Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

[Update: Camila responds] Camila Cabello’s backup dancer does blackface

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

Chlorine Sevigny
2 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

But if you understand the intention (and I'm sure most people do) what is the issue? "Darker skin tone" is not the punchline - the punchline is he made the common mistakes of choosing an extremely wrong shade and missing patches around his eyes (which was trendy in the 80s to make it look like you'd been on a skiing holiday).

I understand the intention because Camila said it. Would you have known it from just seeing the performance? I wouldn't have. This is not acceptable to darken white skin that much, regardless of the intention, it is blackface. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suspiria
10 minutes ago, Jill said:

Yeah good idea. "Let's just exaggerate this tan so it looks like blackface...even though it isn't...it just looks very much like blackface...even though it isn't". If this thing appears to be blackface that's enough for it to be blackface. I don't understand why you're nitpicking when it comes to this. I would try to get rid of every little thing related to our very problematic past in order to create a more inclusive society, but no no, let's just say this is a "very exaggerated tan". Blackface? Nah, completely different :neyde: 

Very exaggerated tan and blackface ARE completely different though?:bear: 

idk where you're from but where I live, to this day, tanning salons are extremely common and getting a bad spray tan is basically a rite of passage for teenage girls. People who don't get much sun want to look less pale and unhealthy so they go overboard and accidentally go too dark.

Blackface is a non black person trying to look black.

They are totally different things and everyone knows it.

BlingNotTheMusic

My opinion:

Was it culturally insensitive for a white dancer to use the black emoji? Yes.

Was he probably joking and is ignorant? Yes.

Is all of this Camila's fault? No.

Does Camila have a team behind her that should have foreseen this "outrage" before? Yes.

Will this be blown out of proportion until tomorrow when there's something else to get offended by? Yes.

Should we spend more time fighting actual racism in the real world than on the internet? Yes.

Will any of the comments on GGD (including mine) or social media cause actual change in the world? No.

Amidana
7 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Not surprising, since she’s also the woman who said this:

Reveal hidden contents

420823-C4-9-A7-C-408-C-92-F9-17-F26951-B

Says the Justin Stan, these are fake and confirmed fake 🙄

Suspiria
7 minutes ago, PussPuss said:

I understand the intention because Camila said it. Would you have known it from just seeing the performance? I wouldn't have. This is not acceptable to darken white skin that much, regardless of the intention, it is blackface. 

I genuinely did know yes. Blackface honestly didnt come to my mind. The pale rings around his eyes just made it so obvious to me it was supposed to be a bad tan.

Amidana

As a Camila fan I’m hella disappointed by how she decided to handle the situation. I know she isn’t racist and the intent was mishandled. It’s unacceptable and the fact that the dancer isn’t part of Camilas team 😩

I can see the blackface, but from a culture standpoint I also see the bad spray tan representation that was there in novellas and Latin shows

Justin Drew Bieber
2 minutes ago, Amidana said:

Says the Justin Stan, these are fake and confirmed fake 🙄

Source?

Gimme More

Racists defending this, I can't.

Step into a person of colour's shoes and the mere fact that Camila literally said she went to do 'racial healing' or whatever she calls it and saw the dancer and thought it was totally acceptable. Her response was absolutely INCONSIDERATE and lacked any understanding of how this affects those in the black community.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Teletubby
5 minutes ago, PussPuss said:

I wouldn't have. This is not acceptable to darken white skin that much, regardless of the intention, it is blackface. 

the stage lighting was bad, he wasn't so dark
E7FwbBdXIAAA2Jz?format=jpg&name=large

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

Chlorine Sevigny
4 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I genuinely did know yes. Blackface honestly didnt come to my mind. The pale rings around his eyes just made it so obvious to me it was supposed to be a bad tan.

Ok. But you have people telling you why darkening white skin that much now, in 2021, is no different than black face despite the intention. This does not exist in a vacuum. If the US didn't have a history of slavery, minstrelry, segregation, this wouldn't be a discussion. But it is... so just take in what people are saying. My point is that to make the joke work, orange = bad spray tan in a way that's not offensive. By just going to a darker skin tone, the joke is still "look how silly he looks being that dark." 

Admin
3 minutes ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

Is all of this Camila's fault? No.

The terrible apology is her fault though.

Honestly I'm just in shock that her PR team even let this happen. Fire everyone!

Jill
8 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Very exaggerated tan and blackface ARE completely different though?:bear: 

idk where you're from but where I live, to this day, tanning salons are extremely common and getting a bad spray tan is basically a rite of passage for teenage girls. People who don't get much sun want to look less pale and unhealthy so they go overboard and accidentally go too dark.

Blackface is a non black person trying to look black.

They are totally different things and everyone knows it.

The dancer posted a black woman emoji and compared himself to it. That's the first thing. The second is that the performance wasn't a tanning salon nor the dancer was a teenage girl getting a bad spray tan and going through a "rite of passage". It was a nationally broadcasted performance. If it's really true that it was inspired by 80s tacky fashion and overdone tan, then it's a very bad look too. You can't risk this being taken the wrong way, as it apparently has (according to Camila, unreliable narrator), but nevertheless someone chose to go ahead with that makeup. If you want to create a homage to the 80s, please leave the problematic stuff out, or accentuate it in another way (like an orange tan for example). Would you defend someone dressed in 80s fashion screaming the F slur by saying "well, to be fair, he's just honoring the 80s..."?

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Chlorine Sevigny
1 minute ago, Teletubby said:

Stage lighting is probably how he actually looked though, this looks like photo studio lighting which is always brighter. 

BlingNotTheMusic
3 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

Nb4

we love her again music video GIF by Lady Gaga

• SharkmanthaC locked this topic

Archived