🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Michigan certifies Biden's win

Lion Heart
UPDATE:

Old UPDATE 

Spoiler

Lansing — The top two leaders in the Republican-controlled Michigan Legislature are expected to visit the White House Friday, according to a source with knowledge of the plans.

The visits by Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, and House Speaker Lee Chatfield, R-Levering, will come as a legal fight plays out in the battleground state with President Donald Trump attempting to challenge the results of the Nov. 3 election.

Democrat Joe Biden won Michigan 51%-48% or by 154,000 votes, according to the current unofficial results. All 83 counties have approved their tallies, according to the Department of State. And the Board of State Canvassers is scheduled to meet Monday to consider statewide certification.

But Trump's campaign suggested in a Thursday statement the Wayne County Board of Canvassers didn't certify the results in Michigan's largest county. Two Republican members of the Wayne County canvassers agreed to certify the results on Tuesday night but have since signed affidavits saying they regretted their votes and would like to rescind them.

Shirkey told The Detroit News on Tuesday that he doesn't expect the results of the state's presidential race to change as lawmakers examine the voting process. "Elections have consequences," he said. 

Biden is in the lead, Chatfield acknowledged Wednesday. 

"But President Trump is still the president of the United States and he's not conceded this election. And my job is to investigate reports of fraud and reports of irregularities," Chatfield said. "That's what we are going to do. When the time comes for there to be a concession, then I am sure that will happen. ... But we're not there right now." 

Edited by Lion Heart
  • LMAO 4
  • Sad 2

Lion Heart

• Like 3

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

There is so much going on I'm just dumping everything relevant to Michigan here: 

• Like 1

Lion Heart

Important thread: 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 2

TimisaMonster

Sir this is not a dictatorship...this is a Wendy's :awkney:

Stream my new single 🔥"Dance in the Flames"🔥 on Spotify!

Lion Heart

• Like 2

Bottom

Nothing they do will succeed, Biden will be sworn in in january, this is nothing more than an attempt for trump to try and get as much money as he can from his base to pay for his legal fees

• Like 4

gabeoz

I just dont get what they're going to try to do :laughga: I dont believe they can rescind their votes for certification. And the state has laws requiring faithful electors. :oprah: 

caulixtla

Georgia’s results will be certified tomorrow. Pennsylvania and Michigan will be certified on Monday. Arizona is a week later, at the end of November. Then, one day later, on Tuesday December 1, Wisconsin’s votes will be certified. [1]

Once things are certified, then it’s set in stone (since, yes, America did go through this rodeo in 1876, when there were legitimate reports of widespread voter fraud done by southern segregationists). [2]

If, heaven forbid, say Michigan refuses to certify their vote because Norman Shinkle refuses to certify them — not entire out of the question since he voted to not allow a measure to go on the ballot back in 2012 based on bogus allegations that a font was too small [3] — and then the legislatures try to send Trump electors, every single Democrat in the house and senate can oppose them (and I think some Republicans would join them too — some conservatives still believe in respecting the will of the voters, even in the Trump era) as per the Electoral Count Act of 1877, and their votes do not count.

[1] https://www.nytimes.com/article/us-election-results-trump-biden.html

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_Count_Act

[1] https://www.eclectablog.com/2012/04/breaking-mich-board-of-state-canvassers-emergency-mgr-law-petitions-are-not-valid.html

“Don’t be unconscious all day on your f***ing phone” — Lady Gaga
  • Like 3

MOT

I think it's partly an attempt to force Biden to take some action, and then Trump and co can spin it as a contest (even though we've just had the contest). I watched Biden's press conference just now, and he is refusing to be drawn in.

• Like 2

FATCAT
20 minutes ago, MOT said:

I think it's partly an attempt to force Biden to take some action, and then Trump and co can spin it as a contest (even though we've just had the contest). I watched Biden's press conference just now, and he is refusing to be drawn in.

Biden will never flinch, he knows he's won & that Republicans that are too afraid to say congrats publicly have reached out in private. It's done, this is just Trump flailing before jail time.

chilly waffle
  • Like 6

Lion Heart

• LMAO 6