science

Dogs should be able to understand human intentions, according to new study

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

3103.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=997cc562b7bcfb04de3f4f0e3d1b4c59Scientists have long wondered whether dogs know what’s going on inside of our heads—a sophisticated cognitive ability known as theory of mind. A new study adds more evidence that they do.

During the process the researchers tested the dog on three conditions: in one they attempted to offer a treat but “accidentally” dropped it on their side of the screen and said “oops!”, in another, they tried to offer a treat but the gap was blocked. In a third, the researcher offered the treat, but then suddenly withdrew it and said: “Ha ha!”

The results, based on analysis of video recordings of 51 dogs, reveal that the dogs waited longer before walking around the screen to get the treat directly in the case of the sudden withdrawal of the morsel than for the other two situations. They were also more likely stop wagging their tail and sit or lie down. image.jpg

The team writes that the dogs clearly show different behaviour between the different conditions. “This indicates that dogs indeed distinguish intentional actions from unintentional behaviour,” they write.

“Our findings provide important initial evidence that dogs may have at least one aspect of theory of mind: the capacity to recognise intention-in-action,” the authors write, noting among other animals to show such an ability are chimpanzees, African grey parrots and horses.

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/sep/01/german-scientists-find-fresh-evidence-of-canine-intelligencehttps://www.science.org/content/article/does-your-dog-know-what-you-re-thinking

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 2
  • Love 9
Helxig

Humankinds perfect companion animal, selectively bred for hundreds of thousands of years :tony:  modern dogs are literally made by humans, for humans. They've been bred in such a way their behaviours and instincts match human behaviour. Dogs are so special :giveup: 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
PartySick

Dogs are great :diane:

Mine definitely knows my behavior and personality at least as well as I know hers. She's my best friend :heart:

Home: a place that you only dream of when you're all alone
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Dogs are amazing, my shiba Momo is like my child for me, he is soooo sweet and unique, I couldn't wish for a better life companion. 

shiba GIF

• Love 4
Luna Lovegood

Cats >>> 

Spoiler

jk we love both of them 

Gretchen GIF by POPline

luna’s advocate
  • YAAAS 4
Healed My Heart

I believe this for sure! Dogs are so perceptive and sensitive to our energies.

I've had my pup for over 10 years and he's my best bud. It always amazes me how in tune we are with each other. When I'm feeling happy, he is all smiles and a total goofball. When I am feeling sad or experiencing a depressive episode, he is suddenly right by my side, calm, caring for me, and being extra attentive. I have no doubt he  knows what's going on with me on an emotional level and responds to it.

Side note: He is now a two-time cancer survivor! He had surgery last week to remove a tumor we caught early and is recovering nicely :heart:

She/her 💗💜💙
  • Love 4
FfFfFfFF
6 hours ago, Helxig said:

Humankinds perfect companion animal, selectively bred for hundreds of thousands of years :tony:  modern dogs are literally made by humans, for humans. They've been bred in such a way their behaviours and instincts match human behaviour. Dogs are so special :giveup: 

Totally understand where you're coming from, but at the same time it's important to note that the process of domenstication was a two-way process. The wolves got close to humans because they could eat their food scraps, and humans allowed because they found them helpful. It wasn't a process entirely driven by humans, it was beneficial for both species. 

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
FfFfFfFF

Video -