🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Campaigners in court hoping for a new Scottish independence vote

Miss Dolly

“Scottish independence campaigners are asking a court to rule that the country’s devolved parliament already has the power to hold a new referendum on leaving the U.K.

The crowd-funded case started in the Court of Session in Edinburgh on Thursday, and the judiciary is being asked to issue a so-called declarator, stating that Scotland’s devolved parliament can call an independence vote without the approval of the U.K. government. Judge Ailsa Carmichael said she expects to publish her ruling “in days, rather than weeks.””

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2021-01-21/scottish-independence-campaigners-seek-court-ruling-on-new-vote

Edited by Miss Dolly
Blue smoke is the heartbreak train
  • Like 1

AlexanderMagno

As much as I could support the cause, I’m really apprehensive about this. Now that there is hope that the Western world goes back in track with Trump gone, now that the world is going through one of the worst health and economic crisis of all time, won’t this new referendum do more harm than good? It will break one of the most powerful countries in the world in the worst possible time. It will very likely be followed by other independence movements inside Europe, such as Catalonia and even Flanders, and separatist movements will increase. Unlike many expectations, it is not likely that Scotland will be part of the UE right away. I just see enormous repercussions that will affect world politics and economy for years to come. I don’t know, the world needs to go back to some peace and this won’t be it. Again, even though I understand that Scotland deserves more autonomy! I’m sympathetic about your cause, I just fear this is not the right time (but I’m also aware that in a couple of years the Brexit situation will be somewhat regularized and the momentum for independence will be gone). 

I don’t know, I’m conflicted. Anyway, I will be following this situation closely.

Miss Dolly
1 minute ago, AlexanderMagno said:

As much as I could support the cause, I’m really apprehensive about this. Now that there is hope that the Western world goes back in track with Trump gone, now that the world is going through one of the worst health and economic crisis of all time, won’t this new referendum do more harm than good? It will break one of the most powerful countries in the world in the worst possible time. It will very likely be followed by other independence movements inside Europe, such as Catalonia and even Flanders, and separatist movements will increase. Unlike many expectations, it is not likely that Scotland will be part of the UE right away. I just see enormous repercussions that will affect world politics and economy for years to come. I don’t know, the world needs to go back to some peace and this won’t be it. Again, even though I understand that Scotland deserves more autonomy! I’m sympathetic about your cause, I just fear this is not the right time (but I’m also aware that in a couple of years the Brexit situation will be somewhat regularized and the momentum for independence will be gone). 

I don’t know, I’m conflicted. Anyway, I will be following this situation closely.

I do have my fears when it comes to independence but I feel we are better going our own way no matter the situation. Things are turning extremely bleak and horrible when it comes to Brexit. Rejoining the EU would be my number 1 priority at the moment and with the far-right Government at No. 10 right now I don’t see that happening. I am fully aware we won’t be joining the EU straight away but we can join the EFTA pretty much as soon as we are independent. I just think Scotland deserves better and I don’t trust the UK Government with improving the situation in Scotland

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train