đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

celeb

The Weeknd: "I have three Grammys, which mean nothing to me now"

COOOK

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I wouldn't have said that line about the 3 he has already meaning nothing to him now. That just comes across as overly petty and it suggests he only started viewing them as corrupt when he stopped being nominated. If asked about this kind of thing, artists should be nothing but humble and take an "it is what it is" approach. Say that you're just glad the public loved it and that's where the impact is ultimately felt and leave it at that. But don't go overboard with the idea of it all meaning nothing. Winning Grammys have clearly meant a lot for some artists legacy and no matter what we say about them, we continue to hold them up and they're part of the elusive EGOT title we want for our faves. Every institution has an "ultimate" award and this is it. I don't buy it that some artists aren't remotely interested in getting one.

5 hours ago, Wet Fire said:

No matter how much we individually diss the Grammys, they represent an institution with a strong commercial and cultural control. Even if Yummy is nominated (and this basically means Grammy judges are chimpanzees), the Grammys will still determine the career of many artists. Because, when you win a Grammy, you're written down in history in a way, and the importance of it is not going down soon.

That's what I always say. I have a complicated relationship with them. Praising them when they award my faves, cursing them when they get snubbed. But that's the nature of the beast of awards committees - they can't get it right all the time and what is right is subjective. Clearly, not every Grammy decision is corrupt and there have been many times the public is in unanimous agreement about the winner so they can't be all bad yet we claim they are. And miraculously only when our faves get snubbed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Wet Fire said:

No matter how much we individually diss the Grammys, they represent an institution with a strong commercial and cultural control. Even if Yummy is nominated (and this basically means Grammy judges are chimpanzees), the Grammys will still determine the career of many artists. Because, when you win a Grammy, you're written down in history in a way, and the importance of it is not going down soon.

The imagery!

I live outside the space time continuum.

ZERO  nominations :spin:... I was confused lol, of course he was confused... I still think it's weird, very weird :huh:. I'm not even thinking he should be the actual Grammy winner and  surely he didn't deserve all the nominations, but none was a bit absurd. Anyways it doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, PartySick said:

Funny how Grammys don't matter when it's you/your fave that's getting slighted :huntyga:

Talking to myself too for being salty when Gaga doesn't get recognized :huntyga:

But then again, I'd still be stanning her even if she didn't have 11 Grammys in her house :huntyga:

Same.  And even if she never won an award.  What Gaga does is so much more important than awards.

I live outside the space time continuum.

ALGAYDO

“I cared about them when I won/got nominations but now that I’m not nominated suddenly they’re trash” vibes lol 

Chlorine

OOOOOK.

Artists get snubbed left and right and if he had this notion this was "his year" and that was his north star, girl, get a grip. 

Grammys should not be the destination nor the validation. I guess he got himself together now though. :gayhat:

mindintransit

Gaga has a house full of awards and she is more, so much more, than her awards.
I still want her to win many more awards. I love it when she wins awards. I hope she wins grammys this year. But I'm happy that she'll most likely be filming Gucci and won't be part of this year's show.

You can disagree with Abel speaking out but AH was rightfully considered one of the favorites to win AOTY. AH wasn't just another album. It's a bad look.
We know that the top 20 albums voted in the first round by grammy members are sent to a committee. The committee has absolute power to decide all the nominees. We have no idea which albums received the most votes. We don't know who is on the committees. We don't know what factors into their decisions. The process is not in any way transparent.
I can't picture the AMPAS letting a secret committee select best picture nominations. The oscars are messy but all on their own academy members have nominated blockbuster films AND art house films. We can disagree with the winners but we don't have to wonder how movies are nominated. It's clearly spelled out by AMPAS. The grammys tell us that it's none of our business how nominees are selected.
Abel doesn't have a choice. He has to just suck it up. He didn't in any way act like he thought he should win. But not even getting nominated for AH and BL is questionable. I'm not even a fan and I thought it was pretty questionable. Honestly, how could the music industry think that secret committees for grammy nominations is a good idea. They diminish the value of the grammys and that's not fair to artists.

Nickypie101

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. Yes I acknowledge he was snubbed hard but this man sweeps every award show. Every radio station. His popularity is insane and it’s jsut starting to sound a little entitled to me. Let other artist have some spotlight. You’ve been in it for waaaaay to long with music that sounds all pretty similar :coffee:  Idk if anyone will agree but cmon 

PropaGaga
4 hours ago, DirrtyPony said:

This just rubs me the wrong way.

So the 3 Grammys meant something to him at one point, but because he wasn't nominated for a 4th or 5th, they are trash now? I have to wonder if he was nominated this year, would he still think the Grammys are corrupt? :oprah:

More like his experience with the Recording Academy revealed it to be something insidious and it probably spoiled his previous wins because he's been made aware of how corrupt the process actually is.

JustTea

The way Chromatica deserved AOTY more than After Hours or any of the nominees imo. It's not about the success but the whole concept of the album as a piece of art. Chromatica first listen was a heavenly experience I've never had before. Sadly Scammys have no taste whatsoever. :madge:

Awards are kind dumb tbh... Adults sitting around hoping for a little gold statue... And you can't really judge what is "best" anyway. Most of the Oscar best picture winners are shite. 

Butters Stotch

I wouldn't pay much attention to this, but I do get he's as shocked as we all are. This just proves awards ceremonies are corrupt and fixed to create controversy and to keep people speaking.

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

FentyGa

honestly, i respect that

if i had the best album of the year and it didn’t get nominated, i’d question the legitimacy of all of my other wins

FentyGa
14 hours ago, ALGAYDO said:

“I cared about them when I won/got nominations but now that I’m not nominated suddenly they’re trash” vibes lol 

i think it’s more to do with the fact that after hours and blinding lights were huge records, and, on top of the sales, they’re some of his best work. so, if his best work doesn’t win anything, that takes away from his previous wins, because the legitimacy isn’t there anymore 

Archived