🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Judge: Miss USA can ban trans women

Morphine Prince

Anita Noelle Green was the first trans contestant for Miss Montana and was the titleholder for Miss Elite Earth Oregon 2019. But for the Miss USA pageant, she was deemed not good enough.

Green was banned from Miss USA on the basis that she is not a “natural-born female”. So she sued the competition in December 2019, claiming its gender identity discrimination violated Oregon’s public accommodations act, which says Oregonians have right to full and equal accommodations without any discrimination on account of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Green’s legal team also argued her exclusion from Miss USA infringes on her first amendment rights to free speech and free association.

However, district judge Michael Mosman sided with the pageant. He ruled Miss USA is an “expressive” organisation, rather than a commercial one, so it has a first amendment right to its “message” and isn’t required to change it.

He made this ruling on the same day that the US House passed the Equality Act, which would prohibit any discrimination based on an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

Green told OregonLive in a statement that she was disappointed in the ruling, but her lawsuit drew attention to an important issue even if it wasn’t ultimately successful.

“This case brought awareness to an issue many people were and still are unaware of and that issue is that discrimination against transgender people is still actively happening in the private and public sector even within the pageant circuit,” Green said.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-rules-miss-usa-ban-152829685.html

• Sad 8

JGD
Posted (edited)

Hmm.. kind of surprising she was banned from the pageant seeing how Miss Universe (who owns Miss USA) had a transgender contestant from Spain in 2018.

EDIT:  She didn’t sue Miss USA.  She’s suing Miss United States of America, an entirely different pageant.

https://mobile.twitter.com/anitanoelleg/status/1365820528229896192

Edited by JGD
  • Shook 1

Morphine Prince
2 minutes ago, JGD said:

Hmm.. kind of surprising she was banned from the pageant seeing how Miss Universe (who owns Miss USA) had a transgender contestant from Spain in 2018.

EDIT:  She didn’t sue Miss USA.  She’s suing Miss United States of America, an entirely different pageant.

https://mobile.twitter.com/anitanoelleg/status/1365820528229896192

Wtf would they name themselves that? :rip:

Xoxo Adriana

this just further proves that no matter how much beauty, talent or skill any trans woman has, they’re immediately looked over purely because they’re trans 

it’s really annoying, however tragically the trans community is used to it. hopefully in years to come people finally wake up + apologise for the way they treat us

i just hope some huge agency takes her on instead and she becomes famous for it, this pageant will regret their contradictory decision 

vyniildisk

outdated pageant that is about to get cancelled just like Vicky's Secret giphy.gif

is seriously miss "universe" still a thing? Is mysogynistc, sexist, creepy and the fact that Donald owned it should tell you a lot.

• Like 1

Xoxo Adriana
1 minute ago, Dulo Peep said:

outdated pageant that is about to get cancelled just like Vicky's Secret giphy.gif

is seriously miss "universe" still a thing? Is mysogynistc, sexist, creepy and the fact that Donald owned it should tell you a lot.

from my understanding Victoria’s Secret hired their first trans angel a while ago. i mean, they had to face backlash for it to finally happen but they did eventually come through thank f**k. 

i was relieved they changed, being i buy a lot of their products.

vyniildisk
7 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

from my understanding Victoria’s Secret hired their first trans angel a while ago. i mean, they had to face backlash for it to finally happen but they did eventually come through thank f**k. 

it was too late and that was not the only inclusivity problem they faced. 

weed
15 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

I think it's also that they said they would never put a trans person in their big runway show because it wouldn't "sell the fantasy" and then they stopped the show completely lol.

JanStan

Why in the world are people so desparate to participate in things that obviously don’t want them. Reminds me of people who are part of a religion that doesnt accept them and they insist on changing the religion instead of finding one that agrees with their beliefs. There are different pageant systems which quite frankly are far more entertaining and prestigious than Miss USA (and that’s coming from a pageant fan). 

• Like 2