Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Born This Way Ball: The Final Chapter - 2013 NA Leg discussion thread

Pure Adrenaline

Featured Posts

Pure Adrenaline

Can somebody post pictures of the new Scheisse outfit?

006.jpg

015.jpg

normal_075.jpg

normal_094.jpg

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

wecanbestrong

Cheesy. And she sounds bloated. MTN has been my favorite song from here entire catalogue since the BTW release, and now, it's nothing more than my que for when to exit the arena to avoid crowds. Shows over for me. Y'all enjoy it. :rip:

I think it's amazing. At least it's all live unlike songs like Alejandro where she barely sings. The music is awesome Born in The USA era 80s Springsteen synth.

wecanbestrong

Amazing review from Phoenix. Seeing the youtube videos she really was on fire that night.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/20130124-lady-gaga-phoenix-review-born-way-ball-tour.html

By Joe Golfen The Republic | azcentral.com Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 AM

Lady Gaga sure knows how to make an entrance.

The pop superstar arrived onstage at US Airways Center in Phoenix on Wednesday, Jan. 23, singing “Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)†while riding through the gates of an elaborate three-story castle atop a human-powered robotic horse and dressed in a fearsome, “Alienâ€-inspired outfit.

And that was just the first song.

The nearly two-and-a-half hour show, a stop on her worldwide Born This Way Ball, highlighted everything that has made Lady Gaga such a phenomenon. There were outrageous outfits, elaborate set pieces, s-xy dance numbers, and messages of self-respect and gay rights. Plus, all those hit songs.

And while much of Gaga’s shock value has worn off with time, that packed arena of screaming fans made it clear that her star wasn’t going to be fading away anytime soon.

That’s not to say there weren’t a few shocking moments. While she skipped the controversial “gun bra,†which some fans found insensitive in light of recent school shootings, the intro to “Born This Way†did feature Gaga giving birth to herself out of an inflatable pregnant belly, complete with enormous legs and a well-placed zipper

The tightly-choreographed show seemed as much a Broadway-style musical as it did a pop concert, complete with a loose story about Gaga being an alien from G.O.A.T. (Government Owned Alien Territory), sent to study the music and fashion of Earth in order to take it over.

Mother G.O.A.T., a floating, “Max Headroomâ€-style head would occasionally address the crowd, talking about the need to capture Gaga, who herself spent some time explaining her alien origins and plans for world domination. Meanwhile, the pop diva went through an impressive range of costume changes, all designed by famed fashion labels Versace, Moschino and Armani.

But for all the theatrics, it was really the music that drove the packed arena crazy. The crowd went absolutely insane for songs such as “Born This Way,†the title track from her multi-platinum 2011 release, as well as “â€Black Jesus † Amen Fashion†and “Bloody Mary.â€

The stage featured a circular runway that jutted out into the crowd, allowing fans a close look at Gaga and her dancers as they paraded around.

Gaga emerged from an enormous egg for “Bad Romance,†much like the one she arrived in at the 2011 Grammy Awards, and “Judas†found her fighting to break free from a pair of burly, half-naked captors.

For “Heavy Metal Lover,†Gaga recreated the hilariously ridiculous album art of “Born This Way,†laying across a three-wheeled motorcycle, with her arms forming the front forks of the bike and turning her face into the headlight. This Gaga bike was soon mounted by a female rider, who drove it around the runway a bit more sensually than your average biker might.

A lively version of “Poker Face†featured Gaga tied to a rack alongside cuts of beef while wearing her famous meat dress (though this time it looked pretty vegetarian). During the song, Gaga and a few of her dancers were fed into enormous meat grinders, and while the results weren’t as gory as they might be at a Gwar show, it was over-the-top fun.

Between songs, Gaga spent a long time talking to the crowd about how she always dreamed of being a pop star and the hard work it took to get her there, thanking the crowd many times for their years of support. She even sang “Happy Birthday†to one of her dancers, a 23-year-old called Black Jesus, who seemed genuinely moved when the crowd started to sing along.

“Five years ago, I was a waitress in New York City,†Gaga told the crowd at one point as they erupted in applause. “Now there are 15,000 people in Phoenix singing every word to my songs.â€

While she probably says something to that effect each night of the show, Gaga really managed to sell the audience on her gratitude. She didn’t come off as phony or arrogant, and the crowd returned that gratitude to her tenfold. A significant portion of the audience even came dressed in revealing Gaga tribute costumes, practically making blonde wigs, spandex and giant white sunglasses the dress-code for the pit area.

At one point in the night, Gaga called a girl in the crowd on her cell phone to invite her backstage and to tell everyone that the call was part of an ongoing promotion with Virgin Mobile, and that $5,000 would now be donated to a local homeless shelter. Needless to say, the lucky fan was delighted.

