throwback

Rihanna: "I don't make generic music like Gaga and Katy"

Dojo

Featured Posts

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bionic

Its funny because she's saying Rihanna songs are only songs Rihanna could do, yet 99% of them were offered to other artists first, written by other artists, written by artist camps in general etc

buy bionic

artdoll
5 minutes ago, bionic said:

Its funny because she's saying Rihanna songs are only songs Rihanna could do, yet 99% of them were offered to other artists first, written by other artists, written by artist camps in general etc

In Rih's defense, judging by the hairstyle, I would assume this interview was done during the Loud era which was 2010(?) At that point gaga only had The Fame (which, to be fair, is super generic pop) & The Fame Monster (not as generic but I would say commercially appealing as TF) just my opinion tho! :kiss:

。゚☁ glued up, sometimes it's too much ☁ ゚。

Ava in 2 years: "I didn't want to make generic pop records like Dua, Olivia and Taylor, so i went for samples instead" 

avamaxsamplingkweennnie.jpg

bionic
1 minute ago, artdoll said:

In Rih's defense, judging by the hairstyle, I would assume this interview was done during the Loud era which was 2010(?) At that point gaga only had The Fame (which, to be fair, is super generic pop) & The Fame Monster (not as generic but I would say commercially appealing as TF) just my opinion tho! :kiss:

If Rihanna is promoting Loud then extra ki because although it is a strong album it is also super generic. The only non-generic album in her discography at that point is Rated R

buy bionic

Economy
10 minutes ago, bionic said:

That is so true. But Rihanna also puts her own spin and style in how she sings them that imo is reasonably distinct. I always knew a new song was from her whenever I'd hear it

So even if the songs themselves were generic... The way she carried them definitely wasn't generic... And in my books that makes u a not too generic artist if u can still stand out

bionic
1 minute ago, Economy said:

That is so true. But Rihanna also puts her own spin and style in how she sings them that imo is reasonably distinct. I always knew a new song was from her whenever I'd hear it

So even if the songs themselves were generic... The way she carried them definitely wasn't generic... And in my books that makes u a not too generic artist if u can still stand out

true and she has a very distinctive voice but there isn't a single rihanna song that couldn't be sung just as well by britney, janet, etc

buy bionic

Anderson123

She was so immature and shady around that time. This is why you shouldn’t talk about your peers like that. Those comments have aged really bad. 

2 minutes ago, Economy said:

Smother Em Eh

I like Rihanna and this was A LONG time ago and in her defense, At the time, Gaga only had TF & TFM out as someone said above 

She then upted her game afterwards with BTW, AP etc. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Stephen

It's funny because she probably was getting offered a lot of songs back then that were specifically described as "Gaga type" songs or "Kesha type" songs because that's what was charting at the time. And she's saying she rejected those songs in favor of something that felt more specific to her.

It does sound very condescending because Gaga wasn't following a trend when she made Poker Face or Bad Romance, she was pioneering the trend. Only after Gaga and Black Eyed Peas brought dance back to top 40 did Rihanna consider doing a track like Only Girl in the World. :billie:

Archived