💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

why do new christmas music not stick anymore?

waterfall

Featured Posts

waterfall

just a random thought tbh. during christmas time these were the three main types of christmas music that would reenter the charts:

- christmas church/oldie kinda classics

- acts once out of the peak christmas music (ed/elton collab did really well last year, leone lewis's one more sleep, etc)

AND FINALLY...

- pop christmas songs

i remember back in the late 1990s/2000s/early 2010s, lot of big pop artists would release christmas albums/singles and most of their songs hold up to the christmas season. like the amount of streams aifciy, last christmas, santa tell me, mistletoe, underneath the tree would do is insane. however, these days, when big pop artists release christmas songs, they usually do well the first year and then are forgotten by the gp the next christmas season (except for on christmas day). some recent examples: katy's cozy little christmas, taylor's christmas tree farm, etc. this brings me to my question on why? cuz some of them good songs but why don't they stick?

200.gif

weed

At least for AIWFCIY, Mariah doesn't sit back and let it do it's thing. She promotes it every year, increasingly so, creates new versions, music videos, performs it, etc. I don't think any other modern artist pushes their Xmas/holiday song as much.

RAMROD

Modern Christmas music rarely sticks. People had their doubt when Mariah releases All I Want in the 90s too. 

Also a lot of them don't even have Christmas vibe. It's just modern music with Holiday themed lyrics. Nobody want that, I guess. 

(ïŸ‰â—•ăƒźâ—•)✧*: be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ž艞*) ♡♡♡

LateToCult

Santa Tell Me might stick around. I think it does pretty decently in Christmas time and might gain popularity as the years pass.

Chicka

I'd imagine the same reason as any other music. Not catchy enough, not memorable or original enough, not enough promo, bad timing, etc. or any combination of these. And for Christmas music, it needs to be strong enough to be remembered the following season, as well as Christmassy enough to apply to the season. Songs can be good but still easily forgotten if all the stars don't align, and I think this is heightened in Christmas music.

IMO Sia's Everyday Is Christmas is the best pop Christmas music produced in recent memory. It's all in Sia's distinct and unique style, but it incorporates so much of the established Christmas music style elements that it can be used to celebrate the season. And not to mention, it's catchy as hell. I've heard the songs in grocery stores, malls, radio, and tv commercials, every year since its release.

Archived