Chromatica out now

💌 monthly fan mail 💌
science

Gorillas beat their chests to size each other up, researchers say

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

3184.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=39b26de1c6bc50aa7c713d0c5fb906d0It is a trope used in films from King Kong to Tarzan – a male primate standing upright and beating its chest, sometimes with a yell and often with more than a dash of hubris.

But it seems the pounding action is less about misplaced bravado than Hollywood would suggest: researchers studying adult male mountain gorillas say that while chest-beating might be done to show off, it also provides honest information.

“We found it is definitely a real, reliable signal – males are conveying their true size,” said Edward Wright, co-author of the research from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany.

Writing in the journal Scientific Reports, Wright and colleagues report how they studied chest-beating in six adult male mountain gorillas in the Volcanoes national park in Rwanda.

The team used a camera setup involving two parallel g2193.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=3ef40f7610ba4694a1e6459b7023a34dreen lasers a known distance apart to determine the breadth of each gorilla’s back from a photograph.

The results revealed that the duration of the chest-beating, number of beats and the rate of the beats during an episode were not associated with the size of the gorilla. However, the average peak frequency of the sound produced was – the larger the gorilla, the lower the frequency of the sound produced.

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/08/gorilla-beat-chest-signal-size-avoid-fight-with-rival-researchers-say

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
Sneaky Oliver

Hmm hard to imagine they do that on this specific purpose but there are so many things about animals especially their communication which we don’t know about!

i love you lots like polka-dots
  • Like 2
KanyeWest

Thats hot

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • LMAO 7
  • Shook 1
The Child
1 hour ago, KanyeWest said:

Thats hot

giphy.gif

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá
PlasticWeave

I thought we knew this

I mean we see it in rowdy straight men that like to fight in clubs :fatcat:

"come at me bro!!"

Edited by PlasticWeave
poordat
  • Like 2
Lumiere

so straight men basically

If you don't have any shadows, you're not standing in the LIGHT.
Reality

Isn’t this common sense though? 

𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝒸𝒶𝓇𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝒲𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 ᱬ // GOᗪ Oᖴ ᗰIᔕᑕᕼIEᖴ ४ // 𝕊𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕣𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕦𝕡𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕖 ۞
littlepotter
2 minutes ago, Reality said:

Isn’t this common sense though? 

Right 

won't you come with me?