💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Musicals are not always bright and funny

Meat

Featured Posts

Meat

Hi my fellow little monstrosities :saira:

So after going through the Joker 2 thread, I saw that 90% of this cult site thinks that all musicals are like Mamma Mia and Mary Poppins :confused: 

I'm not sure why you guys think that musicals can't be dark but having said that, I highly recommend everyone to watch Lars Von Triers masterpiece "Dancer in the Dark". It stars Bjork as a factory worker who suffers from a scary disease and is quite literally one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. The movie opened to rave reviews and Bjork won best actress at the Cannes Film Festival while also earning her first Oscar nomination for best original song.

So far, Gaga has been extremely careful while selecting her roles and has achieved an insane amount of success with both of them. So I'm sure she knows what she's doing. Not to mention Joaquin is notorious for hating franchises and sequels, and if he signed up for this movie, there must be a good reason for it.

In the end, all I'd like to say is that musicals don't always look like this :deadbanana:

tumblr_pjp1lhx44S1qg8r34o4_540-1.gif

They can also look like this, only if you broaden your horizon :flutter:

bjork-dancer-in-the-dark.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr Fudge

Or like this 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS77lR_bXKONGM8154yj43

or this

9U9Vuch83zV4PnqZhCQnlQIvMZT.jpg

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

Night Vision

Yeah, I think the term "musical" is definitely throwing people off from what it's likely going to be. I guess that could be a good thing as they will be surprised when it comes out and they see it. I have a feeling it will be very dark, artistic, innovative, innovative, and experimental.

Dojo

they aren't i agree with that. 

one thing is that no matter how dark and twisted, they always have that broadway caricaturesqué be bop signature that is hard to ignore.

Even when is just one actor singing  with a empty background and no dancers at all.

and i am 100% sure it will have lots of comedy tones since the joker is very eccentric and kitschy.

do we have a CATS 2.0 upon us? we might. 

I had to think of the Buffy Musical episode, which was really well-received and had a rather dark conclusion and comedy in it as well. And there was a sort of meta explanation as to why everyone was singing, I imagine that could be the case for the film as well.

Mother of Puppies

First thing that came to my mind was Sweeney Todd

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you đŸ§č

Meat
9 minutes ago, dojo said:

they aren't i agree with that. 

one thing is that no matter how dark and twisted, they always have that broadway caricaturesqué be bop signature that is hard to ignore.

Even when is just one actor singing  with a empty background and no dancers at all.

and i am 100% sure it will have lots of comedy tones since the joker is very eccentric and kitschy.

do we have a CATS 2.0 upon us? we might. 

What part of ASIB is "broadway caricaturesqué be bop signature" to you? :oprah: They never said it's a traditional broadway musical, it might very well have a few songs and thats it. 

Dojo
Just now, Meat said:

What part of ASIB is "broadway caricaturesqué be bop signature" to you? :oprah: They never said it's a traditional broadway musical, it might very well have a few songs and thats it. 

mark my words! it will be very over the top, with the city lights, props, pyrotechnics, dancers in crazy customes, very circus like! 

RudraCNG

Even if they are, what's the problem with it? Why that obsession with dark/edy themes? Dark =/= mature, y'know?

Meat
Just now, dojo said:

mark my words! it will be very over the top, with the city lights, props, pyrotechnics, dancers in crazy customes, very circus like! 

The movie is literally about a mental illness and is expected to be darker than the original but sure sis :river:

Chesescake

I believe this is what ppl think when they are talking bout Joker musical

Meat
Just now, RudraCNG said:

Even if they are, what's the problem with it? Why that obsession with dark/edy themes? Dark =/= mature, y'know?

Gaga fans have a long history of only wanting her to do stuff with dark themes. Which is why I was surprised to see the majority of this site hating on Joker 2. I mean this is like the holy grail of darkness. 

Dojo
3 minutes ago, Meat said:

The movie is literally about a mental illness and is expected to be darker than the original but sure sis :river:

well yes but that's the thing about the joker sis, he sings and he dances trough his pain and this time is not only about him but the good ol sis harley that is bats*** crazy LOVES to put on a proper SHOW, yassss

Reality
8 minutes ago, RudraCNG said:

Because the first movie was “dark” and “edgy”, so it’s expected that the sequel keep that same tone.

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Archived