and with how generally private he was in his later years, I don't know that we'll ever really be able to unravel all the contradictions of who he was.

Edited by Future Lovers
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

hieronymus
1 hour ago, Future Lovers said:

John Lennon was a man of many, many contradictions and this is a fantastic example of it. I'm gonna spoiler this because it's a lot but if you're curious what I mean, read on. Note it's a not a defense of his using that word in this way, it's more of an...explanation I guess of why this comment both highlights exactly who John Lennon was and paints an inaccurate picture of him all at the same time. 

Reveal hidden contents

On one hand he preached peace and love and he did truly mean it, but on the other hand he had his own set of biases and prejudices that worked against all that.

The  man who insisted he and his band mates would not play for segregated audiences in the Civil Rights era south, the man who protested the Vietnam War so insistently he almost got deported, the man who's beloved and well taken care of manager was gay (and a man John reportedly had a brief affair with on vacation) is the same man who said slurs against gay people, yelled at constantly and then later abandoned his first wife and son, cheated on his second wife, and who was known to be very argumentative and combative in private. 

Not that it excuses any of his darker traits (it doesn't), but it is worth nothing he grew up in a very tumultuous environment. Liverpool was a poor, poor place to live then, he watched his mother get hit by a car and die, his father was absent his entire life, and the grandmother who raised him resented his interest in the arts. He grew up angry, and that anger carried with him through a lot of his adult life even while he launched crusades for peace in the world. 

It's noted that in the later years of his life, once he'd moved away from his alcohol addictions, settled in more to being a father, and generally mellowed out that that combative and angry man did begin to disappear. He reconnected with his first son and started to work on their relationship, made an effort to fix his relationship with his first wife, made amends with his former bandmates, and settled way down.

When he was eventually murdered in 1980, the person he was becoming in the second half of his life was really taken in an instant, so we're left with no real idea of who the reformed John Lennon was going to turn out to be. 

He was a nasty man in a lot of ways. He was a great man in a lot of ways. Somehow, those two sides co-existed his whole life, and it was never clear exactly which version of him you would get depending on when you were around him. He truly is one of the most puzzling figures in pop culture and with how generally private he was in his later years, I don't know that we'll ever really be able to unravel all the contradictions of who he was.

Thank you for presenting this in such a succinct and unbiased way. I grew up with their music all around me with an almost mythical reverence of The Beatles in our household. I learned about all this in a fairly one-sided way that very negatively affected me, and I wish I could've gotten both sides back then.

• Love 2

hieronymus
9 hours ago, weed said:

omg I was wondering what the censored word was and not it being f@g... dirty old man

excuse you, he didn't have a chance to get very old. :ladyhaha:

Edited by sunshine innsmouth
  • LMAO 1

LilyLark

OMG how did I miss that he said "f*g" the first time around....yikes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, considering everything....

That said, @Future Lovers summed up Lennon's complexity quite well.

Edited by LilyLark
  • Like 1

Mick did an interview recently with Tom Power (it's on YT), mainly as promo for Hackney Diamonds, but they go into other stuff including Mick's relationship over the years with Paul McCartney, and Mick mentions that John was a close friend.