🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

lgbt

Increased trans hate crimes in UK after JK Rowling Gate

LittleMonster20
2 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Well read it and you'll tell me.

Uh she literally referred to trans women as men repeatedly in that bullshit ‘essay’. Stop defending her. I’ve read it multiple times, just as other trans people, and it’s just nonsense trying to protect her imagine while remaining brutally transphobic.

Edited by LittleMonster20
Don’t you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can’t be exactly who you are
  • Like 5

Chromatican
Just now, elijahfan said:

Well read it and you'll tell me.

Already did. It's pretty transphobic, and would've been even worse if it was written twenty years ago and the LGBT community hadn't fought harder for public acceptance.

• Like 1

Oriane

Yes, let's not act like the title isn't implying that J.K Rowling isn't the cause of this. If it's not, then it doesn't make any sense to put these two parts of the sentence together in the title. Otherwise I can just say "New virus discovered in China after Lady Gaga launches Haus Labs".

Hey sis! I know it's a bit awkward to ask but can you make me win? I know I flopped this round, I want to make sure I still have my throne

alsemanche
15 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

She wrote a 3,600-word long essay to explain her views, so obviously it's a bit more complex than that. Not that most of her attackers bothered reading it.

She can write a 500 page essay about it and still be transphobic. Just because she offered nuances doesn't mean that those nuances aren't transphobic. Anyone can sugarcoat their problematic statements with long winded writings and elevated language, it doesn't change the core meaning however. I never finished reading that essay because I started with it and it was full of blatant bullsh!t that I didn't need to continue the rest to form an opinion. It wasn't something I needed to read multiple times to understand. And I'm studying literature so I think I'm pretty confident with my reading comprehension skills and can point out an author's stance on topics since you wanna bring the "intellectual" argument into this. And that essay isn't the only thing she's ever said anyway. No matter how you turn it around, she's still at fault and harmful. 

Edited by alsemanche
  • Like 2

GagaSine
Just now, Oriane said:

Yes, let's not act like the title isn't implying that J.K Rowling isn't the cause of this. If it's not, then it doesn't make any sense to put these two parts of the sentence together in the title. Otherwise I can just say "New virus discovered in China after Lady Gaga launches Haus Labs".

The difference is Haus Labs isn’t campaigning for there to be less health restrictions in China and encouraging virus development :sis:

• Like 2

elijahfan
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

The point I'm making is that when JK started being transphobic a lot of people said we were spinning narratives and overreacting, and in this thread you guys who support JK seem to be doing just that, claiming that the op is blaming JK directly when he never said that, he is just bringing up a correlated point to that correlated with an increase in violence.

The JKR gate has put the issue to the forefront more than any other event the past year, so there's obviously a link. Call it consequence or correlation, I agree with both. I do think it was a mistake to put these ideas out into the world as it added to an already charged social context and gave bigots the feeling they were being validated.

I also think I know enough about JK's character to believe she's not completely irredeemable :shrug: You change for the better by trying to understand where people are coming from and having a conversation. Everyone can make mistakes and have uneducated opinions.

Oriane
12 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

The difference is Haus Labs isn’t campaigning for there to be less health restrictions in China and encouraging virus development :sis:

Yes but that's just to show how much of a reach you can do with this kind of logic, obviously when the two subjects are related people are going to make the connection and think there's an actual correlation :selena:

Hey sis! I know it's a bit awkward to ask but can you make me win? I know I flopped this round, I want to make sure I still have my throne

elijahfan
13 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

She can write a 500 page essay about it and still be transphobic. Just because she offered nuances doesn't mean that those nuances aren't transphobic. Anyone can sugarcoat their problematic statements with long winded writings and elevated language, it doesn't change the core meaning however. I never finished reading that essay because I started with it and it was full of blatant bullsh!t that I didn't need to continue the rest to form an opinion. It wasn't something I needed to read multiple times to understand. And I'm studying literature so I think I'm pretty confident with my reading comprehension skills and can point out an author's stance on topics since you wanna bring the "intellectual" argument into this. And that essay isn't the only thing she's ever said anyway. No matter how you turn it around, she's still at fault and harmful. 

Of course, I agree. Like I said previously, I don't think you can change people for the better by repeatedly antagonizing them and refusing to understand where they're coming from. I think I know JK's work enough to know that she's a compassionate woman who can be educated if only people were willing to have the conversation.

beabeaxo5
19 minutes ago, Oriane said:

Congrats, this is the dumbest sh*t I've read on this site.

How hard is it to understand that JK Rowling has a HUGE influence and she is practically known for spitting out transphobia. It's not impossible for her to be contributing to a herd mentality 🐑

Edited by beabeaxo5

GagaSine
27 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Of course, I agree. Like I said previously, I don't think you can change people for the better by repeatedly antagonizing them and refusing to understand where they're coming from. I think I know JK's work enough to know that she's a compassionate woman who can be educated if only people were willing to have the conversation.

There are literally tons of people willing to have the conversation, and implying that all trans ppl/activists are angry/belligerent/unwilling to have a polite conversation is a bit... gauche to say the least. People have written their own essays breaking down her points in a logical manner and explaining the problems. JKR just clearly doesn’t care and surrounds herself with other radical feminists that are anti trans.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, surrounds itself with other ducks, you‘re probably not going to convince it it‘s wrong to be a duck.

It‘s cute that you‘re willing to extend an excessive amount of grace, benefit of the doubt and forgiveness towards uh rich White women who should know better, I guess but maybe save it for people who are actually maligned and discriminated against. Just a mild suggestion.

Edited by GagaSine
  • Like 5

Oriane
2 minutes ago, beabeaxo5 said:

Congrats, this is the dumbest sh*t I've read on this site.

How hard is it to understand that JK Rowling has a HUGE influence and she is practically known for spitting out transphobia. It's not impossible for her to be contributing to a herd mentality 🐑

Contributing yes, but she didn't single-handedly made those numbers increase, how hard is it to understand that?

beabeaxo5
Just now, Oriane said:

Contributing yes, but she didn't single-handedly made those numbers increase, how hard is it to understand that?

If she's contributing then she's still increasing those numbers :billie:

• Like 2

GagaSine
Just now, Oriane said:

So your example was meaningless then... unless you‘re saying Haus Labs actually did contribute to Covid 19 :excuseu:

alsemanche
6 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Except people have done that EXCESSIVELY with her. Sure, many attacked her (and I don't think that's wrong but whatever), but many also wrote at length about her essay and whatnot and many sent her links, articles, essays, etc. Not to mention that she has access to much credible and accurate information and activists have endless platforms online that she could use to educate herself without even being asked to by anyone else. She's old enough to seek out information is she wants to. If she's not willing to change anything after all of that then why should I believe she's compassionate and why would I believe that engaging in a conversation with her could potentially change things? 

• Like 2