đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Older females getting #1 singles - next new trend?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Up until fairly recently, it was generally next to impossible to get a #1 single if you were a female over 30. Long gone are the days when Cher got #1 with Believe (52), Madonna with Music (42) and Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado and Fergie were ruling the charts in their early-late 30's. But lately, there has been a growing trend of women over 30 achieving not just #1's but a bunch of additional top tens into the bargain. In the last few years, look at this emerging pattern (in the US)...

Lady Gaga - Shallow (33)

Lizzo - Truth Hurts (31) + Good As Hell at #3 and Rumors at #4 in 2021

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (50)

Nicki Minaj - featured verse on Say So (Remix), Trollz (37) + #2 with Do We Have A Problem? in 2021

Beyonce - featured verse on Savage (Remix) (38)

Lady Gaga - Rain On Me (34) + Stupid Love at #5

Taylor Swift - Cardigan, Willow (30 and 31 respectively) + #6 with Exile and #4 with The 1

M.I.A. - featured verse on Franchise (45)

Adele - Easy On Me (33) + #5 with Oh My God

Taylor Swift - All Too Well (Taylor's Version) (31)

Lizzo - About Damn Time (34)

Beyonce - Break My Soul (40)

Nicki Minaj - Super Freaky Girl (39)

And not to forget the amazing delayed #3 hit for Kate Bush this year at the age of 63!

So, is this more than a brief coincidence? Is the music industry and the wider public opening up their minds to the fact that older females make great music and it deserves to be bought and recognised? Discuss.

SlaeUrAnus

Kate still hit #1 in many other major music markets too. 

Shame US flopped :giveup:

In my messy era.

Tinnitus15

It’s about time Gaga to bag that #1 with a SOLO hit!not that it matters but she has to!

Dr Fudge

I’m sure it’s a much more complex phenomenon than what I’m about to describe, but I think the accessibly of music via streaming and the current trendiness of nostalgia definitely play a big factor here too! With so many viral trends featuring older songs from beloved artists, these musicians aren’t being forgotten about like one hit wonders from the 80s and 90s. Then with TikTok being wildly popular, Artists can promote their music in tons of easily accessible ways too (ex: Lizzo was a marketing genius with how she made ADT a huge hit via TikTok). 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

hijadeputa
1 minute ago, Tinnitus15 said:

It’s about time Gaga to bag that #1 with a SOLO hit!not that it matters but she has to!

She will get it most likely, I mean the Chromatica ball is a huge success and with the Joker boozt she can probably get her fart to debut at #1

Anderson123

Sia was also the first over 40 since Madonna with Music I think, Cheap Thrills in 2016 or 2017. I hope we see more of this.

Cello

slay ladies!

also, Lizzo is in her 30s??? why did I think she was like 25 

she/her 👹🖤 | 🚫Tabloid Junkie🎶

Rahrahbitchson

If Drake can have a #1 every now and then with 35 years then why are we surprise the females are having them too? I know men have a thing we love :neyde::sis: but is time to END THEM 

ariana-and-what-about-it.gif

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙

Guillaume Hamon
34 minutes ago, Dr Fudge said:

Lizzo was a marketing genius with how she made ADT a huge hit via TikTok). 

She didn't just let the influencers do the work?? :)

37 minutes ago, Tinnitus15 said:

Tbh if we talk about fancy charts achievements I would rather have Gaga boosting her record for "the number of 10 millions+ certified singles owned by a female act" by getting her fifth.

#1s depends highly of the competition of the moment. Bad Romance being her biggest single yet peaking a #2 shows that just like MJ's thriller never being first of the BB100 while several more minors songs he released achieved it. Long terme sales actually shows the actual success of the song imo.

Some artists with more #1s songs than Gaga sometimes have way less singles sold overall since they get forgettable chart-toppers while Gaga has more actual real hits.

GRIMEZSZ

And don’t forget Sir Elton who is celebrating her legacy doing remixes with his songs. Cold Heart it’s a smash WW and Hold Me Closer it’s going to be successful too hopefully. 

This new Elton strategy is very clever and i think Madonna want to do the same but it’s failing. Frozen tiktok remix is very bland vs Cold Heart and Hold Me Closer.

The Z
1 hour ago, Tinnitus15 said:

I'm sure she will, maybe not soon, but she will

Leoooo

I saw a video on Tiktok discussing how the Kardashians are (for their own benefit but it is a good thing generally) normalising the idea that 40+ is still a good thing, you can still be 'hot', still have fun etc etc, I think maybe that is now trickling its way into the mainstream idea around women and age. For all the faults of that show and family I do think that's kind of promising for future & current women in the business. Young people still think they're cool despite being a lot older than them so it's probably made a female singers age much less of a factor in whether or not they are relatable or relevant.

Ofcourse also making something that is actually a bop helps :ally:

Archived