The night drew to a close with “Paparazzi,†during which Gaga defeated the menacing Mother G.O.A.T. using a magic “disco stick,†a nod to her tune “Love Games.â€

After ending the show with “Scheiße,†Gaga returned for an encore of “The Edge of Glory†and “Marry the Night.â€

Before she hit her final note, Gaga looked into the massive crowd and asked them “to never forget me, because I’ll never forget you.â€

But after the 25-song spectacle she’d just put on, Lady Gaga needn’t worry about slipping her fan’s minds anytime soon.

wecanbestrong

Why are GA Areas in American Arenas so tiny?

I mean... Look at the GA Area in Vienna for example:543946_553165568057280_135788766_n.jpg

At a concert that The Who were giving in Ohio in 1979, eleven people were trampled to death because of a rush to get to the front of general admission. Ever since US promoters and venues have been more cautious about crowds than Europeans.

bumblebee

It's not that GA Areas in America are tiny, it's just that in Vienna out of all the 13,000 BTWB attenders only like 5,000 were having seats and 8,000 had to be on the floor. It's the construction difference

ChristianSaad

I mean... Look at the GA Area in Vienna for example:543946_553165568057280_135788766_n.jpg

Holy moly that's a PACKED ga section.. you guys should have seen the floor in LA it was 1/4th completely empty in the back, maybe even more than that..

Any videos from Las Vegas?

MARRY THE NIGHT IN VEGAS NIGHT #1

nick4bty

Cheesy. And she sounds bloated. MTN has been my favorite song from here entire catalogue since the BTW release, and now, it's nothing more than my que for when to exit the arena to avoid crowds. Shows over for me. Y'all enjoy it. :rip:

K.

Holy moly that's a PACKED ga section.. you guys should have seen the floor in LA it was 1/4th completely empty in the back, maybe even more than that..

MARRY THE NIGHT IN VEGAS NIGHT #1

I love how they're all standing together but the one fan in the tight brown pants is up there doing some half-dance/half-modeling moves :dies:

bumblebee

An amazing review from the Las Vegas Sun, by Andrea Domanick:

Lady Gaga returned to MGM Grand Garden Arena on Friday night with her “Born This Way Ball†tour, a two-hour extravaganza involving heaping doses of camp, fashion, theatrics and a couch made out of meat.

Aesthetic oversaturation is Gaga’s signature as a performer, and her creative team and she have mastered the delicate art of keeping the audience equally focused on Gaga as an individual as they were on the rest of the set and performers. After all, fans don’t just come to see Lady Gaga -- they come to see a Lady Gaga show.

Gaga herself stood out, but never detracted from, her backup dancers in a bubblegum-gothic variety of costume changes that included a flowing pastel pink wig, black latex, white lace -- wedding dresses abounded -- and her signature fishnet stockings.

“I’ve been wearing these fishnets since I was 16 years old,†she declared during one of the many self-affirmation speeches that are a hallmark of the “Born This Way†tour. “I’ve been wearing this leather, too. And you know I would’ve worn this wig, but I couldn’t afford it. You better believe I can f*cking affording it now!â€

The visual overload is a wise decision on the part of her directors and set designers, keeping the audience distracted while set pieces were changed or when Gaga slipped away for a costume change. As a result, the show rarely lagged at any point during its 120 minutes.

The show’s plot was admittedly not as cohesive as the journey-through-New-York saga of her previous “Monster Ball†tour -- it was never really clear who or what Mother G.O.A.T. was, or that she was Gaga’s nemesis until Gaga emerged to “kill†her with her disco stick during “Paparazzi.†It also relied on many of the same spectacle tropes that defined her “Monster Ball†tour: There was a keyboard on the handles of her motorcycle, much like the previous tour featured a keyboard under the hood of a car; Gaga once again “called†a fan in the crowd to surprise her (though it was a nonetheless tear-jerking moment); and there was another monster to fight on the road to glory.

But in this case, the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it†aphorism couldn’t apply more. Gaga isn’t a musician -- she’s a showwoman, and those tropes highlight what ultimately set her apart as a true pop star. The hidden keyboards set solo moments to showcase her very real talent as a singer; the phone calls exemplify her commitment to maintaining a connection with fans; and the monsters capture the “us vs. them†ethos upon which she built her career, and that allows her to be at once relatable and larger than life.

Gaga wrapped the show with a promise to “take over the world with Art Pop†-- a reference to her upcoming album. I don’t doubt that she will.

All credits go to Andrea Domanick from Las Vegas Sun

I bet he doesn't know it's ARTPOP not Art Pop :lolgaga: . A nice review though, I think it should be added to the Wikipedia Page of the Ball