society

France ban some flights where train available due to environmental reasons

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

2289.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

French MPs have voted to suspend domestic airline flights on routes that can be travelled by direct train in less than two and a half hours, as part of a series of climate and environmental measures.

After a heated debate in the Assemblée Nationale at the weekend, the ban, a watered-down version of a key recommendation from President Emmanuel Macron’s citizens’ climate convention was adopted.

The climate commission set up by Macron had originally recommended the scrapping of all flights between French destinations where an alternative direct train journey of less than four hours existed.

This was reduced to two and a half hours after strong objections from certain regions and from Air France-KLM, which, like other airlines, has been badly hit by local and international Covid-19 restrictions on travel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/apr/12/france-ban-some-domestic-flights-train-available-macron-climate-convention-mps

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 8
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 4
littlepotter

F*ck yeah :firega: Transportation desperately needs more regulation.  

won't you come with me?
  • Like 2
weed

A very fair decision! Good move 

• Like 1
Lucas

That's a really good decision! During the next years, such a "little move" will already make a little difference

• Like 1
FunkYou

Good. I've always found domestic flights in France ridiculous. Like two years ago I saw a friend on social media posting about a flight of his from Toulouse to Lyon, which I thought was... a choice. But then a couple hours later I found out Lyon was just a layover, and he had a flight from Lyon to Strasbourg... like man, what a waste of time. The high-speed train in France would've all in all been a faster option anyways. 

Economy

Sounds like a good idea on the surface

I just wonder to what degree tho this could complicate connecting flight logistics and force a reduction in pit stops and force more longer distance flights to be non-stop with planes not fully filled

It may result in more planes being foced to accept flights only 80% full and in turn more flights in total

I think im seeing at least 1 reason why there may have been heated debate. There may be unintended consequences to this

Edited by Economy
alsemanche

Besides, train rides are so much cooler than flights 

Soft, soothing, and succulent