Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Gwen Stefani defends herself against longtime cultural appropriation claims

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

ProfessionalClown

Gwen is the epitome of cultural APPRECIATION. As a Mexican growing up in Yuma Arizona, 3 hours from San Diego/SoCal and going to places like LA and Anaheim basically every other month, the Chicano scene and especially the cholo/chola culture and fashion were very very prevalent. I grew up around that. That is stuff I know about and stuff I even had in my own fashion for years.

Her video for Luxurious was something that made my mom, who was a Gwen fan, emotional because usually you only see people who dress like that that in bad light as drug dealers or gangsters. She showed the love for the culture and the way it means a LOT to people in the video as she grew up around it. Hell Gwen probably knows more about Chicano culture than most Mexicans do today. She also grew up around that being from that area.

It’s ridiculous to see people who wanna say sh*t to her when she has proven time and time again she gets all her information and blessing from the people she’s taking inspiration from. Not to mention her bringing harajuku fashion to the western market was a HUGE thing that Japan fans and even the GA actually applauded her for. She had massive fans in Japan who encouraged her to do that and that’s why she continued doing it for as long as she did.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bio
Just now, Robo Ga said:

What happened with this? I never saw the video 

The American Indian Studies Center of the University of California, Los Angeles – whom No Doubt claimed to have consulted prior to filming the video – released an open letter to No Doubt which noted "perceptions that American Indians are mere historical relics, frozen in time as stereotypically savage, primitive, uniquely-spiritualized and – in the case of Native women – hyper-sexualized objects to be tamed", and said the video "is replete with such highly offensive and destructive images of Native peoples in general and Native women specifically" and that it was "rife with imagery that glorifies aggression against Indian people, and, most disturbingly, denigrates and objectifies Native women through scenes of sexualized violence", but commended the band's decision to remove the video.

ProfessionalClown
1 minute ago, Bio said:

Here comes the ignorant people who have no idea about anyone's life and say stuff they know nothing about 

You literally hate and talk about everyone, including Gaga so :ohwell:

ive yet to see one positive comment from you in any thread 

Robo Ga
1 minute ago, Bio said:

The American Indian Studies Center of the University of California, Los Angeles – whom No Doubt claimed to have consulted prior to filming the video – released an open letter to No Doubt which noted "perceptions that American Indians are mere historical relics, frozen in time as stereotypically savage, primitive, uniquely-spiritualized and – in the case of Native women – hyper-sexualized objects to be tamed", and said the video "is replete with such highly offensive and destructive images of Native peoples in general and Native women specifically" and that it was "rife with imagery that glorifies aggression against Indian people, and, most disturbingly, denigrates and objectifies Native women through scenes of sexualized violence", but commended the band's decision to remove the video.

Thx 🙏 wow 

🤖⚡️

ProfessionalClown
2 minutes ago, Bio said:

You’re forgetting that they literally talked about it beforehand with professionals who deemed to okay to make. So they just turned around and bashed no doubt/Gwen when they could’ve said “maaayyyybbbeeeee don’t do the video”

androiduser

I do understand what she is trying to say, but she's had a decades long history of wearing other cultures as a costume..

ProfessionalClown

Here come the PC police who think any kind of cultural imagery is offensive and cultural appropriation :ohwell:

Cant wait to see :enigma:

Bio
1 minute ago, ProfessionalClown said:

You’re forgetting that they literally talked about it beforehand with professionals who deemed to okay to make. So they just turned around and bashed no doubt/Gwen when they could’ve said “maaayyyybbbeeeee don’t do the video”

We commend No Doubt, Interscope, and Supersonic for making the decision to pull the “Looking Hot” video immediately from the Internet upon learning of the overwhelming response from the Native community. We also want to make clear that, while No Doubt’s apology claimed to have consulted “Native American studies experts at the University of California,” to our knowledge, no such person from UCLA was consulted about the video prior to its release. Nevertheless, in furtherance of our educational and collaborative mission, we extend to you an invitation to engage with the American Indian Studies Center and the Los Angeles Indian community, as we see this unfortunate incident as presenting an opportunity for growth and mutual understanding.

UCLA Indian Studies Director, Angela Riley

Bio
4 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

You literally hate and talk about everyone, including Gaga so :ohwell:

ive yet to see one positive comment from you in any thread 

Maybe I should tag you on the next one then, since you seem to keep up with my posts :lolly:

ChicaSkas

I love you @Franch Toast

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

ProfessionalClown
6 minutes ago, Bio said:

Maybe I should tag you on the next one then, since you seem to keep up with my posts :lolly:

You comment in literally everything so obviously I’m gonna see you :laughga:

ProfessionalClown
8 minutes ago, Bio said:

We commend No Doubt, Interscope, and Supersonic for making the decision to pull the “Looking Hot” video immediately from the Internet upon learning of the overwhelming response from the Native community. We also want to make clear that, while No Doubt’s apology claimed to have consulted “Native American studies experts at the University of California,” to our knowledge, no such person from UCLA was consulted about the video prior to its release. Nevertheless, in furtherance of our educational and collaborative mission, we extend to you an invitation to engage with the American Indian Studies Center and the Los Angeles Indian community, as we see this unfortunate incident as presenting an opportunity for growth and mutual understanding.

If I’m looking correctly, Angela was I think the codirector at the time of when they would’ve done the video. Im not saying that doesn’t mean she’s not the authority but that means No Doubt could’ve gotten opinions from those either in the program itself, affiliated with the program, sponsored the program, or were enrolled in the program. Not to mention they also talked with multiple OTHER sources. 

either way, being Mexican and Native American myself am I not allowed an opinion either or is yours just fact? :triggered:

ChicaSkas
13 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Gwen is the epitome of cultural APPRECIATION. As a Mexican growing up in Yuma Arizona, 3 hours from San Diego/SoCal and going to places like LA and Anaheim basically every other month, the Chicano scene and especially the cholo/chola culture and fashion were very very prevalent. I grew up around that. That is stuff I know about and stuff I even had in my own fashion for years.

Her video for Luxurious was something that made my mom, who was a Gwen fan, emotional because usually you only see people who dress like that that in bad light as drug dealers or gangsters. She showed the love for the culture and the way it means a LOT to people in the video as she grew up around it. Hell Gwen probably knows more about Chicano culture than most Mexicans do today. She also grew up around that being from that area.

I agree. I have Latino friends that loved that video and the respect it showed for deep Latino/American culture going back almost 2 centuries. Its not just for gangsters, its a way of self expression and showing your beauty even though you may be very poor, you stand out and make the most of what you have. well said. And you are right. Gwen grew up in a very multicultural area of the OC and could travel around and experience both big city (LA) and suburbs (Long Beach/ Fullerton/ Anaheim) as well back before a lot of gentrification happened in those areas. I always forget that Gwen is 17 years older than I am , lol, but growing up the way she did in the 70's and 80's was a really great time in SoCali. 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

ChicaSkas
10 minutes ago, Bio said:

easy guys, settle down... please <3 

ProfessionalClown
11 minutes ago, Bio said:

I’m also not saying the video was good. The video was bad, I agree, but Gwen and the band were under the impression they had a green light to do so from those who they were inspired from.

Pretty sure that shouldn’t condone a “you’re racist” from people 

Archived