ūüéĄ December Fan Mail ūüéĄ

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Apple lobbies to allow forced labor

Fredhappens

Personally I havent seen much other products that outperform my apple products. 5 years ago I made the switch to Apple. Bought myself a 1000 euro macbook air and a 700 euro iphone SE 1st gen. I am still using them everyday and they work great. My iphone still receives updates till next year and I was looking to buy maybe the Iphone 12 mini next year. My windows laptops always got way too slow after two to three years and I know no one who walks around with a 5 year old phone from another brand although my iphone SE 1st gen I see quite a lot of people still using. I might be biased and I might be one of the lucky ones but I really like my Apple products and I hope never to have to step away from Apple . I am definately going to look up this story and investigate on my own cause if this story is true this might change my opinion of Apple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FATCAT
48 minutes ago, gag said:

Apple is awful when it comes to human rights and I'd die before I'd defend their ethics buuuut this is a really misleading thread. The original story from WaPo is extremely unsourced (two anonymous congressional staffers) and the details are really vague. The only known thing is that Apple wants to change the wording for this law but it is unknown what provisions they are trying to change and to what extent.

Still completely possible that they are fully lobbying to allow slave labour (and IMO, likely), but at this point when so little is known about this case, 'Apple lobbies to allow forced labour' is complete disinformation.

I trust the Washington Post to source their stories, they aren't just making stuff up. As far as the title is concerned, the bill is quite explicit. US companies can't use forced labor in China. Any rewording.. well then you've either got a weaker or stronger stance on that issue. And considering it's weaker from Apple's lobbying, they're literally lobbying for it to be legal for them to use forced labor camps with no repercussions at home. I understand what you're saying, but they really aren't gonna get the benefit of the doubt here :smh:

chilly waffle

FATCAT
39 minutes ago, Fredhappens said:

Personally I havent seen much other products that outperform my apple products. 5 years ago I made the switch to Apple. Bought myself a 1000 euro macbook air and a 700 euro iphone SE 1st gen. I am still using them everyday and they work great. My iphone still receives updates till next year and I was looking to buy maybe the Iphone 12 mini next year. My windows laptops always got way too slow after two to three years and I know no one who walks around with a 5 year old phone from another brand although my iphone SE 1st gen I see quite a lot of people still using. I might be biased and I might be one of the lucky ones but I really like my Apple products and I hope never to have to step away from Apple . I am definately going to look up this story and investigate on my own cause if this story is true this might change my opinion of Apple.

I can't speak to your specific laptops/phones but it massively depends on what system you're buying on the windows and android side of things. You can get an amazing laptop from Lenovo with specs that outperform Apple at a much lower cost easy-peasy.

As far as phones go, there's definitely a similar phenomena with Samsung phones. They make flagship models that are amazing & feature packed (s20 Ultra, Note Ultra, Galazy Z Fold) and they make phones that are meant for mid-range. If you buy a phone that's meant to last 5 years, it will last that long. I'm sure many of my Note's would have lasted way longer than I had them for. 

Apple only puts out flagships, and the occasional SE. They cater to a brand, so they don't have to really impress year to year. That's why they still have a notch 4 phones later. Same with their macbooks, that's why they refuse to add touch screens or more ports. I have a macbook pro that I use for travel/coding but when I want to get actual power or gaming out of a system, I always swap the thunderbolt cable to my desktop build. 

chilly waffle
  • Like 1

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, WIGney HouSTAN said:

- sent from my iPhone 

To be fair, their screen is cracked :cryga:

chilly waffle
  • LMAO 1

Oriane

Doesn't surprise me from Apple :madge:

Hey sis! I know it's a bit awkward to ask but can you make me win? I know I flopped this round, I want to make sure I still have my throne

Aussie
4 hours ago, FATCAT said:

Apple is lobbying against a bill aimed at stopping forced labor in China

Apple lobbyists are trying to weaken a bill aimed at preventing forced labor in China, according to two congressional staffers familiar with the matter, highlighting the clash between its business imperatives and its official stance on human rights.

The Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act would require U.S. companies to guarantee they do not use imprisoned or coerced workers from the predominantly Muslim region of Xinjiang, where academic researchers estimate the Chinese government has placed more than 1 million people into internment camps. Apple is heavily dependent on Chinese manufacturing, and human rights reports have identified instances in which alleged forced Uighur labor has been used in Apple’s supply chain.

Where is this from? Any links?

bionic

Tim Apple and Steve Jobs (who is dead) are war criminals

buy bionic
  • YAAAS 1

xoxo Craig

I'm glad I don't own or buy any Apple products. The only apples I know are the ones that grow on trees

End Racism Now
  • Like 1

FATCAT
1 hour ago, Aussie said:

Where is this from? Any links?

Sorry, forgot to add the link! It's WaPo

chilly waffle

JusKeepBreathin

That company shot itself in the foot by becoming too dependent on one source of income. iPhones. 

Phones that are cheaply built and slowed down on purpose after a year if it's release. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

JusKeepBreathin
4 hours ago, FATCAT said:

I can't speak to your specific laptops/phones but it massively depends on what system you're buying on the windows and android side of things. You can get an amazing laptop from Lenovo with specs that outperform Apple at a much lower cost easy-peasy.

As far as phones go, there's definitely a similar phenomena with Samsung phones. They make flagship models that are amazing & feature packed (s20 Ultra, Note Ultra, Galazy Z Fold) and they make phones that are meant for mid-range. If you buy a phone that's meant to last 5 years, it will last that long. I'm sure many of my Note's would have lasted way longer than I had them for. 

Apple only puts out flagships, and the occasional SE. They cater to a brand, so they don't have to really impress year to year. That's why they still have a notch 4 phones later. Same with their macbooks, that's why they refuse to add touch screens or more ports. I have a macbook pro that I use for travel/coding but when I want to get actual power or gaming out of a system, I always swap the thunderbolt cable to my desktop build. 

Weird how my iPhone 6 bent and I have refused to buy another one ever since. Do you keep yours in a shrine next to your bed or use it like normal people?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

weed

Does Apple really need to lobby? China (gov’t) built those concentration camps 

Supersonic

This is gross. But also keep in mind: Apple is the only name lobbying against this bill, because it is the only relevant US American phone manufacturer. 

We don't know which other non US native brands also have ties to this, so blanket statements that shower Android operated systems are kinda... dumb, because it fully falls into the same blind consumerism people criticize about people being loyal to the Apple brand. 

Also I think it's interesting that the congress has specified that it only wants to outlaw using "forced labor in China" and not just forced labor period because they all KNOW that all of their crowning glory tech and automobile companys are dependant on African slave labor to mine cobalt for rechargable batteries.

The bill is a step in the right direction, Apple is fully disgusting for trying to lobby against this arguably mild restriction, and we should ask all tech companies in general whether their resources are ethically aquired.

• Like 1