question

Why would Apollo have fear?

Mr Oak

Featured Posts

Mr Oak

In Mary Jane Holland, Gaga says 

"So if you have fear, Apollo, sit on my lyre

and play 'em/him like a piano, man"

The explanation on Genius (link below) doesn't make sense cause why would Gaga write about that myth in which Apollo is portrayed as a rapist? Also, shouldn't Daphne be afraid instead of him?

https://genius.com/Lady-gaga-mary-jane-holland-lyrics?referent_id=2469016#note-2469016

Lastly, all these years I thought it was "play em" but it's "play him" instead? I can't find a live performance with the second verse, it was cut off for the artRAVE:neyde:

Thoughts?:bear:

Poltergeist

I always thought it's 'If you're up here', not 'If you have fear' :neyde:

I've been getting messages from my deep waters

Dayman

I'm pretty sure there is an "of" that is missing from the official written lyrics. She kinda slurs and it sounds like it may have a cut on it. Also the booklet says "Truffles" and I'm pretty sure it is "travels". I do think you're correct on it "play him". Tbh a lot of her booklets and official lyrics have wrong lyrics or missing lyrics. Whether it be because they're transcribed or from demos or whatever.

I mean just look at the fact in the chorus there are backing vocals that don't match the lyrics "Would you meet me" and the other 2 "If you'd meet me"

Mr Oak
2 minutes ago, Dayman said:

I'm pretty sure there is an "of" that is missing from the official written lyrics. She kinda slurs and it sounds like it may have a cut on it. Also the booklet says "Truffles" and I'm pretty sure it is "travels". I do think you're correct on it "play him". Tbh a lot of her booklets and official lyrics have wrong lyrics or missing lyrics. Whether it be because they're transcribed or from demos or whatever.

Omg I thought about that too. I always hear "vvvfApollo". That makes sense. She's talking to Daphne.

I think it is "truffles". Like the mushrooms, similar to marijuana.

Stay High GIF

littlepotter
6 minutes ago, Poltergeist said:

I always thought it's 'If you're up here', not 'If you have fear' :neyde:

That makes sense tho

chaeri pls

alsemanche
3 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Also the booklet says "Truffles" and I'm pretty sure it is "travels".

No this is actually truffles! Magic truffles are a type of hallucinogenic

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Poltergeist
2 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

That makes sense tho

That's why I've never remembered it's not the real lyric haha

I've been getting messages from my deep waters

Dayman
1 minute ago, alsemanche said:

No this is actually truffles! Magic truffles are a type of hallucinogenic

Yeah, but the vocals when you listen to them isolated have a very clear V sound. Also in the context of the song and the line itself "travels" makes a bit more sense than "truffles". But tbh it works either way.

homomo
1 minute ago, Dayman said:

Yeah, but the vocals when you listen to them isolated have a very clear V sound. Also in the context of the song and the line itself "travels" makes a bit more sense than "truffles". But tbh it works either way.

Truffles makes so much more sense though, since the song is literally about drugs

Dayman
Just now, homomo said:

Truffles makes so much more sense though, since the song is literally about drugs

It's not about hallucinogenic drugs though - it's specifically about weed for the rest of the song. That and the fact that there is the vocal "would you meet me" is why the lyric being travel just makes more sense to me personally combined with the very hard V sound and a more leaning towards A sound. 

11 minutes ago, NoahSuns said:

Omg I thought about that too. I always hear "vvvfApollo". That makes sense. She's talking to Daphne.

I think it is "truffles". Like the mushrooms, similar to marijuana.

Stay High GIF

It sounds like "-braapollo" with the way they cut it and did the wet vocals. I definitely lean towards it being "of" orrrrr it's a cut off different word entirely from another take.

DVDSpike

It's definitely truffles.

"Our travels are the most mad-magical in Amsterdam", doesn't really make much sense. Truffles does. Magic mushrooms, magical truffles.

Mr Oak
5 minutes ago, DVDSpike said:

"Our travels are the most mad-magical in Amsterdam", doesn't really make much sense.

I guess she may be using "travels" as a noun. It makes sense 

heygurlhi

Travel resorts usually go out of business quite fast so they have a lot to fear I guess :bear:

Ignore me i drink

Archived