science

Worst drought in 1,200 years grips US

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

‘Potentially the worst drought in 1,200 years’: scientists on the scorching US heatwave

Researchers had long forewarned of this crisis and now they’re seeing their studies and models become real life

3500.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=6fe0fe8cb397bfbb336f606188d91c73

The heatwave gripping the US west is simultaneously breaking hundreds of temperature records, exacerbating a historic drought and priming the landscape for a summer and fall of extreme wildfire.

Salt Lake City hit a record-breaking 107F (42C), while in Texas and California, power grid operators are asking residents to conserve energy to avoid rolling blackouts and outages. And all this before we’ve even reached the hottest part of the summer.

Among the 40 million Americans enduring the triple-digit temperatures are scientists who study droughts and the climate. They’d long forewarned of this crisis, and now they’re living through it. The Guardian spoke with researchers across the west about how they’re coping.

"As a paleoclimatologist my main point, always, is that we are able to look into the past. By looking at tree rings and other paleoclimate records, we’re able to gain really important perspectives about how climate has varied and changed in the past. And having done that, it’s clear that what we’re experiencing now is not natural. This is undoubtedly being caused by human activities, by greenhouse gas emissions.

The more we see these extreme events, piled on top of each other, and not just in the western US but globally, the more I think the reality of climate change becomes inescapable. And it feels absolutely overwhelming and sad. We are going to have less water, increased wildfires and more extreme heatwaves. But it’s also motivating. We need to continue to push for urgent action on climate change" -- Kathleen Johnson, California, Associate professor of Earth system science at the University of California, Irvine.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/18/us-heatwave-west-climate-crisis-drought

• Shook 3
  • Sad 3
HuffsAhoy

We had a 6 week drought back in April/May here in NC, it was awful. I can only imagine how much worse it is out west. 

Rain on Me
  • Shook 2
CautiousLurker

Damn, 42C... I wanna say this is terrifying but this has crossed into terrifying territory a couple of years ago, so... I really do hope the governments will step up soon, but I have little hope anything will happen until this disaster grows to catastrophic proportions... Even here (UK) it almost hit 30C this week and last time we only got heatwaves at the end of August...

Oh well, till we're all cooked, stream this timeless bop :vegas:

this thread is now officially sexualized | he/him/huntim
  • Like 1
GagaSine

Nice, everything is going great I see :vegas: can't wait for produce to be too costly to afford for the average person 

• Shook 1
  • Sad 1
PartySick

Poor Texas :toofunny: well, poor Texan citizens. Not that long ago they were gripped in an insane ice age looking mess and now they're being cooked alive.

But "climate change is fake" they said :fan:

The irony of it all though is that life on Earth will survive. Despite our best efforts to kill it, all we're really doing is killing ourselves.

Piacere, Girolamo, Trombetta 💚🤝💜
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
ThisGuyTony

Especially concerning if water levels keep dropping. I keep reading about record low water levels happening this year… :messga:

Knife

All the people flocking to Vegas to avoid income tax better be prepared to ration their water. :ladyhaha:

• YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1
Helxig

I'm literally not surprised. We've been knew about climate change for decades now

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 2
tmo13
5 hours ago, PartySick said:

The irony of it all though is that life on Earth will survive. Despite our best efforts to kill it, all we're really doing is killing ourselves.

underneath it all, we're just savages:legend:

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee
  • Like 1
TimisaMonster

We're all gonna be ****ed in the next decade...bookmark me Martians :bear:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!
AJRocketMan

Why am I not surprised? This is so sad. I hate what my ancestors and fellow humans have done to this Earth. Also climate change is affecting Rat populations in cities causing them to explode. 🤢

Bat

The insane heat and weather is one of the reason I feel so blessed with all the 4 seasons here in Europe.