Sign in to follow this  
society

Fourth surge of COVID coming, CDC warns

PunkTheFunk

Covid-19 variants pose 'real threat' to vaccine progress, CDC warns

_117347794_064713820-1.jpg

The spread of highly contagious coronavirus variants is threatening to fuel a "potential fourth surge of cases" in the US, a top health official has warned.

The head of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said she was concerned by recent Covid-19 data. She said about 70,000 new cases a day were recorded last week, "a very high number". There were nearly 2,000 deaths a day in the same period, she said.

"Please hear me clearly: At this level of cases, with variants spreading, we stand to completely lose the hard-earned ground we have gained," Dr Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, said on Monday. "These variants are a very real threat to our people and our progress."

There are many different versions, or variants, of Covid-19 circulating, but health experts are particularly concerned about a few. These include variants first detected in UK, South Africa and Brazil that appear to be more contagious.

The CDC has predicted the highly contagious B.1.1.7 variant first found in the UK will become the dominant strain in the US this month. Given this, Dr Walensky said she was "really worried" about reports of US states "rolling back the exact public health measures we have recommended to protect people from Covid-19".

"We have the ability to stop a potential fourth surge of cases in this country. Please stay strong in your conviction," she said.

In total, the US has recorded more than 28 million infections and 500,000 deaths related to Covid-19, according to World Health Organization (WHO) data.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56247656

• Shook 3
  • Sad 2

Finn The Human
Posted (edited)

We're doomed.

Really scared for my mom who has cancer who just got the Pfizer vaccine. :( If the mutations cause all the vaccines to be ineffective then idk what'll happen.

Edited by Finn The Human
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 12

Guest MagneticMoon

This is nightmare won’t stop 😣💔 

Give me a time machine please. 

Guest MagneticMoon
Just now, Finn The Human said:

We're doomed.

Really scared for my mom who has cancer who just got the Pfizer vaccine. :( 

My grandfather just died last 3 days ago. 

Finn The Human
Just now, MagneticMoon said:

I'm so sorry. Please stay strong. :heart:

• Love 3

Guest MagneticMoon
1 minute ago, Finn The Human said:

I'm so sorry. Please stay strong. :heart:

Thank you ❤️ You too. Take care and keep being strong for your mom. 

Chromatography
6 minutes ago, Finn The Human said:

We're doomed.

Really scared for my mom who has cancer who just got the Pfizer vaccine. :( If the mutations cause all the vaccines to be ineffective then idk what'll happen.

it’ll be OK. the vaccine may not prevent the virus but it will lessen the severity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ivy

I'm manifesting for this to mutate to a very mild cold type illness or mysteriously vanish by summer

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 4

Morphine Prince

I’m just glad numbers are down for the time being and many are being vaccinated. 

Everyone: Please keep doing what you’re doing. Wearing a mask, social distancing, etc. could save you and your loved one’s life. Years from now you will remember these small sacrifices with love. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

TimisaMonster
38 minutes ago, MagneticMoon said:

I'm so sorry! :giveup:

Stream my new single🔹️"Sapphire Phoenix"🔹️on Spotify!

ThisGuyTony

And it feels like everyone is reducing restrictions in the last few weeks. :messga: I know everyone is tired but the virus isn’t under control yet. :ohno:

• Like 2

Nickolas724

I mean as long as people get vaccinated it will lessen the hospitalizations and deaths right?

alsemanche

My country has 50k people vaccinated out of like 6 millions, we still get very high cases and deaths every single day, and still they're reopening everything. They literally opened malls and ski resorts yesterday and schools reopen next week. At this point i feel like we're on our 10th wave and there's really no solution. Variants are probably roaming freely without anyone knowing about them lmao. 

• Sad 4

RAMROD

Fourth? :bradley:

But maybe not for long, countries just need to get going with their inoculation program, I am looking at you NZ and EU! 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ やれやれだわ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