💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Biden Repeals Ban on Transgender Troops

Nano

President Biden rolled back Trump's awful ban on trans people from serving our country in the military! This was a fantastic move and hopefully we get to see more progressive measures! :heart: :party:

Speaking briefly to reporters, Biden said the order will allow all "qualified Americans to serve their country in uniform."

In the text of the order, Biden adds: "It is my conviction as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces that gender identity should not be a bar to military service. Moreover, there is substantial evidence that allowing transgender individuals to serve in the military does not have any meaningful negative impact on the Armed Forces."

Biden had campaigned on overturning former President Donald Trump's ban.

https://www.npr.org/sections/president-biden-takes-office/2021/01/25/960338217/biden-repeals-trump-era-ban-on-transgender-soldiers

You chew beef, I wear meat.
  • Like 9
  • YAAAS 9
  • Love 12
  • Shook 1

jacs vs looser

That's great news, I wonder if people who got discharged because of Trump's ban can just go back to serving if they wish to? And how easy/difficult that process would be. 

• Like 3

Nano
1 minute ago, jacs vs looser said:

That's great news, I wonder if people who got discharged because of Trump's ban can just go back to serving if they wish to? And how easy/difficult that process would be. 

It seems like President Biden is asking the Departments of Defense for a report within 60 days to correct the discharges due to their gender identity. He is trying to make reparations which is honorable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

alsemanche

Again, "inclusive" imperialism and military violence is nothing to celebrate. This isn't the "win" y'all think it is just because it's painted in progressive colors. Trust me other countries won't appreciated being f*cked over by trans people over cis people lmao

• Like 7
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 2

GagaSine
Just now, alsemanche said:

Again, "inclusive" imperialism and military violence is nothing to celebrate. This isn't the "win" y'all think it is just because it's painted in progressive colors. Trust me other countries won't appreciated being f*cked over by trans people over cis people lmao

Love this take :golfclap: trans lives matter in countries terrorized by the US military as well. I am reminded of that awful case where an American marine murdered a Filipina trans woman with next to no repercussions.

• Like 5

alsemanche
Just now, GagaSine said:

Love this take :golfclap: trans lives matter in countries terrorized by the US military as well. I am reminded of that awful case where an American marine murdered a Filipina trans woman with next to no repercussions.

That's the thing about identity politics: people see a marginalized group given something and they immediately get on board with 0 thought put into its repercussions. Idk how anyone can see anythign related to American military as a win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

GagaSine
9 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

That's the thing about identity politics: people see a marginalized group given something and they immediately get on board with 0 thought put into its repercussions. Idk how anyone can see anythign related to American military as a win. 

The thing is this materially doesn’t do anything for most trans women. Legislating free healthcare or mandating that SRS be covered by health insurance would be steps towards trans liberation that actually mean something and are worth celebrating. Defunding the police. Decriminalizing sex work. But Biden is not doing any of these things.

• Like 4

Nano
34 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

That is a really good point. I was taking this headline for face value and really didn't delve deeper into its broader context.  You're absolutely right about American imperialism. Thank you for the reality check!

18 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

The thing is this materially doesn’t do anything for most trans women. Legislating free healthcare or mandating that SRS be covered by health insurance would be steps towards trans liberation that actually mean something and are worth celebrating. Defunding the police. Decriminalizing sex work. But Biden is not doing any of these things.

Also another really poignant observation! There is still so much work that needs to be done for a more equitable society. Hopefully in our lifetimes we'll see politicians pass meaningful legislation like what you mentioned. 

Edited by Nano
  • Like 1

GagaSine

@Nano sorry I was not meaning to derail your thread with opinions lol but i appreciate you being open to other perspectives!

• Like 2

Nano
Just now, GagaSine said:

@Nano sorry I was not meaning to derail your thread with opinions lol but i appreciate you being open to other perspectives!

not to worry! it is really important to consider and remember what the US military has done/stood for. what you wrote is 100% valid and its good to know where society falls short. we're here to discuss issues respectfully on a forum and share our thoughts!:kara:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

MJHolland
1 hour ago, alsemanche said:

You can hold your opinion about the US military while simultaneously acknowledging that this is a win for trans rights, you know :awkney:

45 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Ok, but...

The US Department of Veterans Affairs provides a wide variety of benefits, e.g., educational assistance (GI Bill), healthcare, assisted living, home loans, insurance, and burial and memorial services, for retired or separated United States armed forces personnel, their dependents, and survivors.

Trans troops that were discharged because of Trump got all of those rights ripped away from them. This act restores those rights to trans veterans and their spouses. 

--

I'm not a fan of everything (or most) of what the US military has done, but that's high key a separate issue. Plus, the commander in chief of the US military changes every 4-8 years... veterans aren't the ones to blame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

alsemanche
11 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

You can hold your opinion about the US military while simultaneously acknowledging that this is a win for trans rights, you know :awkney:

Except its literally not a win. I'm pretty sure bombing other people (including trans people) and invading their lands and meddling with their stability is not a win. Idc what the benefits or whatever are, its literal BS. But then again most people here and elsewhere think Kamala being a VP is a win or Biden taking over the US is a great accomplishment so I'm not surprised lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JusKeepBreathin

But but but this means nothing because student debt, imperialism, etc.

OMG the sink is flooding and there is a whole in the wall.... Tear the house down!!!

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

GagaSine
9 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

Except its literally not a win. I'm pretty sure bombing other people (including trans people) and invading their lands and meddling with their stability is not a win. Idc what the benefits or whatever are, its literal BS. But then again most people here and elsewhere think Kamala being a VP is a win or Biden taking over the US is a great accomplishment so I'm not surprised lol

Not to mention the incredibly high instances of rape in the military and the way it is continually covered up. 

https://thesource.com/2014/01/21/justice-for-lavena-johnson-raped-murdered-or-suicide-the-evidence-says-one-thing-u-s-military-says-another/

Trigger warning for descriptions of an autopsy of LaVena Johnson who was violently beaten & assaulted, which the military then covered up 

Statistics say 25% of women who serve in the US military were raped by other service members.

Edited by GagaSine
  • Like 3