🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
society

Russia Starts Banning Death Note And Other Anime

BUtterfield 8

This Wednesday, a St. Petersburg court has banned the Death Note, Tokyo Ghoul, and Inuyashiki anime after concerns that teenagers would mimic on-screen violence.

The district court stated, “Every episode contains cruelty, murder, violence.” 

In mid-December, five lawsuits were filed against 49 Russian sites distributing anime. State prosecutors also called for the court to ban other shows including Elfen Lied and Naruto in yet-to-be-decided suits. 

Oleg Erlikh, an expert from St. Petersburg Academy of Postgraduate Pedagogical Education, said Death Note was “potentially dangerous for a modern child.”

The ruling bans two websites from distributing the Death Note and Inuyashiki anime and one website from showing Tokyo Ghoul. As the Moscow Times points out, the state-run RIA Novosti news agency says the ban only impacts these specific sites. However, Meduza explains that Russia’s censorship agency, Roskomnadzor, could interpret the ban as more encompassing for these anime. 

There have been calls to ban Death Note some 2013. At that time, a 15 year old girl died by suicide, with 4 copies of the Death Note manga discovered in her room. Some blamed the comic for the girl’s death, and a group of parents even appealed directly to Russian President Vladimir Putin to ban the manga on the grounds that it was harmful to the country’s youth.

Source

Edited by BUtterfield 8
  • LMAO 9
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

GagaSine

What is this, 1950’s America? :flop: Ridiculous, couldn’t be the horrible repressive country that Russia is right now, it has to be some f*ckin’ cartoons

• Like 10

xoxo Craig

So if they watch Naruto, will kids crash into things going "RASENGAN"? Will Russia's track team run like this? 

Pls... :billie:

Suicide is no joke but its probably to do with the environment rather than an anime. Something was going on deep within her, and its tragic but I don't think you can blame an anime for that. 

End Racism Now
  • Like 1

SlipAway
13 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

What is this, 1950’s America? :flop:

More like North Korea circa well, anytime 

RAMROD

Oh...,

250uoe.jpg

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 🏳️‍🌈 Wiccan ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜 Hulkling 🏳️‍🌈 Forever 🏳️‍🌈
  • LMAO 1

GagaSine

Does anyone remember that episode of Death Note where Light was writing in the death note inside of a bag of chips because he knew he was being surveillanced lol

• LMAO 6

River

and the Dratini episode is still banned in the US :grr:

I'd rather be dead but I guess I'm alive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Thanks 2

VenusHooker
4 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Does anyone remember that episode of Death Note where Light was writing in the death note inside of a bag of chips because he knew he was being surveillanced lol

afcdcd46761266a63f9cad95d3efae29.gif

last.fm/user/Garzilazo
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

RebeldeFaith

Wait! The Russian government is worried about teenagers mimicking violence in anime? But they don't do anything about the violence that it's already happening everyday? Domestic violence, the constant bullying and abuse against gay people, etc.

I'm... :awkney:

Edited by RebeldeFaith
I guess this count as a signature, right?
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Quartz

Lmao what about the nonfiction violence that happens there? When will that get banned?

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ignotus
24 minutes ago, VenusHooker said:

afcdcd46761266a63f9cad95d3efae29.gif

This scene is so extra i love it :huntyga:

• Like 1

Monsterabriel

Glad I don't live in Russia

She/Her/Hers Gender:Female

SEXODUS

Well... this sounds like nothing to do with anime inciting violence and everything to do with politics.

𝐈𝐧 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐩𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐳𝐢, 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧' 𝐩𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐳𝐢 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛*𝐭𝐜𝐡.
  • Like 2

TimisaMonster

#WorldProblemsFirst :awkney:

Kim Kardashian People Are Dying GIF

Stream my new single 🔥"Sapphire Phoenix"🔥 on Spotify!

ThisGuyTony
52 minutes ago, RebeldeFaith said:

Wait! The Russian government is worried about teenagers mimicking violence in anime? But they don't do anything about the violence that it's already happening everyday? Domestic violence, the constant bullying and abuse against gay people, etc.

I'm... :awkney:

50 minutes ago, Quartz said:

Lmao what about the nonfiction violence that happens there? When will that get banned?

:tea: :tea: :tea: 

• Like 1