MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

society

France bans wild circus animals & mink farms

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

344547f958d2d0330c3249f9f89819cdacda0f6a

The French parliament voted Thursday to end wild animals being used in live circus shows and outlawed mink farming, in new animal-rights legislation hailed as a step forward by campaigners.

The new regulations, once signed into law by President Emmanuel Macron, will also ban live dolphin shows and mink farming, meaning the country's last mink producer will close.

As well as the measures targeting circuses, the new law will raise the maximum penality for mistreating animals to up to five years in prison and a fine of 75,000 euros ($85,000), and will tighten restrictions on the sale of pets.

Source - https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211118-france-bans-wild-circus-animals-and-mink-farms

Unable to post since January 3rd 2022
  • Like 9
  • YAAAS 8
  • Love 3
sarahb
11 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The new regulations, once signed into law by President Emmanuel Macron, will also ban live dolphin shows

Oh for ****s sake. Unpopular opinion alert but there's nothing wrong with dolphin shows. They're literally a form of enrichment and it doesn't require abuse at all. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23633033/

"Any behavioral change that may be regarded as anticipatory behavior was not evidently abnormal or stereotypic in nature, and breathing rates remained stable indicating that the animals do not perceive the shows as stressful or as an aversive experience."

https://wildwelfare.org/dolphin-enrichment-what-we-know/

"The study suggested that similar to other animals, positive human-animal interactions between animal keepers and dolphins, can indeed be positive enrichment for dolphins in captivity."

Can we please have laws regarding animals based on scientific studies and not what animal rights activists say/personal feelings?

• Like 6
Andreu

I am actually surprised the usage of wild animals is only being banned now, since in Spain, for example, it has been banned for well over a decade. Great news :applause:

before there was love there was silence
2 hours ago, sarahb said:

Oh for ****s sake. Unpopular opinion alert but there's nothing wrong with dolphin shows. They're literally a form of enrichment and it doesn't require abuse at all. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23633033/

"Any behavioral change that may be regarded as anticipatory behavior was not evidently abnormal or stereotypic in nature, and breathing rates remained stable indicating that the animals do not perceive the shows as stressful or as an aversive experience."

https://wildwelfare.org/dolphin-enrichment-what-we-know/

"The study suggested that similar to other animals, positive human-animal interactions between animal keepers and dolphins, can indeed be positive enrichment for dolphins in captivity."

Can we please have laws regarding animals based on scientific studies and not what animal rights activists say/personal feelings?

A few killer whales and dolphins died in Marineland Antibes though, they are incapable to take care of them or the park itself, even the polar bear is suffering there from the high temp. 
Also they have “meet the dolphin” and it’s stressful for the dolphins, they dolphin needs to pass through up to 10 people and be touched by them and hear new voices telling them commands.

The purpose of this ban is to finally force the park to close down imo and honestly I wish for this day to come.

"There could be 99 toilets in a house, and it's my house" - River, 2021
sarahb
8 hours ago, River said:

A few killer whales and dolphins died in Marineland Antibes though, they are incapable to take care of them or the park itself, even the polar bear is suffering there from the high temp. 
Also they have “meet the dolphin” and it’s stressful for the dolphins, they dolphin needs to pass through up to 10 people and be touched by them and hear new voices telling them commands.

The purpose of this ban is to finally force the park to close down imo and honestly I wish for this day to come.

I don't know anything about the program but, is it actually stressful though? Or is that just what some people say? 

And if it closes down their main option (for the whales at least) will be to go to Chinese parks. 

Not going to say all Chinese parks are bad but the animal welfare laws there aren't really a thing. Wouldn't it be better to improve the welfare in France than just close it down and ship them out?

Edited by sarahb
sarahb
7 minutes ago, flyaway said:

When will they ban zoos as well? 

Face Palm No GIF

I swear to god people if you care about animals there's some actual bad things to be against :fail:

Edited by sarahb
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, sarahb said:

And if it closes down their main option (for the whales at least) will be to go to Chinese parks. 

Not going to say all Chinese parks are bad but the animal welfare laws there aren't really a thing. Wouldn't it be better to improve the welfare in France than just close it down and ship them out?

It is a problematic situation, the parks in China are not so great either, even worst, and they most likely will die during the transfer.. the goal is to prevent this plan to happen too.

The owners of the park (the Spanish mega amusement parks company Parques Reunidos) don't care about the welfare of the animals, the problems lies here and it's really unlikely, with the negative reception right now in the world, that someone else will buy out the park.

The ban is good, but irresponsible and without a further proper plan, a typical move for politicians let's say, but at the end it needed to be done.

Economy
On 11/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, River said:

So they are mamikg a law because of 1 specific park or am i misunderstanding?

25 minutes ago, Economy said:

So they are mamikg a law because of 1 specific park or am i misunderstanding?

there are a few more parks that does dolphin shows but this one is the most problematic one, Asterix Park used to do these shows but they stopped early this year.

bionic
6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

(Just stumbled upon this)

pf3t5xq7jc281.jpg

The combination of countries in red was a surprise.

I think we need to ban a lot of animals from being kept as pets.

buy bionic
FfFfFfFF
18 hours ago, bionic said:

The combination of countries in red was a surprise.

I think we need to ban a lot of animals from being kept as pets.

Yeah, Iran + Bolivia + 3 Mediteranean European countries is a bit of a random combo.

It would be interesting to see the reason why those particular countries are against animal use in circuses. I assume there are historical and socio-political reasons besides the desire to protect animal rights. 

Unable to post since January 3rd 2022