MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

politics

100+ influential Republicans to form new party if GOP doesn’t reform

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8
Posted (edited)

A group of more than 100 influential Republicans plans to release a call for reforms within the GOP alongside a threat to form a new party if change isn't forthcoming, according to a person familiar with the effort.

The statement, set to be released Thursday, involves a “Call for American Renewal,” a credo that declares to "either reimagine a party dedicated to our founding ideals or else hasten the creation of such an alternative." The push also will include a set of 13 yet-to-be-revealed principles that the signatories want to see the GOP embrace.

This is not the first group to form as the pro-Trump and traditional conservative factions of the Republican party remain at loggerheads. The new effort comes as a vote looms that is expected to oust Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., from the House Republican No. 3 leadership spot for her refusal to stay silent about former President Donald Trump’s repeated election lies and his role in the Jan. 6 riot.

“We’re going give the GOP one last chance to get its act together and moderate, but we’re not going to hold our breath," Taylor told NBC News. “We’re ready to get out there and fight against the radical elements in the party to try to excise those elements from within the GOP and our national politics, and to try to invest in the deeper pro-democracy bench.”

Taylor suggested this nascent movement will work to back candidates who support their principles, whether they be moderates or independents.

“Enough is enough, and the GOP has had enough time to decide whether it’s going to separate itself from a man who is a chronic loser,” he said, referring to Trump, predicting a “raging civil war” if the rest of the party doesn’t get on board.

Source

Edited by BUtterfield 8
  • Like 5
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 3
  • Shook 3
  • BUtterfield 8 changed the title to 100+ influential Republicans to form new party if GOP doesn’t reform
FATCAT
5 minutes ago, LibraLove said:

Yawn. Really wish people would stop lifting up a Cheney for goodness sake...

If it splits the right for the next decade, let's do it tbh.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 11
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 2
LibraLove
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, FATCAT said:

If it splits the right for the next decade, let's do it tbh.

It’s not going to happen. These republicans keep grandstanding for some PR points and acting like the way the Republican Party is isn’t actually the Republican Party. It is. It always has been. It’s just always been covered with more tampered and calm veneer. Trump came along and showed them they don’t have to do that and still have the support they’ve always had. 

Edited by LibraLove
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
vinster13

Tbh if the Republican Party were to become more socially progressive like pro LGBTQ+, anti racist, etc. but still remained fiscally conservative, like lower taxes and such, they could probably win the next election. (along with a new candidate cause trump and pence won’t do) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
imnotyourbabe10

They made their bed for the last however many years, now sleep in it. 

Loving Biden’s progressive moves but still a shame the DNC screwed Bernie. :bradley:

Batwings
Posted (edited)

What I don't understand about any of this is why, why, WHY is Donald Trump -- so dismal a **** up that he was impeached twice and couldn't win reelection -- the hill that so many of these GOPers are willing to die on? It just doesn't make sense to me. He's shown repeatedly that he isn't the least bit loyal to those who are loyal to him. What are they getting out of this? 

Edited by Batwings
  • Like 4
berlinforme
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vinster13 said:

Tbh if the Republican Party were to become more socially progressive like pro LGBTQ+, anti racist, etc. but still remained fiscally conservative, like lower taxes and such, they could probably win the next election. (along with a new candidate cause trump and pence won’t do) 

"Remained fiscally conservative" is such a euphemism. The GOP is only fiscally conservative if a democrat is in the White House. For the last 30 years Republican presidents have driven the US into the highest debt ever. Meanwhile billions and billions of dollars have been pushed into the military sector. That's not fiscally conservative either. I don't understand how people still attribute them this image when their words and their actions are absolute opposites. 

Edited by berlinforme
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
JusKeepBreathin

Well they need to do something. Have y'all seen the Gaetz/Green tour? 

I mean these are the "future" of the Republican party. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
MOT

I'm an outsider, looking in from the other side of the Atlantic. In very basic terms, what I see is this.

Pre-Trump, the GOP were officially socially conservative and unofficially racist and homophobic.

Post-Trump, the GOP is officially socially conservative, racist and homophobic, and it has recently been tolerant of an attempt to overthrow the government.

The pre-Trump GOP was the better model. Any attempts to move back in that direction should be welcomed.

• Like 1
FATCAT
2 hours ago, MOT said:

I'm an outsider, looking in from the other side of the Atlantic. In very basic terms, what I see is this.

Pre-Trump, the GOP were officially socially conservative and unofficially racist and homophobic.

Post-Trump, the GOP is officially socially conservative, racist and homophobic, and it has recently been tolerant of an attempt to overthrow the government.

The pre-Trump GOP was the better model. Any attempts to move back in that direction should be welcomed.

The thing is, they can completely reinvent the wheel here with a new party, and not just go back a few years, but towards a brighter future. One that's inclusive of all and rejects racists and nazi's.

Purr more, hiss less.
SEANGT

I doubt a new party that tries to be woke about democracy or whatever while still hating poor people would do well or peel off any significant portion of the republican base. 

• Like 1
MOT
11 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

The thing is, they can completely reinvent the wheel here with a new party, and not just go back a few years, but towards a brighter future. One that's inclusive of all and rejects racists and nazi's.

It would be great if they did that, but I don't know how likely it is. Let's see what they have to say I suppose.

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

I doubt a new party that tries to be woke about democracy or whatever while still hating poor people would do well or peel off any significant portion of the republican base. 

They don't have to peel off much, if the GOP lost 5% of support in a state like Texas to this new party, it would put dems neck and neck with popular votes just in 2020 alone. In some states it's much, much closer too.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 1
FATCAT
1 minute ago, MOT said:

It would be great if they did that, but I don't know how likely it is. Let's see what they have to say I suppose.

My guess is that they're just going to go back to "completely conservative" and just pretend like it's 2008 & 2012 again. What's sad is that it's that same thinking and politics that got us where we are now.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 1