Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Hollywood Is Preparing to Sacrifice Movie Theaters

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

original.jpg

This week, a seismic shift hit the cinema industry. WarnerMedia, 1 of the world’s biggest movie studios, announced that all of its 2021 films, including blockbusters such as Dune & The Matrix 4, would debut on HBO Max & in theaters at the same time. Each movie would stream for 1 month before leaving the platform, an unusual arrangement seemingly geared toward giving subscribers a stream of new films, while also allowing movies 2 play in theaters. In a statement, WarnerMedia described this hybrid model as “a strategic response 2 the impact of the ongoing global pandemic.”

This apparent compromise, however, will be disastrous for theaters. Audiences will have little incentive 2 pay more 2 see these films in theaters, even if pandemic restrictions permit, creating a new set of consumer expectations that will be hard 2 undo. Theater chains r right 2 fear 4 their survival. & WarnerMedia’s move, which seems more motivated by panic than a desire 4 long-term success, is a risky bet 4 studios, 2.

In the short term, everything WarnerMedia is doing makes sense. Even with a COVID-19 vaccine in the early stages of a rollout, the American theater industry is unlikely 2 bounce back 2 anything close 2 normal b4 the summer of 2021—that’s a long while 2 wait 4 some of these films, which were completed ages ago. Other cinema markets, particularly in Asia, are booming because of their countries’ better management of the pandemic. This simultaneous-release strategy is a way 4 Warner 2 tap in2 box-office grosses worldwide while strengthening the appeal of HBO Max at home. Insiders at the studio r insisting that this is just a temporary change that can easily revert after 2021.

The only, tiny issue is that theaters may not be able 2 survive that long. AMC, the biggest cinema chain in the United States, has warned investors that it could beout of cash by early 2021. Regal, another major chain, has closed its theaters indefinitely. These businesses need product 2 survive, & even if they’re running in any form in 2021, it will be hard 2 sell most audiences on returning if they can already watch many big movies in their living rooms. So far, no other studio has proposed anything as dramatic as WarnerMedia’s plan, but changes are already afoot. Disney previously announced that it would be shiftingmore attention 2 its streaming platform, & NBCUniversal is similarly trying 2 build out Peacock. Even Paramount has announced that it will convert the TV-focused CBS All Access streaming service in2 the movie-branded Paramount+.

In short, other studios could conceivably make the same move as WarnerMedia. Until now, WarnerMedia had been the distributor most focused on theatrical releases; in September, it notably pushed out Christopher Nolan’s Tenet, a major release that most cinema chains worked 2 reopen 4. Though the film grossed some $60 million domestically (far more than any other pandemic release), it couldn’t single-handedly rejuvenate the industry; theaters in the major markets of NY & LAnever opened up as Hollywood had hoped.

If theaters do somehow survive the hammer blows of the pandemic—the lack of government help, uncooperative major studios—the entire industry will look different than it did at the start of 2020. Cinemas could become even more of a boutique experience, charging much higher premiums 4 a big-screen experience 2 people uninterested in viewing movies at home. Big companies such as Amazon or Disney could swoop in 2 buy the foundering chains, then use them 2 promote their own releases.

The main variable that remains impossible 2 predict in all of this is human behavior. People in the U.S. have largely been cooped up at home 4 much of 2020, & will continue 2 live pandemic-limited lives 4 much of 2021. Even in states with little 2 no restrictions, cinemas have failed 2 pack the house.

Source

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality

It's definitely a big, bold move. I think it's interesting at the very least, but we'll see how movie theaters do.

A lot of this ride's on whether or not COVID will get better. Also, movie theatres are a mass market business. Just because there's a vaccine doesn't mean that the theatres would've done better anyways. There needs to be a lot of confidence that 1.) a vaccine works and 2.) that there are enough satefy precautions in place for people to go to movie theatres safely. 

🃏🖤👹

PunkTheFunk

I wonder if Gaga's Gucci film will be straight to streaming as well? I would've liked to watch that in theatres, but if I can just watch it in the comfort of my own home, why bother?

TimisaMonster

Why is the number 2 being used for the word "to"? :awkney:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

8 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

To “shorten” it :laughga:

CHROMATICON
10 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

and 4.... I couldn't read it cuz I got so annoyed by that. :bradley:

Defmix100

I've read before that without movie theaters they would no longer be able to have massive budgets for productions, at least to the extent they do now. So there maybe less big hollywood blockbusters.

BUtterfield 8
5 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

@BUtterfield 8 just cut out some paragraphs from your post to meet the 50% limit. Please, I’m begging you. I can’t stand the numbers two and four anymore.  :messga:

Blame @Admin’s rules 

FrederickSpears
30 minutes ago, CHROMATICON said:

and 4.... I couldn't read it cuz I got so annoyed by that. :bradley:

I literally stopped because of how annoying this was written by the OP.

Archived