💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Coverage Of Philip’s Death Proves To Be A Big Turn-Off 4 British TV Viewers

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

AP17214519573433-e1618045609390.jpg?w=68

The UK’s major broadcasters trashed their schedules on Friday to bring audiences wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip’s death, but the output proved to be a turn-off for Brits in key evening viewing hours.

Ratings data crunched by Deadline shows that the BBC, ITV, and Channel 4 all suffered audience declines between the hours of 7PM and 11PM, when the broadcasters lined up special coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh’s demise.

BBC One, the UK’s most-watched television channel, lost 6% of its audience last night compared with Friday, April 2 (full figures below). Sister channel BBC Two, which simulcast the BBC News channel for a good chunk of the evening, was down 65%, according to Barb figures supplied by overnights.tv.

It was a similar story elsewhere. ITV, the BBC’s main commercial rival, suffered a 60% dent to its ratings on Friday night, while Channel 4 — which broadcast a feature-length news special at 7PM — was down 8.5%.

Channel 4 did, however, largely stick to its planned schedule in the evening and was rewarded with the highest-rated show of the day on a single channel in the shape of Studio Lambert’s Gogglebox, which was watched by nearly 4.2M viewers.

The only public service broadcaster to post an improved audience on a week ago was Channel 5, which nudged up 2%. Like Channel 4, the ViacomCBS-owned network largely stuck to its original evening schedule.

Source

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucas

Hm yeah I don't think people want to watch TV to hear about death, funerals etc during these dark times :/

Rj Barker

Not surprising. People in the UK are moving away from the monarchy slowly but surely. If you think the coverage for Phillip was alot just wait till the Queen dies, it'll be insane. You can Google operation London Bridge, for when she pops her clogs. 11 straight days of media coverage. 

Thank god for Netflix.

HuffsAhoy

It's obviously a big news story but I saw that some stations were carrying coverage all day long :air: I mean, the man was 99 years old, it's hardly shocking he died. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

IWantYourLove

It’s all we’ve heard all day - do we really need or want to hear more? No.

Mindblown
Just now, Rj Barker said:

Not surprising. People in the UK are moving away from the monarchy slowly but surely. If you think the coverage for Phillip was alot just wait till the Queen dies, it'll be insane. You cann Google operation London Bridge, for when she pops her clogs. 11 straight days of media coverage. 

Thank god for Netflix.

I imagine people will watch coverage on the queens death. I'm from America and I plan on watching it.....if...she ever dies.

ThisGuyTony

I mean what other info could they provide? :flop: Didn’t they say he died of natural causes? There really was no more to say outside of that...

Rj Barker
Just now, Mindblown said:

I imagine people will watch coverage on the queens death. I'm from America and I plan on watching it.....if...she ever dies.

Oh I'll watch, but not for 11 days. And not every waking hour. They will stop all broadcasting on all BBC channels and replace with stuff about her life and legacy etc. All day wall to wall for 11 days. No upbeat music on the bbc radio stations and only things deemed "inoffensive" Everyone in black tie Bla bla bla. 

Aphasic

People care less about the monarchy and more about Queen Elizabeth II but when she dies, they all might go into oblivion. 

ItWasntLaauv

The dude was 99 and was kind of an ass, I’d hope it’d be a turn off for viewership.

Mikolaj

the media is so detached from reality anyway :flop: it's some sort of inflated sense of the role they play when anything notable happens so they milk it with no end. You can't blame people for being uninterested, all they want to know, they've checked on the internet already. Nobody needs TV in the era of the internet, change my mind.

I don't want to sound disrespectful here, but I think it's because the royal family aren't being painted in the best light right now. Everything about them rubs me the wrong way since they've been exposed by Harry and Megan and everything that I've thought for a long time has been proven right.

That being said, I do have sympathy for the Queen and the family for losing a father, husband, brother etc.

Gagaloo911

Because no1 curr bout some irrelevant "royal"

Royalty is OVER.

edengowon

it's only a matter of years, not decades, before we hold the first english presidential election.

that's hoping scotland, northern ireland and wales all go the way they actually want to, and aren't being forced by westminster.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Helxig

I mean one old guy died and the whole country's media shuts down. It's a bit OTT

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Archived