💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

Luna Lovegood

I’m asian and brown, I don’t find orient-made offensive at all 😭 I don’t have a say on chola though that’s not my place to comment

luna’s advocate

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pdaines
On 6/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, Grigio Guy said:

As a Latinx person, I didn’t find the lyrics offensive. I CAN, however, see how some would deem the lyrics offensive and they have a right to do that. Y’all have to stop being so black and white about everything. There is so much grey in the world.

This is the first time I've actually heard someone refer to themselves as a "Latinx person". Usually I hear that term used by white people who are trying to be woke. 

Grigio Guy
9 hours ago, pdaines said:

This is the first time I've actually heard someone refer to themselves as a "Latinx person". Usually I hear that term used by white people who are trying to be woke. 

:gayhat: call me progressive then. Lol. Idk I was first introduced to the term a couple of years ago and it’s always stayed in the back of my head for some reason. As I’ve grown up and noticed a shift in progression in the Hispanic/Latinx community, I wanted to be a part of the change. So when I refer to myself and my community, I want to make sure I’m referring to EVERYONE. i know people feel the term is in a way gentrification of our community, however, I don’t see it the same way.

Religion is a product to sell.

Ghost Face
On 6/4/2021 at 6:27 PM, FrankMonster said:

She could at least sing this version of the lyrics from now and on. 

Does she sing? Didn’t know that

It's an honor.

Eros92

The original lyrics were fine. 

I mean to me in the context of using them in the song it never seemed problematic cause it felt like see was taking those words and twisting them to be empowering.

The definition of Oriental is "of, from, or characteristic of Asia" which to me just encompasses all and everyone from Asia and I don't think oriental is at all any kind of derogatory term or slur towards asians.  

Chola is really the slightly problematic choice but after reading up on it more it seems the word now a days has a more positive connection to it then it had originally thanks to the Chicano Movement. 

I remember when the song original came out and the "controversy" around those words were a hot topic I did actually take a poll around my high school asking asians and latinos if they found the words offensive or demeaning and they all pretty much said no and yes before any one comes at me I know "one person doesn't speak for a whole group" but just from my experience of asking a handful of people about the terms they seemed to be more outdated than offensive. 

Archived