Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
celeb

LilNasX Accused For Stealing Art For His New Music Video

RAMROD

Featured Posts

DirrtyPony
32 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Why do people like making such a big deal out of these things? Unless it's actually a shot for shot copy, or an exact replica of a design - it doesn't matter, and this video is not that in any capacity... I swear if people on here were even remotely aware of what concept artists get up to, their brains would implode.... 

It's perfectly fair for people to call an artist out for plagiarism, and should be done more often if it's this obvious. I'm surprised people have no issue with an artist bailing on a collaboration, yet walking away with that collaborators concepts for themselves. It's not a good look.

Strung out for another taste

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, alsemanche said:

The length y'all go to discredit something that's literally right in front of you is truly amazing 

No I have a foot in this field

I understand he is hurt 

But he doesn't own the whole pole+Heaven and hell thing

It's inspiration. It has and will always be present in every single form of Art because that is how Art evolves. 

Hallucinade

There's also some elements taken from Black Mamba by æspa which also got accused of stealing from someone else... this is a rabbit hole

CautiousLurker
26 minutes ago, DirrtyPony said:

It's perfectly fair for people to call an artist out for plagiarism, and should be done more often if it's this obvious. I'm surprised people have no issue with an artist bailing on a collaboration, yet walking away with that collaborators concepts for themselves. It's not a good look.

When plagiarism occurs - sure, but for it to be plagiarism, it needs to be an actual copy... Falling down a stripper pole is not such a unique and coveted concept that it should only be reserved for one artists to use and anyone else incorporating that imagery is copying it - that's a ridiculous thing to imply...

The mv wasn't copied shot for shot, even partially. The designs weren't lifted directly either, which means work done for his mv was done from scratch - that's not plagiarism... 

Men are naturally more dominating, aggressive, and logical thinking because we have balls.

alsemanche
49 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Falling down a stripper pole

true, but falling down a pole from heaven to hell while a weird creature is present, using almost identical aesthetics and shots is very specific to be brushed away. And the director himself said they had contacted him, which obviously means that they wanted his vision to be on the MV. It is plagiarism for that section of the MV, not the whole thing. Idk why that's so hard to accept. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

LGHunter
23 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

true, but falling down a pole from heaven to hell while a weird creature is present, using almost identical aesthetics and shots is very specific to be brushed away. And the director himself said they had contacted him, which obviously means that they wanted his vision to be on the MV. It is plagiarism for that section of the MV, not the whole thing. Idk why that's so hard to accept. 

I think is more like a inspiration than plagiarism. Dont make a fuss about it :interestinga:

alsemanche
2 minutes ago, LGHunter said:

I think is more like a inspiration than plagiarism. Dont make a fuss about it :interestinga:

How about you stop telling what to do :huntyga:

Kulture Kiari
12 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

It would be stealing if he created and pitched a concept to Lil Nas (or someone else), and then he didn't hire him but still used the concept. It would be "ripping off" if the whole video was exactly the same, since this is just 30 seconds of a 3 minute clip this is not the case. This was obviously inspired by the same idea of what was already out there, but it was included in a whole different storyline giving it a new meaning, and so it is considered transformative in its reproduction.

There are no original ideas, everything is a transformation/combination of something else that already exists, when will people understand this?

Imagine saying Gaga stole the 911 music video just because it recreates very accurately many scenes of a movie.

There is a huge phucking difference! Gaga at least made it clear it was a homage to films at the end of the music video. This Lil guy didn't. 

Imagine being this ignorant. 

Roboboy

FKA TWIGS DIDNT INVENT CLOUDS AND A POLE WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

LGHunter
4 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

How about you stop telling what to do :huntyga:

Just wanna educate you :fan:

alsemanche
2 minutes ago, LGHunter said:

Just wanna educate you :fan:

Haha so funny :awkney:

enissa11
3 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Except I would have said the same thing because I understand how art works in a transformative way.

This site would've definitely had a meltdown, just like you're having right now over this video, because apparently, as you said it yourself, you don't understand how inspirations work in art. Would it be ok for him to use this artist as inspiration only if he was dead, like many people do with other artists?

Are you gonna have a meltdown over the Alejandro music video for using imagery from Madonna and David Fincher's "Vogue", or the song for using Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around", ABBA's "Fernando", and Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" as inspiration?

Of course not! The only double standard I see here is yours...

If you want to compare, let's compare. Alejandro doesn't use the same imagery of Vogue, Alejandro is Gothic/Romantic oriented, mixed with some militar and religious imagery, if they have something in common it would be the dark photography, but that's all,  and even if it's the case they used similar imagery, as long as is developed and shot differently it would be ok.
In this case is a whole scene copied almost frame by frame, if they wanted to use his ideas, at least have some decency and shot it with different angles and cinematographic techniques.
If gaga would have done that, she'd be instantly crucified by everyone, instead they try to crucify her only for having somewhat "similar" videos or using the same chord progressions as madonna uses and also the other half of disco songs, or even having a song with latin american tunes and rhythms having a latin american partner & producer, the inspirations here come from different places...

Mad Architect of Light

President Biden

some rando thinking he invented upward shots of the sky LMAO

I got drunk

HEARTSTOP
34 minutes ago, Kulture Kiari said:

There is a huge phucking difference! Gaga at least made it clear it was a homage to films at the end of the music video. This Lil guy didn't. 

Imagine being this ignorant. 

Hunty no. Gaga is a huge referential and referenced artist but she doesn't always explicitly show you or tell you the reference, nor does she have to. See her entire discography where she was clearly was inspired by many artists, singers, directors, choreographers, etc before her but she only mentioned a few. Not to mention she never referenced Madonna explicitly by words and she was clearly inspired by her work (both music and imagery). And that's ok.

You only need to credit artists when you are using their actual work, not when you get inspired by it and recreate it transformatively. Otherwise you'd have people today still referencing the first person who blew on a bone as a whistle or beat on a tree trunk as a drum.

IDGAF

Archived