💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Increased trans hate crimes in UK after JK Rowling Gate

Supersonic

British leaders previously boasted of the UK’s top-place ranking on ILGA-Europe’s equality index, but the country tumbled significantly in recent years – as others leap ahead while the UK struggles to implement basic reforms on gender recognition and conversion therapy.

Significantly, the report notes the rise of anti-trans voices in UK society and the damage they have caused to progress on equality.

It notes: “Anti-trans rhetoric continued to cause serious damage in the UK again this year. A prime example is repeated transphobic attacks by author JK Rowling, on Twitter and in her writing.”

The report continues: “Her statements have been harshly criticised by trans people, activists and writers. A growing number of celebrities, including from Harry Potter films, have spoken out in support of trans communities.

“Some trans people expressed their wish to leave the UK because of the growing hate.”

The report warns that in some parts of the UK, “hate crimes had been steadily increasing… in part due to an increase in reporting, but also influenced by increasing hostility in UK-wide media towards trans identities and communities”.

Contributors to the review in several countries have expressed fears of their governments following in the footsteps of Poland and Hungary, while attacks on freedom of assembly continue to be a growing trend with brutal crackdowns and attacks, and court cases against people who took part in Pride events in 2019.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/02/17/ilga-europe-jk-rowling-anti-trans-rhetoric-annual-review-transphobia-uk/

Edited by Supersonic
  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 19

Chromatican

Why has the UK descended into Terf Island? I don't understand why they are so hostile towards trans acceptance.

alsemanche

This is really infuriating. What's worse is that Rowling's stans still insist that either she's not transphobic or that her actions are inconsequential. That being said, I think the article is trying to be sensational in a way by putting Rowling in the title and her photo at the beginning, especially that she was only given as an example rather than as a sole cause behind the decline in trans acceptance. 
Doesn't change the fact that she has a big influence and that she's contributing to it, and defending her or taking away blame from her is only making things worse for trans people. She really has nothing to say for herself and her fans really need to get out of their blind obsession and accept that she's problematic as f*ck and that her actions are actively harming people whether she and they want to admit it or not. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

alsemanche
10 minutes ago, Beatboom said:

How the hell is this being blamed on JKR 🙄

Rowling is huge in the UK (and worldwide) and she's been spewing transphobic bullsh!t for ages now. She's not the only one to blame but she is playing a big part in the issue by adopting her transphobic narrative and publicly speaking about it over and over again. It's not like she's an underground author that no one has ever heard of. She has a big influence and she's weaponizing it against trans people despite endless people educating her every time she does it. And the article very clearly says that the anti-trans rhetoric that she is taking part in is very harmful. 

Edited by alsemanche
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 20

Supersonic
Just now, Beatboom said:

How the hell is this being blamed on JKR 🙄

Notice how the thread title is "after" JK Rowling gate and not "because". This article does not blame JK Rowling solitarily for the increased amount of violent crimes that happen to trans people in the UK.

HOWEVER, it reports on the FACT that in 2020 (the year of JK Rowlings's public transphobic meltdowns that were awarded with prizes from the BBC), more trans people have fallen victims to crimes, based on their gender indendity, than they have before. And that her comments fall into a narrative of increased hostility against trans people in mainstream media.

Correlation is not causation. 

I could have easily pulled out a narrative out of my ass that portrays Jowling Kowling Rowling as Hitler, but I chose not to, because I am over my immature leftist phase that I had in 2015. I'd greatly appreciate if people would take the time for a 5 minute read before coming to snap judgements. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FATCAT

200.gif

Report any transphobes that pop in here to troll! Tag me in the report if it's urgent

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 8

Xoxo Adriana

if JK Rowling was the reason many people suddenly clicked and decided to attack trans people, that makes literally no sense. we should be blaming nobody else but the attackers themselves. JK is a piece of sh*t but she's hasn't gone to the extreme to tell people to attack trans people (at least not physically, thank god). in my opinion blaming her for the actions of terrorists - because that's what these people are, is letting these terrorists get away with murder whilst everyone focuses on JK for their actions.

