💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Biden: $15 min wage not happening under COVID relief bill

reysus
22 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

The margins at most restaurants that are not backed by big corporations/part of a chain are razor thin, the operating costs are so high that exploiting labour (not paying overtime, overworking everyone, stealing tips from workers etc) is considered normal and necessary. 

So when people say “if you can’t afford to pay your workers living wage just close!” I wonder if they realize that means almost every restaurant that isn’t like a McDonalds, Kelsey’s, Cheesecake Factory would shut down. Or you have to accept paying very fancy restaurant prices (30+ dollars for a small dish) for not necessarily fancy food.

This is why I am a supporter of people like Andrew Yang/UBI in general. I am in full agreement that too many Americans are living on wages that are wayyy too low and it is a disgrace to this country. However I think that increasing the minimum wage across the board will benefit large corporations that have the captial to increasingly automate a lot of processes to keep prices lower, to a point where small business just will not be able to compete. Like realistically, are you going to buy from the local shop that has to pay high labor costs, or from Amazon when they can automate large parts of the buying process? Hence why we should tax those gains from automation and give it back to the American people.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Morphine Prince
14 minutes ago, myluis617 said:

tumblr_ornubzq7ID1s2n4poo1_400.gif

Have a Nice one, Baby. :huntyga:

I don’t understand why someone would come into a politics thread and initiate a discussion just to throw a tantrum and post sassy gifs. 

What a waste of time when real discussion could be happening. 

• Like 6

JusKeepBreathin

He hasn't given up on it. He wants it to be bipartisan. 

“President Biden has been consistent in private and public about his commitment to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, which is why he included it in his first major piece of legislation,” said White House spokesperson Mike Gwin. “That commitment will remain unshaken whether or not this can be done through reconciliation.”

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JusKeepBreathin
41 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

If you can’t increase the minimum wage as part of a pandemic relief plan you probably won’t get it passed anytime later. 

We can only operate in the NOW. As of NOW, Biden is saying it is not happening. This will be his first mayor legislation and he is giving up on a minimum wage increase. 

What he said is that it won't be through reconciliation. But go off I guess.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Thanks 1

Chromatican
6 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

He hasn't given up on it. He wants it to be bipartisan. 

“President Biden has been consistent in private and public about his commitment to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, which is why he included it in his first major piece of legislation,” said White House spokesperson Mike Gwin. “That commitment will remain unshaken whether or not this can be done through reconciliation.”

4 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

What he said is that it won't be through reconciliation. But go off I guess.

The average American does not care if their wages increase through a bipartisan process or not.

• Thanks 2

JusKeepBreathin
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

The average American does not care if their wages increase through a bipartisan process or not.

The majority of Americans should consider their wage hike as a part of who they vote for. Not everything should be rammed in on a 51 majority. 

Edited by JusKeepBreathin

myluis617
12 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

I don’t understand why someone would come into a politics thread and initiate a discussion just to throw a tantrum and post sassy gifs. 

What a waste of time when real discussion could be happening. 

I really don't know what you're talking about that is why i'm not continuing no convo with you cause you're the one just saying im throwing a tantrum, like to me it feels ur playing mind games cause gurl, that's not what i'm doing. So again I say Have a nice life. Keep your opinion i'll stick with mine.

Edited by myluis617

Chromatican
Just now, JusKeepBreathin said:

The majority of Americans should consider their wage hike as a part of who they vote for. 

Look at Florida, they voted for Trump and a $15 minimum wage. Clearly that's not how that works 100% of the time.

• Thanks 3

Chromatislaps

Well lets also remember that big changes like this take years to happen... it seems simple in concept, but it's not. I guess there is lots of bureaucracy that is making this more of a long term thing.

JusKeepBreathin
3 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Look at Florida, they voted for Trump and a $15 minimum wage. Clearly that's not how that works 100% of the time.

Clearly it's how it works. Because Florida will get their wage hike and if those Floridians wanted the same for the the federal wage hike they need to vote for politicians that are in favor of it like they did in Georgia 

Edited by JusKeepBreathin

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, myluis617 said:

I really don't know what you're talking about that is why i'm not continuing no convo with you cause you're the one just saying im throwing a tantrum, like to me it feels ur playing mind games cause gurl, that's not what i'm doing. So again I say Have a nice life. Keep your opinion i'll stick with mine.

You called me a whining child but to me it seemed you were the one having a reactionary tirade. Which is why I said you were throwing a tantrum? 

Now you know what I was talking about.

• Like 4

Economy
50 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

While I appreciate and agree with this perspective, I always think of the restaurant industry and how this would completely wipe it out.

The margins at most restaurants that are not backed by big corporations/part of a chain are razor thin, the operating costs are so high that exploiting labour (not paying overtime, overworking everyone, stealing tips from workers etc) is considered normal and necessary. 

So when people say “if you can’t afford to pay your workers living wage just close!” I wonder if they realize that means almost every restaurant that isn’t like a McDonalds, Kelsey’s, Cheesecake Factory would shut down. Or you have to accept paying very fancy restaurant prices (30+ dollars for a small dish) for not necessarily fancy food.

Maybe for some that isn’t a loss but personally restaurants besides being where my career is based are also a great source of pleasure in my life, I love going to new restaurants either where I live or when traveling. Eating unique food makes me really happy. 

Of course being paid a livable wage is infinitely more important, but it isn’t always the businesses’ fault. The restaurant industry has been very unstable for decades, stuff like food costs and also constantly rising rents contribute as well. Some rent control or support for small businesses in the form of tax breaks or something would be helpful.

Thats different tho. If its an entire industry that pays minimum wage and is on the margin u can expect them to pass on the higher labor costs onto consumers thru higher prices. It wouldnt be a competitive issue because almost every restaurant would do it

Im talking about companies in general that cannot compete in their sector. They end up being a drag on the economy

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

myluis617
2 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You called me a whining child but to me it seemed you were the one having a reactionary tirade. Which is why I said you were throwing a tantrum? 

Now you know what I was talking about.

Well you did, That's not a tantrum its my perception of what you wrote. Now you can say "my perception of your reaction is that you were throwing a tantrum" Satisfy your ego and keep moving.

Edited by myluis617

Morphine Prince
Just now, myluis617 said:

Well you did, That's not a tantrum its my perception of what you wrote. Now you can say "my perception of your reaction is that you were throwing a tantrum" Satisfy ur ego.

Not sure how advocating for a $15 federal min wage is being a whining child, but you do you, I guess!

Next time have the decency to discuss political topics without personal insults when literally nobody was coming for you or saying anything warranting an attack. 

Stay classy. 

• Like 7

myluis617
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

Not sure how advocating for a $15 federal min wage is being a whining child, but you do you, I guess!

Next time have the decency to discuss political topics without personal insults when literally nobody was coming for you or saying anything warranting an attack. 

Stay classy. 

Posing Season 2 GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air