Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
book

What are your must-read books?

monster4life231

Featured Posts

monster4life231

Which books would you consider to be a must-read?

Mine would be:

Sapiens (by Yuval Noah Harari) - gives an amazing overview of human history and a prediction on the future.

Natives (by Akala) - gives an excellent account of the struggle of POC and the working class in the UK, highlighting racism and class prejudices, along with snippets of autobiographical accounts.

The Communist Manifesto (by Marx and Engels) - whether you agree or disagree with the ideas put forward, it is a valuable piece of writing to understanding the turmoil of the 20th century and also to understand a critical view of capitalism.

A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (by Frederick Douglass) - an inspirational account of the life of a former slave who managed to escape slavery.

On Liberty (by John Stuart Mill) - an important piece of work with ideas concerning liberty which continues to influence the role of the state.

Brief Answers to the Big Questions (by Stephen Hawking) - a great book which gives answers (or sometimes, theories) to common questions and although at times the concepts are difficult to grasp, in general the book is very accessible.

spread peace - #MJInnocent

Bubblegum Bitch

I think there're no "must read books" as we should read what we are interested in, so all these "100 books you must read before you die" are dumb, but I would recommend "To Kill a Mockingbird", especially for young people. 

Also, that leftist communist bullshit should be banned, but oh well. 

Cello

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm definitely going to add some of these to my list! 

I really enjoyed reading The Three Body Problem recently and would recommend that to any sci fi lovers. 

Also some of the obvious classics like Animal Farm, 1984, A Clockwork Orange. 

One of my all time favourites is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I would recommend that to anyone. :)

she/her 👹🖤 | 🚫Tabloid Junkie🎶

imnotyourbabe10

The Denial of Death - Ernest Becker 
The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
Symposium - Plato
A People’s History of the United States - Howard Zinn

1984 and Brave New World
Anything written by Alan Watts
Naomi Klein has a lot of great books— No Logo and The Shock Doctrine come to mind  

And I definitely second you on reading Marx! People may not like him but he’s rather prophetic in his capitalist critiques.

I could go on and on. Love nerding out on GGD!

monster4life231
2 minutes ago, Cello said:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm definitely going to add some of these to my list! 

I really enjoyed reading The Three Body Problem recently and would recommend that to any sci fi lovers. 

Also some of the obvious classics like Animal Farm, 1984, A Clockwork Orange. 

One of my all time favourites is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I would recommend that to anyone. :)

Adding these to my list too. I've been meaning to read some more Orwell. I bought one of his books a while ago (either Animal Farm or 1983), but it never got delivered!

monster4life231
Just now, imnotyourbabe10 said:

The Denial of Death - Ernest Becker 
The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
Symposium - Plato
A People’s History of the United States - Howard Zinn

1984 and Brave New World
Anything written by Alan Watts
Naomi Klein has a lot of great books— No Logo and The Shock Doctrine come to mind  

And I definitely second you on reading Marx! People may not like him but he’s rather prophetic in his capitalist critiques.

I could go on and on. Love nerding out on GGD!

Ah I've been meaning to read A People's History of the United States! I've bought No Logo and it's on my shelf, ready to be read. 

I agree with Marx, so many people disregard him because of his association with the Soviet Union, but I would say that his work continues to be relevant and of importance. 

RudraCNG

Mine is pretty "typical" but I'd say El Quijote by Miguel de Cervantes. Even if it's 400+ year old, you can still tell why it was so revolutionary. First half of the book is pretty much a comedy and a satire on chivalric novels and second one is a drama. Plus, it contains some ideas super ahead of its time, like feminism, discussed on Marcela and Grisostomo's chapter.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Jonathanholland

Sapiens / Homo Deus / So You Want To Talk About Race / The Hate U Give / 1984 / Odyssee / Stranger to History

I'm really into audiobooks recently; gives me so much joy to just walk outside and listen to some amazing books

Before there was love, there was silence

monster4life231
1 minute ago, Jonathanholland said:

Sapiens / Homo Deus / So You Want To Talk About Race / The Hate U Give / 1984 / Odyssee / Stranger to History

I'm really into audiobooks recently; gives me so much joy to just walk outside and listen to some amazing books

What does Homo Deus discuss? I've read Sapiens and really enjoyed it so I was considering buying it Homo Deus.

14 minutes ago, Bubblegum Bitch said:

Also, that leftist communist bullshit should be banned, but oh well. 

Stay pressed :billie:

monster4life231
1 minute ago, Vergil said:

Stay pressed :billie:

I predict that a debate is incoming.

Jonathanholland
Just now, monster4life231 said:

What does Homo Deus discuss? I've read Sapiens and really enjoyed it so I was considering buying it Homo Deus.

The first part of Homo Deus is quite similair. Harari talks about how humanism slowly replaced religion in the last centuries and how technology will replace humanism in the future. He argues that the human brain can't compete with the fast information processing of computers and that's why our believe in humans will be replaced to a believe in the omniscience of computers. It's quite interesting because some points he makes are from incredible importance for our society nowadays; who controls information will control us, since we won't have the brainfunction to object to computer generated information. 

I think the most important point he made is that we have to learn to be critical towards information. Dictators used to withold information to the public to sustain power, but nowadays dictators can simply overflow us with information so we can't really decide for ourselfs what's important and what's not. This is, in my opinion exactly what Trump is doing. He comes up with so many claims that people aren't able to distinguish facts from falsehoods. 

Before there was love, there was silence

The Angel’s Game and The Labyrinth of the Spirits, both by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. 

Perhaps not a “must-read” but I’m a sucker for messed up main characters and the way their grey and boring lives gradually become an effed up hell.

Archived