𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭
Sign in to follow this  
science

12,500 year-old rock art discovered in Amazon forest

FfFfFfFF

Prehistoric%20art%20work%20Colombia.jpg?

One of the world’s largest collections of prehistoric rock art has been discovered in the Amazonian rainforest.

Hailed as “the Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, archaeologists have found tens of thousands of paintings of animals and humans created up to 12,500 years ago across cliff faces that stretch across nearly eight miles in Colombia.

Their date is based partly on their depictions of now-extinct ice age animals, such as the mastodon, a prehistoric relative of the elephant that hasn’t roamed South America for at least 12,000 years. There are also images of the palaeolama, an extinct camelid, as well as giant sloths and ice age horses.

These animals were all seen and painted by some of the very first humans ever to reach the Amazon. Their pictures give a glimpse into a lost, ancient civilisation. 

The discovery was made last year, but has been kept secret until now as it was filmed for a major Channel 4 series to be screened in December: Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon.

Colombia%20prehistoric%20rock%20art.jpg?

36232286-8998147-The_eight_mile_wall_of_

36231934-8998147-The_d-a-1_1606754078948.jpg

36235258-8998147-The_site_is_deep_in_the_heart_of_Colombia_in_the_Serrania_de_la_-a-2_1606754078965.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/29/sistine-chapel-of-the-ancients-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 2
  • Shook 5

bionic

It reads "stream Chromatica" :giveup: 

buy bionic
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 4
  • Love 1

Aloe

Amazing. To think that these are the evidence that the earth is more than 4000 years old but some people in the USA still doubt so...

• Thanks 1

Kadikaado

I think pre-historic art is really fascinating. I hope this documentary is out soon.

• Like 1

PunkTheFunk

Wow that is actually amazing!

TimisaMonster

8 miles of rock art? :wtfga:

Stream my new single 🔥"Dance in the Flames"🔥 on Spotify!

FfFfFfFF
8 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

Only Dailymail seems to say that specifically and they are known to fabricate stuff so possibly not. :triggered:

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

Snorlax
9 hours ago, Aloe said:

Amazing. To think that these are the evidence that the earth is more than 4000 years old but some people in the USA still doubt so...

Those same people still think Trump is gonna somehow be president again for the next four years so :trollga:

GregJA

Better artists than I ever will be :yennefer:

Mr. No Award Winner 2020

Blastertoyo
9 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

My Art Rock could mean anything 

please enlighten me to death
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1

E Z
9 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

I think it means the cliff faces go for 8 miles, not the art. 

OT: I can’t believe we’re still finding new things that are clearly just out in the open. The Amazon must an amazing place. 

• Like 2