💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
serious

DMX has passed away

Louie

Featured Posts

imnotyourbabe10
21 minutes ago, samuelx said:

Every time a black man dies some white person on Twitter tries to “hold them accountable” for something problematic they did like bro.... he just died what’s the ****ing point . And someone can’t be held accountable if they’re not alive. Y’all r just so dumb

I don't think this was a "dumb" comment to make and I wasn't holding him accountable in his death.  And I recognized in my comment that the type of question I was asking could come off as offensive.  I am not a social justice warrior or a cancel culture person.

I was asking a legitimate question about if he ever discussed those things (e.g., homophobic lyrics from the 90's) while he was alive.  Sure, the timing is bad and that's because I'm not following him closely and he just now popped up on my news feed, which reminded me of the lyrics. 

Look, I have listened to his music and recognize the tension between queer communities and the "down low" identity in some populations and problematic lyrics found in rap music.  It's a product of the times in some senses -- but if I put out something offensive in my lifetime, I would have at least addressed it in the context of the shifting culture and human rights.

CubbyGaga
1 hour ago, samuelx said:

Every time a black man dies some white person on Twitter tries to “hold them accountable” for something problematic they did like bro.... he just died what’s the ****ing point . And someone can’t be held accountable if they’re not alive. Y’all r just so dumb

Thank you!!!! 

beaublue
2 hours ago, CubbyGaga said:

He’s old school hip hop.  That was just the culture back then unfortunately.  

Yeah, same thing old people say when dropping racial slurs :interestinga:

StarstruckIllusion

yeah they can... just whip out a luigi board 🤣🤣

CubbyGaga
23 minutes ago, lestyoufall said:

Yeah, same thing old people say when dropping racial slurs :interestinga:

Nope, that’s completely different.  White colonialism imposed homophobic  ideals into the black community and I’m not going to sit here and blame a black man for saying homophobic slurs in a song in 2003 when that was the norm in hip hop back then, when black men were expected to be overly masculine and macho at all times by their white record label owners. 

It’s frustrating how people are always so quick to demonize black men for being homophobic when we need to look at the roots of where those ideals come from: white religious zealots.  

howsAnnie

What in the world does this have to do with the color of the man’s skin? If you’re a bad person, you need to be held accountable for that. I also hold Prince Philip accountable for the uneducated and ignorant remarks he made during his lifetime (no need to go into detail here as they are already being discussed in another thread, but in case you’re interested: https://mashable.com/2017/05/04/prince-philip-gaffes-list/?europe=true), so stop deflecting and start paying attention to the real problem, which is bad character.

Here is a small taste of the mindset DMX promoted with his “legendary” music:

'And if you got a daughter older than 15, I'ma rape her
Take her on the livin' room floor, right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, whatchu wanna do?
Frustratin', isn't it? Wanna kill me, but I'ma kill you
Now watch me **** just a little while longer, please, will you?'
(from ‘X-Is Coming’)

'Last I heard, y'all niggas was havin sex, with the same sex
I show no love, to homo thugs
Empty out, reloaded and throw more slugs
How you gonna explain f*cking a man?
Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touching ya hand
I don't bunk with chumps, for those who been to jail
That's the cat with the Kool-Aid on his lips and pumps
I don't f*ck with n*ggas that think they broads
Only know how to be one way, that's the dog'
(from ‘Where The Hood At?’)

What’s the point of holding a dead person responsible for what they did while they were alive, you ask? The point is not setting a bad example for the living and to show that this behavior is not to be tolerated, much less celebrated. Why do you think the church canonizes people it deems honorable as saints? Not that I agree with their standards for doing so, but it’s the exact same concept.

2 hours ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

I mean the only thing that should be judged is his animal cruelty allegations 

I don't agree that this is the only thing he should be held accountable for, but convictions rather than allegations:

'DMX faced a 1999 animal cruelty charge in Teaneck, New Jersey after a dozen pit bulls were found at his home there; the charge was dismissed after the performer agreed to accept responsibility and record public service announcements for an animal rights group.'

'In January 2002, DMX pleaded guilty in New Jersey to 13 counts of animal cruelty, two counts of maintaining a nuisance and one count each of disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia. He eventually plea-bargained down to fines, probation and community service and starred in public service announcements against the dangers of guns and animal abuse.'

'On May 9, 2008, DMX was arrested on drug and animal cruelty charges after attempting to barricade himself inside his Arizona home.'

Here’s more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMX_(rapper)#Legal_issues

Obviously, death is always tragic and I'm sorry for his friends and family. But if your legacy is promoting hate or cruelty, I don't think you should be publicly celebrated, and all the bops in the world won't change that. Just came here to say that.

howsAnnie
46 minutes ago, CubbyGaga said:

Nope, that’s completely different.  White colonialism imposed homophobic  ideals into the black community and I’m not going to sit here and blame a black man for saying homophobic slurs in a song in 2003 when that was the norm in hip hop back then, when black men were expected to be overly masculine and macho at all times by their white record label owners. 

It’s frustrating how people are always so quick to demonize black men for being homophobic when we need to look at the roots of where those ideals come from: white religious zealots.  

Following that logic, no single person could ever be held accountable for their own actions as they have obviously been made into who they are by the way they have been socialized. Colonialism was clearly one of the worst crimes in the history of humankind, but it shouldn't suffice as the sole reason to automatically absolve any individual of all responsibility. Again, I don't think anyone in this thread so far has been demonizing people of color, it's very counterproductive to assume this at the slightest sign of a looming debate. Popular music has such a wide reach and promoting homophobia through it (let's not even talk about the rape thing) has severe consequences for countless individuals.

Oh please, you didnt know the man, he had serious trauma in his childhood serious mental issues and self medicated and lashed out on drugs which cost him his life today. Nobody's perfect, as for homophobia he recently performed at a LGBT club, maybe he changed, we all grow in life. 

howsAnnie
3 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

Oh please, you didnt know the man, he had serious trauma in his childhood serious mental issues and self medicated and lashed out on drugs which cost him his life today. Nobody's perfect, as for homophobia he recently performed at a LGBT club, maybe he changed, we all grow in life. 

True, we all didn't know the man personally and maybe he changed. Maybe he also finally changed after he faced animal cruelty charges in 1999, started advocating for animal rights in response, pleaded guilty to 13 crimes of animal cruelty in 2002, started advocating for animal rights again, just to plead guilty to animal cruelty again in 2008. It doesn't exactly suggest a history of reflecting and learning from one's own mistakes, neither does it do the stray animals he collected in order to get them hurt and killed in dogfights any good, but yeah, I do hope he was a changed man in the end and that his performing at a LGBT club is more of an indicator for that than his animal rights advocacy.

username9384747

Not being shady, at all. But I didn’t realize who he was until I searched and listened to his music on Spotify. Then it hit me, I do know who he is!

Rest In Peace, Legend.

beaublue
6 hours ago, CubbyGaga said:

Just because something was the norm doesn’t make it any less wrong & it’s certainly not a f*cking excuse. Stop trying to validate past homophobia by blaming it on anyone but the person who said the slurs. The gymnastics you just did to try & redirect blame back onto white people as if without white people homophobia would’ve never existed. Nah fam, it’s not because of white people. It’s because of RELIGION. Homosexual relationships have existed for as long as humans, they were socially accepted in Rome, Greece, & other civilizations. Do your research instead of trying to blame everything on colonialism.

Archived