💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
society

US fast-food workers plan strike to demand $15-an-hour minimum wage

BUtterfield 8

3500.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Fast-food workers from more than a dozen US cities are striking on Friday to demand the federal minimum be increased to $15 an hour.

Ahead of Monday’s holiday honoring American civil rights leader the Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr, the group known as Fight for 15 said workers from mega-corporations including McDonald’s and Starbucks had been encouraged to walk off their jobs on what would have been King’s 92nd birthday on 15 January.

Karesha Manns, a Memphis McDonald’s worker said in a statement that she makes $10 an hour at her local McDonald’s, “which isn’t enough to pay the bills or support [her] family”.

“I’m striking today to carry on [the reverend’s] fight for racial and economic justice in this country, which means every working person earns a living wage and has a job with dignity,” the statement said.

Since, 2012 the group has organized walkouts calling for an increase in the federal minimum wage. The federal minimum wage has remained at $7.25 for more than 10 years.

Fight for 15 and Union, an international movement of workers advocating for higher wages, confirmed the strike will include car caravans and strike lines staged on Zoom. Supported by the Service Employees International Union, workers representing cities including Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles Miami and Milwaukee, are fighting for their right to unionize.

The movement claimed to have won more the $70bn in raises for more than 27 million people, successfully lobbying to pass a $15-an-hour minimum wage laws in at least eight states.

Source

• Like 11
  • YAAAS 11
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Lady Papa

Half of them will get fired and then the companies will break even :pawsup:

Formerly known as LadyGoo

Dulo Peep

i would love to work on a fast food place, at lease for like a week. To have my cute little costume, greet customers, be super polite, professional and cute, it must be very fun idk

dul0_pEEP in your Areaaah!
  • LMAO 9
  • Sad 3

Lady Papa
1 minute ago, Dulo Peep said:

i would love to work on a fast food place, at lease for like a week. To have my cute little costume, greet customers, be super polite, professional and cute, it must be very fun idk

is horrible ms peep, you have to deal with meth heads who think they own the place and then they spit on you and twirl away

Formerly known as LadyGoo
  • Like 14

GagaSine
2 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

Honestly you should try it, it would clearly be a valuable learning experience lol

• Like 11
  • LMAO 12
  • Thanks 5

TheFame Monster
2 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

I promise you it’s not fun at all. It’s mentally draining having to greet and be polite to customers who aren’t in return, in addition to the low pay

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

gabeoz
4 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

As someone who worked at a Taco Bell for 2 years :selena: it’s absolute hell sis

• Like 4

Agunimon

Working in food was one of the hardest and most stressful jobs (I worked in quite a few fast casual restaurants and regular restaurants) I had. I remember fighting for a freaking quarter raise a year and I never made more than $12 an hour even once I became a shift leader. For all the **** they deal with from entitled and rude customers...

• Like 7

Chromatican

This is great. Fast-food jobs are difficult and low pay. We need a $15 (at least) federal minimum wage yesterday.

• Like 5

StarstruckIllusion

The FDR print coming back as it should 😋😋... capitalists crying as the people try and save capitalism from itself 😭😭 just nod and smile to tha

EDIT: Altho isn’t Biden already planning that?

Edited by StarstruckIllusion
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shipper

With all of the danger and stress of working in the service industry now, I support this. I have seen videos of people not following the mask guidelines and demand to be served while endangering everyone in the store most especially the workers. I hope large companies can implement this 15$ an hour. I know they treat employees like disposable pawns but then they need more credit. Yes yes I know the cost of the items sold will likely increase but then I'm sure someone is earning extra millions at the top that could distribute it to the workers instead. I know this is a fairytale but then the workers deserve it.  Fast food workers often don't get tips like waitresses in restaurants. They have a jar but I don't know how they divide those up.

Next time you are in a store, be nice to retail and fast food workers and thank them! A simple thank you can just make a day. I used to work in retail in when I was in college and I just learn to be nice to them. It is absolute hellish. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Stephen

Should be even higher...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

you should try in Tulum so maybe one day you will meet someone famous :stalkga:
s-2.gif

👻
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 6

dollardays
8 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

Working in food was one of the hardest and most stressful jobs (I worked in quite a few fast casual restaurants and regular restaurants) I had. I remember fighting for a freaking quarter raise a year and I never made more than $12 an hour even once I became a shift leader. For all the **** they deal with from entitled and rude customers...

Same but for $4 an hour in Portugal :bradley:

• Like 2