USE CODE BLACKFRIDAY TO GET 20% OFF EVERYTHING
economy

Ontario Minimum Wage Rising This Weekend To $15.50/h

Economy

Featured Posts

monstertoronto

That’s good news that this will carry forward to rise with inflation. 50 cents seems like a low raise but at least it’s in the right direction! 

Economy
5 minutes ago, monstertoronto said:

That’s good news that this will carry forward to rise with inflation. 50 cents seems like a low raise but at least it’s in the right direction! 

50 cents isn't big or small. It's inflation adjusted which means in real value it did not change 

The last manual jumps were kinda big. In a short time it went from $10.25 to $14/h although it did freeze at $14 for a bit before jumping to $15

This year was the first automatic inflation adjustment but yeah it's good they are continuing that cuz being tied to inflation makes it more consistent and predictable for both businesses and people alike

Edited by Economy
  • Like 3
Just A Holy Fool

Tied to inflation is good, but kind of useless when it was already far behind to adequately match cost-of-living, especially in major centres like Toronto. What person is affording to live in Toronto anywhere at $15.50/hour? I make over $30.00/hr and even my options are limited. 

• Like 1
HarleyQuinGa2022
14 minutes ago, Just A Holy Fool said:

Tied to inflation is good, but kind of useless when it was already far behind to adequately match cost-of-living, especially in major centres like Toronto. What person is affording to live in Toronto anywhere at $15.50/hour? I make over $30.00/hr and even my options are limited. 

I question your lifestyle to say that at $30/hr your “options are limited”. $30/hr is very liveable in Ontario and even in BC. That’s double than what minimum wage earners make. You’re making around $4800/month before taxes. That is way beyond $2300-$2400/month that people are making on minimum wage in Ontario and even in BC. In Vancouver, Canada’s most expensive city, $2500/month can pay for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in some of the nicest neighbourhoods. That would leave you with $1500 for everything else, if you’re making $30/hr. Again, I highly question the lifestyle you live to say $30/hr is not liveable. And it’s quite an entitled privileged viewpoint to act like you have it bad when compared to how people on minimum wage suffer. People making that $15.50/hr are paying $1800-$2000 for rent and squeezing by with a couple hundred extra for everything else.  True suffering however is how people on government assistance have to live on only about $950/month. That’s suffering. 

Edited by HarleyQuinGa2022
  • Like 1
gumzy3000

I can't speak for all of Ontario but its impossible to survive on minimum wage in the GTA. 

trolly troll troll
  • Like 1
Economy
1 hour ago, Just A Holy Fool said:

The problem tho is that there's nothing u can do to make cities like Toronto affordable with wage increases

There is a chronic housing shortage and housing affordability crisis which is the main reason above all cost of living is so high...

In a shortage of housing and rentals ppl always gotta compete to bid to lock some out of the market. The result of that is no matter how much incomes might hypothetically rise, the cost of housing in particular would always go up with it. Making it impossible to ever make cost of living affordable with wage increases

In Canada if u wanna make life affordable for the typical person, even more so than looking at wages, housing and childcare issues need to be fixed. Those are the things really stealing the bulk of people's incomes

Economy
47 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

I can't speak for all of Ontario but its impossible to survive on minimum wage in the GTA. 

Even with room mates or if ur in a 2 income relationship ur being squeezed

• Sad 1