Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Dear Evan Hansen panned by critics

Madam Margolyes

Featured Posts

Madam Margolyes

Dear Evan Hansen, a movie adaptation of the Tony-winning stage musical of the same name, just had its world premiere at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2021. It stars Ben Platt as Evan Hansen, along with Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, and Kaitlyn Dever. Upon its premiere at TIFF, it now holds 39 on Metacritic and 50% on Rotten Tomatoes so far. The performances were praised, but many criticized its direction and writing.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dear-evan-hansen

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dear_evan_hansen

Some tweets from people who attended TIFF:

Although many people criticized the movie a lot, some are loving it

Also i found this one review where its last sentence had me laughing all night:

"Undoubtedly one of the worst movie-musicals ever made. Overwrought and emotionless at the same time, insensitive towards trauma and mental illness, and out of touch with reality. Jail to everyone.:air:

:toofunny:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thierryrreiht

I had never heard of this until I watched the trailer a couple of weeks ago, but when I tell you, the second-hand embarrassment... far too much.

Also can we leave the "misunderstanding that would take 5 seconds to disarm by the main character, but there wouldn't be a movie if he had" premise behind? It's tiiiiired and so cringe.

IllusionLover

I feel like Ben's boyfriend (who also played Evan) would've been better for the role, he's old too but if you shave his mustache he doesn't look as old for the role as Ben

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

It doesn't look believable. The actors is much older than the character should be, which is high school age. And it shows.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

7 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

It doesn't look believable. The actors is much older than the character should be, which is high school age. And it shows.

It's kinda a "thing" now, for some reason it became very common for 30+ to play high school students :laughga:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Morphine Prince

I was looking forward to it. The music from the musical is so good. 

I was hoping the movie would do it justice. 

8 minutes ago, River said:

It's kinda a "thing" now, for some reason it became very common for 30+ to play high school students :laughga:

Same, never get that either. Some castings are better than the other though. In this case, it is a lost for me :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

RichAssPiss

By trying to make Ben Platt look "young" they made him look 10 years older than he actually is. Some of the worst hair and makeup I've ever seen. It's not looking great, which is a shame. Because it could be an interesting movie musical. I think they rushed into production before they had a clear take on the movie just because they wanted to cast Ben. 

thatfoxyfeeling
10 minutes ago, nodandsmile said:

Amy Adams gotta fire her agent 'cause I'm starting to get aggravated 

I was gonna say she’s been in some flops lately, she was really good in Arrival but didn’t get the recognition and nominations she deserved. 

HardlyaSaint
2 minutes ago, thatfoxyfeeling said:

I was gonna say she’s been in some flops lately, she was really good in Arrival but didn’t get the recognition and nominations she deserved. 

Sharp Objects, Arrival, and her DC films appearances as Lois Lane are memorable but it’s films like this and Justice League 2017 which really make me think her agent hates her. 

4 minutes ago, HardlyaSaint said:

Sharp Objects, Arrival, and her DC films appearances as Lois Lane are memorable but it’s films like this and Justice League 2017 which really make me think her agent hates her. 

She's been in at least five Best Picture nominated films in the past decade, and has received six Oscar nominations herself. Her agent and miss Adams herself are doing more than fine. 

ProfessionalClown
38 minutes ago, IllusionLover said:

I feel like Ben's boyfriend (who also played Evan) would've been better for the role, he's old too but if you shave his mustache he doesn't look as old for the role as Ben

Noah galvin? Without facial hair he looks 12 tbh 

Archived