💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Justin Bieber and Katy Perry to sell their publishing/recording rights

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

A deal for Justin Bieber’s publishing interest and recording revenue is about to close, according to sources close to the artist. HDD speculated earlier this year that this would be a massive deal, possibly north of $200m.

Katy Perry is shopping for a deal of a similar shape, though on a smaller scale—it’s expected her publishing/recording share is valued in the $80m-100m range. Lawyers are believed to be burning the midnight oil to get these deals done before year’s end.

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=334162&title=A-DEAL-FOR-JUSTINS-RIGHTS%3F-BELIEB-IT

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

berlinforme

Didn't Justin say a few times that he doesn't enjoy being a singer anymore? Could be his way out. 

For Katy... I'd have expected her catalogue to be worth more? Even though there are no recent hits it still has some of the biggest pop songs ever. 

18 minutes ago, bionic said:

Surely Katy's record-breaking discography is worth more than Beibers

Justin has almost double the top 10 hits :hor: I think if Katy sold it 3 years ago she'd get more

monstertoronto
15 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

I wonder if all these artists are gonna regret doing this in the future 

That’s what I think. It feels like a shortsighted cash grab to sell your publishing when others are not only hanging on to their publishing but fighting for masters too.  If Katy doesn’t own her masters and then sells her publishing she doesn’t own any of her music at all. 

waterfall
19 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

maybe but i think in justin's case nah. he went from bein poor to becoming the world's biggest teen sensation ig overnight. its been a while since we seen something like that happen to that extent. he doesn't seem happy in the industry no more which makes sense ig since he was been doin this since he was little. maybe he actually leavin the spotlight once and for all and going to settle down with the money he has now. 

Teletubby
52 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

probably not, most of them sell because of tax savings. they have to pay more in taxes if they receive royalties than if they sell whole catalog. 
profits from the sale of music rights are taxed as capital gains - maximum 20%. (capital gains taxes may change so this is why they are doing it now)
royalties are taxed as ordinary income - up to 37%

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

Defmix100
49 minutes ago, monstertoronto said:

That’s what I think. It feels like a shortsighted cash grab to sell your publishing when others are not only hanging on to their publishing but fighting for masters too.  If Katy doesn’t own her masters and then sells her publishing she doesn’t own any of her music at all. 

Do artists still not continue to make money from writing credits on those songs though or streams?

monstertoronto

They make whatever royalties their contracts with the label state. So that will continue. But if you own your publishing you also got all the publishing revenue in addition. Also, if you own publishing then you have a say in how the music gets used. Once you sell it you own nothing and have no control (if you also don’t control the masters). 
@defmix this was supposed to be a reply to you but I forgot to quote. 

Guillaume Hamon

I wonder how much Gaga's one would be worth if she was selling it now?...

I guess the fact she's not selling it now shows she thinks she can still make its value rise...

2 hours ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

Well Madonna said she refuses to sell her music catalog because "ownership is everything" so...

1 hour ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

I wonder how much Gaga's one would be worth if she was selling it now?...

I guess the fact she's not selling it now shows she thinks she can still make its value rise...

3 dollars

mother, what must i do?

Archived