K-Pop star dragged for mouthing racial slur

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HEARTSTOP

Context and intention is everything.

I think these things are way more important than what the action is.

A person can offend me by calling me a cupcake if their intention is clear to do so. And a person might not offend me by using the f-word if I see they don't mean any harm or are just being playful about it.

Same thing goes for people who get offended when anyone curses around them. Like, what does it matter?

Forbidding words is dumb. Forbidding behaviors is not.

Either way, the n-word's history comes from the US, you can't expect the whole world to understand and be subservient to American "rules".

IDGAF

bionic
1 minute ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Context and intention is everything.

I think these things are way more important than what the action is.

A person can offend me by calling me a cupcake if their intention is clear to do so. And a person might not offend me by using the f-word if I see they don't mean any harm or are just being playful about it.

Same thing goes for people who get offended when anyone curses around them. Like, what does it matter?

Either way, the n-word's history comes from the US, you can't expect the whole world to understand and be subservient to American "rules".

100%. I wish we had education culture and not cancel culture. Nobody knows absolutely everything, about the etiquette or interacting with every individual, group etc. But if they're told and refuse to listen/learn, go wild.

buy bionic

SchwineLove
4 hours ago, bionic said:

Is it that difficult to just not lipsyncing one word?

that is extra difficult to hyper-aware of one certain word when enjoying lipsyncing. she might forgot it. or now we have to train ourselves to not murmur the n word when listen to the song privately, so we don't slip when singing it in public or merely lipsyncing. it's TIRING.

edit : in retrospect, i think that's a good idea to train ourselves to avoid the n word even privately, no sarcasm. that way we can internalize our respect and awareness to the black people. but again, i still think it's tiring to be hyper-aware. 

bionic
2 minutes ago, SchwineLove said:

that is extra difficult to hyper-aware of one certain word when enjoying lipsyncing. she might forgot it. or now we have to train ourselves to not murmur the n word when listen to the song privately, so we don't slip when singing it in public or merely lipsyncing. it's TIRING.

As I've said elsewhere in thread, if its just a mistake, a slip-up, whatever. I'm not getting angry or cancelling anyone for that. If they know better and don't care, that's where I have a problem.

I'm sorry you find it exhausting to be sensitive of racial hate crimes?

buy bionic

SchwineLove
2 minutes ago, bionic said:

As I've said elsewhere in thread, if its just a mistake, a slip-up, whatever. I'm not getting angry or cancelling anyone for that. If they know better and don't care, that's where I have a problem.

I'm sorry you find it exhausting to be sensitive of racial hate crimes?

already exhausted of the gaslighting. I never said those words.

bionic
3 minutes ago, SchwineLove said:

already exhausted of the gaslighting. I never said those words.

Im sorry I interpreted your message that way. Thanks for the explanation to help clarify

buy bionic

SchwineLove
Just now, bionic said:

Im sorry I interpreted your message that way. Thanks for the explanation to help clarify

thank God, thank you. I'm sensitive to hostility. have a good day.

Oke i might come of as a little ignorant and im not trying to be hatefull here but in my opinion if you dont want poeple to sing or even lipsing the n Word than dont put it in your songs or am i just thinking the wrong way?

bionic
6 minutes ago, Suuus said:

Oke i might come of as a little ignorant and im not trying to be hatefull here but in my opinion if you dont want poeple to sing or even lipsing the n Word than dont put it in your songs or am i just thinking the wrong way?

For some black people using the word is a way for them to reclaim it (like some LGBT with f**). It doesn't give people outside that group a free pass. 

buy bionic

Agunimon
4 hours ago, Shipper said:

Is it widely known in Korea that the n word is a racial slur? Dont hold everyone to western standards since they do have a different language primarily and they will need education on why it is wrong to say it rather than backlash.

Reminds me of that incident where this small time asian boyband said, "Hello N***ros," to their fans who lives in a place called as such and western community were out with their pitchforks and angry. It was just like saying, Hello Vegas or Hello London to their fans. They needed to know why it was wrong. 

I had a friend who was from Seoul who I worked with. She was teaching me Korean. In Korean, there's a word that sounds very similar to it. It's an informal way to say "I" in Korean. When I was learning, she would always act so shocked and said not to say that word just in case someone could think that I am saying the n word.

2 minutes ago, bionic said:

For some black people using the word is a way for them to reclaim it (like some LGBT with f**). It doesn't give people outside that group a free pass. 

I get that they wanna reclaim what theres and i also I never said that people outside the group deserve a free pass dont put words in my mouth but i just feel like this problem can be easily avoided by not putting the n Word in your songs

bionic
3 minutes ago, Suuus said:

I get that they wanna reclaim what theres and i also I never said that people outside the group deserve a free pass dont put words in my mouth but i just feel like this problem can be easily avoided by not putting the n Word in your songs

I wasn't putting words in your mouth I was explaining it in the context of this thread. The original artist feeling comfortable using it doesn't make it OK for someone who isn't black to use it or lip sync to it or whatever. I agree it could be avoided by just not using it, but its not my place to regulate how people reject institutional discrimination

buy bionic

1 minute ago, bionic said:

I wasn't putting words in your mouth I was explaining it in the context of this thread. The original artist feeling comfortable using it doesn't make it OK for someone who isn't black to use it or lip sync to it or whatever. I agree it could be avoided by just not using it, but its not my place to regulate how people reject institutional discrimination

Ah thank you for your exsplanation i understand you now 

Meruk Holland
1 hour ago, bionic said:

There is an interesting ethical dilemma to producing art that potentially normalizes the use of such terms. Especially considering that its all but impossible to have an audience entirely comprised of a single demographic. I don't think that even denouncement from the artist is enough to negate the effects of the normalization. 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived