🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
society

Italy Reserves Moderna & Pfizer for Elderly... Astra-Zeneca For The Rest

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7665048/cda-astrazeneca-pfizer-vaccine-covid7665048/amp/

Italy has reserved Moderna and Pfizer for the elderly which show to be 95% effective while everyone else for now gets atrazeneca which by comparison is shown to be only 62% effective

Meanwhile many Nations health administers stress not to to think about what is a "best vaccine" as in a time of a shortage theres no best vaccine, which ever are avalable is better result than no shot

Edited by Economy

Economy

Well Italy to me makes more sense than what Canada said tbh....

I get what they mean that any shot is better than no shot and right now because there isnt enough to pick and choose ppl need to take what they are given...

But if theres evidence to show one is more effective than another reserving the best ones for the most vulnerable seems to make sense to me :shrug:

Andreu

They are doing this in Spain as well and I thought it was the norm for other countries already tbh

before there was love there was silence
  • Like 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, Andreu said:

They are doing this in Spain as well and I thought it was the norm for other countries already tbh

Is it? Well it makes sense

Here in Canada they have not made this decision but our first AZ doses havent come yet and maybe thats why they havent made that decision but they should think ahead

So far only pfizer and modern doses have reached here

LaLuna

Well it makes sense to give the best protection to the most vulnerable people. But if that's the logic they're going by, then they should also give it to people with diabetes, asthma and such.

• Like 1

homomo

Happening here in Ireland too. I think most of Europe plans to follow suit

Economy
8 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

Well it makes sense to give the best protection to the most vulnerable people. But if that's the logic they're going by, then they should also give it to people with diabetes, asthma and such.

A little off topic but i wonder why do health conditions like diabetes make severe symptoms more likely? Does it affect immunity? :oprah:

LaLuna
Just now, Economy said:

A little off topic but i wonder why do health conditions like diabetes make severe symptoms more likely? Does it affect immunity? :oprah:

Not gonna lie, I had to google it :laughga:

People with diabetes tend to live in a chronic inflammatory state, setting them up for a more severe inflammatory response to Covid-19 that can culminate in a life-threatening cytokine storm. That immune overreaction is thought to harm some people more through organ damage than via the actual viral infection.

• Like 1
  • Shook 1

Economy
7 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

Not gonna lie, I had to google it :laughga:

People with diabetes tend to live in a chronic inflammatory state, setting them up for a more severe inflammatory response to Covid-19 that can culminate in a life-threatening cytokine storm. That immune overreaction is thought to harm some people more through organ damage than via the actual viral infection.

Well makes sense. Thanks!

MelbHawker

Given the current scientific consensus globally being that Herd Immunity is the way out of this for us, why on Earth aren’t they only using the drug in the Pfizer vaccine? If you vaccinate half the (younger) population with a weaker vaccine, then you’re shooting yourself in the foot given they’re the super spreaders of this virus. So messy. 

Profit is at play here for these pharma companies & these so called global ‘health’ authorities. Nothing more. 

• Like 1

Economy
17 minutes ago, MelbHawker said:

Given the current scientific consensus globally being that Herd Immunity is the way out of this for us, why on Earth aren’t they only using the drug in the Pfizer vaccine? If you vaccinate half the (younger) population with a weaker vaccine, then you’re shooting yourself in the foot given they’re the super spreaders of this virus. So messy. 

Profit is at play here for these pharma companies & these so called global ‘health’ authorities. Nothing more. 

There isnt enough pfizer or moderna vaccines right now for everyone... excluding less effective ones from being administrated just means more ppl get no shot at all

Given these shots may need to be given annually since protection may not last forever (and virus mutates and vaccines need updates) it makes no sense to forgo shots that can be given now even if they arent the "best" available.

If we were in a situation of surplus vaccines we might as well only use the best ones but right now thats not the case so we better use everything available

In the future as production capacity rises some who might have to get a less effective vaccine now may get a better one next year if it becomes available. We may be able to be more picky about which shots to give but for the moment where there isnt enough for everyone what ur suggesting just mean less shots:shrug:

Edited by Economy

Rj Barker
1 hour ago, Economy said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7665048/cda-astrazeneca-pfizer-vaccine-covid7665048/amp/

Italy has reserved Moderna and Pfizer for the elderly which show to be 95% effective while everyone else for now gets atrazeneca which by comparison is shown to be only 62% effective

Meanwhile many Nations health administers stress not to to think about what is a "best vaccine" as in a time of a shortage theres no best vaccine, which ever are avalable is better result than no shot

Astrazeneca shows an efficacy of 81.3% when doses are given with 12 week interval. 62% is with a normal 3 to 6 week interval. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rj Barker
55 minutes ago, MelbHawker said:

All of the vaccines reduce transmission aswell as risk of death. None of them eliminate it.  And astrazeneca is better than what the op suggests. If given correctly with a 12 week interval the efficacy is 81.3%

Heed immunity will still be met.

• Like 3

Economy
1 hour ago, Rj Barker said:

Astrazeneca shows an efficacy of 81.3% when doses are given with 12 week interval. 62% is with a normal 3 to 6 week interval. 

So the longer interval actually works better? And that higher rate is still worse :enigma:

Economy
1 hour ago, Rj Barker said:

All of the vaccines reduce transmission aswell as risk of death. None of them eliminate it.  And astrazeneca is better than what the op suggests. If given correctly with a 12 week interval the efficacy is 81.3%

Heed immunity will still be met.

Correct me if im wrong but i thought the efficacity rate refered to supression of symptoms and ppl who remained asymptomatic not the spread rate :huh: