MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

USE CODE BLACKFRIDAY TO GET 20% OFF EVERYTHING
politics

Biden warns of nuclear Armageddon; nothing new tho

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

StarstruckIllusion

Anyway, how’s your Thursday night going? :huntyga:

More context: https://apnews.com/article/biden-nuclear-risk-1d0f1e40cff3a92c662c57f274ce0e25

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden said Thursday that the risk of nuclear “Armageddon” is at the highest level since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, as Russian officials speak of the possibility of using tactical nuclear weapons after suffering massive setbacks in the eight-month invasion of Ukraine.

Speaking at a fundraiser for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Biden said Russian President Vladimir Putin was “a guy I know fairly well” and the Russian leader was “not joking when he talks about the use of tactical nuclear weapons or biological or chemical weapons.”

Biden added, “We have not faced the prospect of Armageddon since Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis.” He suggested the threat from Putin is real “because his military is — you might say — significantly underperforming.”

Spoiler

U.S. officials for months have warned of the prospect that Russia could use weapons of mass destruction in Ukraine as it has faced a series of strategic setbacks on the battlefield, though Biden’s remarks marked the starkest warnings yet issued by the U.S. government about the nuclear stakes.

It was not immediately clear whether Biden was referring to any new assessment of Russian intentions. As recently as this week, though, U.S. officials have said they have seen no change to Russia’s nuclear forces that would require a change in the alert posture of U.S. nuclear forces. "

NOTE: Allegedly no new info sparked these comments from Biden

"A US official said Thursday night that despite Biden’s warning that the world is the closest it has been to a nuclear crisis since the 1960s, they have not seen a change to Russia’s nuclear posture as of now." Just FYI.

Edited by StarstruckIllusion
  • Shook 4
  • Sad 4
CatelynnMarie

this thread is apparently what he fully said: 

Edited by CatelynnMarie
holy scheisse
5 minutes ago, CatelynnMarie said:

this is apparently what he fully said: 

So did he actually say “Armageddon” or is that language sensationalism in the tweet in the OP? 🤔 

nvm yeah looks like he did indeed say Armageddon jfc 🤡🫠

Edited by holy scheisse
Papergangstuh

Sometimes I think the internet and social media + headlines were a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Stevies Cockatoo

the way i just nod and smile when i see things like this because this decade has been shitty enough

you're not safe.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Aussie

First time? Haven’t we been warned time and time again about North Korea and Iran being a clear and present danger for nuclear war?

CatelynnMarie
1 minute ago, holy scheisse said:

So did he actually say “Armageddon” or is that language sensationalism in the tweet in the OP? 🤔 

"

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden said Thursday that the risk of nuclear “Armageddon” is at the highest level since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, as Russian officials speak of the possibility of using tactical nuclear weapons after suffering massive setbacks in the eight-month invasion of Ukraine.

Speaking at a fundraiser for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Biden said Russian President Vladimir Putin was “a guy I know fairly well” and the Russian leader was “not joking when he talks about the use of tactical nuclear weapons or biological or chemical weapons.”

Biden added, “We have not faced the prospect of Armageddon since Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis.” He suggested the threat from Putin is real “because his military is — you might say — significantly underperforming.”

U.S. officials for months have warned of the prospect that Russia could use weapons of mass destruction in Ukraine as it has faced a series of strategic setbacks on the battlefield, though Biden’s remarks marked the starkest warnings yet issued by the U.S. government about the nuclear stakes.

It was not immediately clear whether Biden was referring to any new assessment of Russian intentions. As recently as this week, though, U.S. officials have said they have seen no change to Russia’s nuclear forces that would require a change in the alert posture of U.S. nuclear forces. "

https://apnews.com/article/biden-nuclear-risk-1d0f1e40cff3a92c662c57f274ce0e25

he did say it, I just thought it would be helpful to put more info. the title is terrifying and any/ all info about this I just thought it would be better to have included too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
sarahb

Cool

I mean I can't do anything about it so I'm not gonna waste any time worrying :shrug:

• Thanks 3
ALGAYDO
1 minute ago, Aussie said:

First time? Haven’t we been warned time and time again about North Korea and Iran being a clear and present danger for nuclear war?

But NK and Iran are known to bullshít their nuclear shít. Russian, on the other hand, 100% has nuclear weapons ready. That’s why a lot of us are actually scared when they threaten others with offensive nuclear attacks 

• Like 3
StarstruckIllusion
3 minutes ago, CatelynnMarie said:

"

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden said Thursday that the risk of nuclear “Armageddon” is at the highest level since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, as Russian officials speak of the possibility of using tactical nuclear weapons after suffering massive setbacks in the eight-month invasion of Ukraine.

Speaking at a fundraiser for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Biden said Russian President Vladimir Putin was “a guy I know fairly well” and the Russian leader was “not joking when he talks about the use of tactical nuclear weapons or biological or chemical weapons.”

https://apnews.com/article/biden-nuclear-risk-1d0f1e40cff3a92c662c57f274ce0e25

he did say it, I just thought it would be helpful to put more info. the title is terrifying and any/ all info about this I just thought it would be better to have included too 

Thank you, but the title is terrifying bc the reality is terrifying. For him to mention the Cuban Nuclear crisis… that was one glitch away from being a nuclear disaster, was it not?

• Like 2
Dennis

Putin couldn't be happier right now. This strategy will only encourage every madman in the world to constantly threaten nuclear strikes, wait until NK and Iran get their nukes.

Biden shouldn't have talked about this. It is best to ignore these threats rather than entertain them, dismiss them or amplify them. Yes of course they have risks, which we need to quietly consider and prepare for, but showing fear in face of these threats will only encourage these madmen to do it more.

Ivy

I'm so tired of these humans who only care about power and don't give a **** about anything else

• Love 1
  • Thanks 4
  • StarstruckIllusion changed the title to Biden warns of nuclear Armageddon; nothing new tho