what we can all agree on though is the rise in non-physical anti trans opinions since JK became super vocal. also trans/lgbtq violence as a whole will sadly be expected to rise as its becoming more mainstream/open to society. 

lets just hope things can get better but it unfortunately doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

Edited by Xoxo Adriana
  • Like 1

Chromatican
Just now, Xoxo Adriana said:

if JK Rowling was the reason many people suddenly clicked and decided to attack trans people, that makes literally no sense. we should be blaming nobody else but the attackers themselves. JK is a piece of sh*t but she's hasn't gone to the extreme to tell people to attack trans people (at least not physically, thank god). in my opinion blaming her for the actions of terrorists, because that's what these people are, is not correct.

what we can all agree on though is the rise in non-physical anti trans opinions since JK became super vocal. also trans/lgbtq violence as a whole will sadly be expected to rise as its becoming more mainstream/open to society. 

lets just hope things can get better but it unfortunately doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

No one in this thread has blamed JK for anything.

Xoxo Adriana
1 minute ago, Chromatican said:

No one in this thread has blamed JK for anything.

read the title

Chromatican
Just now, Xoxo Adriana said:

read the title

The title doesn't blame JK for anything. Read this:

13 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Notice how the thread title is "after" JK Rowling gate and not "because". This article does not blame JK Rowling solitarily for the increased amount of violent crimes that happen to trans people in the UK.

HOWEVER, it reports on the FACT that in 2020 (the year of JK Rowlings's public transphobic meltdowns that were awarded with prizes from the BBC), more trans people have fallen victims to crimes, based on their gender indendity, than they have before. And that her comments fall into a narrative of increased hostility against trans people in mainstream media.

Correlation is not causation. 

I could have easily pulled out a narrative out of my ass that portrays Jowling Kowling Rowling as Hitler, but I chose not to, because I am over my immature leftist phase that I had in 2015. I'd greatly appreciate if people would take the time for a 5 minute read before coming to snap judgements. 

Edited by Chromatican

Xoxo Adriana
8 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

that paragraph is literally blaming JK Rowling for anti-trans attacks.

"HOWEVER, it reports on the FACT that in 2020 (the year of JK Rowlings's public transphobic meltdowns that were awarded with prizes from the BBC), more trans people have fallen victims to crimes, based on their gender indendity, than they have before. And that her comments fall into a narrative of increased hostility against trans people in mainstream media."

we can definitely agree that more anti-trans views have increased since JK started her verbal diarrhoea twitter rants, however the paragraph explicitly insinuates/blames her for the spike in anti-trans violence. I am simply saying we should hold the terrorists that are sparking these violent attacks against trans people accountable for their own actions, not her.

spreading misinformation like this is not helpful at all, and even if the article wasnt meant to portray it this way, it sure sounds it and will give people the wrong information.

Edited by Xoxo Adriana

GagaSine

Denying that there is no connection between multiple media figures essentially being vocally anti trans and anti trans healthcare, as well as participating in fear mongering like “we’re losing our young lesbian girls and tomboys to transness”, and an increase in hate crimes and attacks against trans people

is exactly the kind of logical leap I expect from Gagadaily, why did I enter this thread lmao :awkney:

no she is not directly responsible, but she has certainly contributed to the atmosphere that emboldens transphobia 

Edited by GagaSine
  • Like 5

imnotyourbabe10

JKR is a mess and correlation doesn’t mean causation. She has had a cultural impact, to be sure! Not denying or negating her bullshit.

• Like 1

elijahfan
6 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

You guys are playing on words... The title is obviously implying JK contributed to this hate climate. And she might have tbh: I still don't think she meant anyone any harm, but her opinion was probably a little too subtle for most to fully grasp, especially the media who loves to over-simplify everything, so suddenly it became Ok in the UK to publicly trash trans people. If anything, I'd say the media is more responsible than JK... But the truth is: there's a social problem in the UK regarding trans issues, and there has been for years. I'd say JK is more a consequence of that than a cause. But hey, we all love a famous scapegoat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1