Sign in to follow this  
question

Should Michael Jackson be completely cancelled?

Just A Holy Fool

I've struggled with this off and on, especially since all the allegations of his inappropriate behaviour with minors was brought back into focus by Finding Neverland. The accounts given in that were so damning and I found the victims very credible. It was the first time we actually heard directly from alleged victims. 

Apparently the estate won a recent court challenge to take their lawsuit against HBO to arbitration, basically clearing the way for HBO to be held liable for damages for releasing the documentary. The estate is seeking $100 million. The estate claims it violated a non-disparaging clause they signed in the 1990s with MJ. 

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/michael-jackson-leaving-neverland-lawsuit-appeal-1234853036/

I love MJ's music, and I still enjoy listening to it, but every time I do I question if I should. 

Do others struggle with this?

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

SEANGT

it's easier if you just make it a personal decision since that's all you have control over. I'm sure he's guilty. I still will listen to his songs if they come on but I'm not seeking them out. 

• Like 18

KanyeWest

No because he's not a pedophile

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 6
  • LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 27

LittleMonster20

I’ve thought about this too but I’m just going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he’s not here to defend himself anymore. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Guest WhoDoWeHaveHere

He's dead. How much more do you want to cancel him? 

Retron

I think he did it. But he was too ingrained in the culture to properly cancel. Regardless, it's my opinion that people should just listen to his music for what it is, and divorce it from the man... because he's dead... so... 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just A Holy Fool
Just now, Retron said:

I think he did it. But he was too ingrained in the culture to properly cancel. Regardless, it's my opinion that people should just listen to his music for what it is, and divorce it from the man... because he's dead... so... 🤷‍♂️.

I think if what happened to him in 1993 happened to a superstar today in 2021... they would be definitely cancelled. 

• Like 7

agentprovocate
5 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

No because he's not a pedophile

and you know this because!?!?!?!?!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ryusei

He's dead.... what's the point?

Stan Fujii Kaze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Just A Holy Fool
Just now, Ryusei said:

He's dead.... what's the point?

Its a valid conversation to have because even though MJ the person is dead, his likeness and estate still generate more per year than most superstars currently... 

• Like 2

Retron
1 minute ago, Just A Holy Fool said:

I think if what happened to him in 1993 happened to a superstar today in 2021... they would be definitely cancelled. 

Totally. But they also wouldn't be Michael F'n Jackson. Even by 1993, he was king.

KanyeWest
1 minute ago, agentprovocate said:

and you know this because!?!?!?!?!?

do your research about who these people are in leaving neverland then u'll see 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

gumzy3000

I feel like we will never know the 100% complete truth. That is why I strongly believe in separating the art from the artist in some situations. Unless it is explicit and obvious of course - but I would be a hypocrite cause I still listen to DWUW with R.Kelly. 

A messy blend of logic and sass
  • Like 8

kukuryku666

You can always download his discography or buy it second hand and enjoying it without supporting him/his label 

they're studying business, I study the floor
  • Like 2

Andreu

The way I see it, the point of cancelling someone should be that you decide you will make sure you don't give money to that artist, that you don't want to help them become any more famous and overall that you don't want to support them. In this case, Michael is dead so he won't see any money and he can't get any more famous, so it's pointless imo.

Edited by Andreu
before there was love there was silence
  • Like 10