🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
tech

Amazon Says You Don't Own Purchased Digital Contents

RAMROD

When an Amazon Prime Video user buys content on the platform, what they're really paying for is a limited license for “on-demand viewing over an indefinite period of time” and they're warned of that in the company's terms of use. That's the company's argument for why a lawsuit over hypothetical future deletions of content should be dismissed.

In April, Amanda Caudel sued Amazon for unfair competition and false advertising. She claims the company "secretly reserves the right" to end consumers' access to content purchased through its Prime Video service. She filed her putative class action on behalf of herself and any California residents who purchased video content from the service from April 25, 2016, to present.

On Monday, Amazon filed a motion to dismiss her complaint arguing that she lacks standing to sue because she hasn't been injured — and noting that she's purchased 13 titles on Prime since filing her complaint.

"Plaintiff claims that Defendant Amazon’s Prime Video service, which allows consumers to purchase video content for streaming or download, misleads consumers because sometimes that video content might later become unavailable if a third-party rights’ holder revokes or modifies Amazon’s license," writes attorney David Biderman in the motion, which is posted below. "The Complaint points vaguely to online commentary about this alleged potential harm but does not identify any Prime Video purchase unavailable to Plaintiff herself. In fact, all of the Prime Video content that Plaintiff has ever purchased remains available."

Full article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/amazon-argues-users-dont-actually-own-purchased-prime-video-content

#BuyPhysical :giggle:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 4

TimisaMonster

How you gonna file a lawsuit and BUY 13 more films?!?!....dumb bitch :sharon:

Stream my new single 🔥"Dance in the Flames"🔥 on Spotify!
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 2

TSUNAMI

That's why I buy physical. 

• Like 5

Justin Drew Bieber

Good thing I don’t buy digital goods :yennefer:

• Like 3

Cersei Lannister

It was a silly lawsuit but I still hope it does get sued big time someday and I hope Bezos goes into debt like Trumpy 

More wine 🍷
  • Like 3

RudraCNG

Unfortunately, they are right. When you purchase something digital, you don't purchase the item itself but a "license to use". It's lowkey a scam. I try to buy everything physical.

And of course, not to buy on Amazon.

Edited by RudraCNG
  • Like 7

PopEmergency

This is nothing new, and why exactly did she sue amazon? :laughga:

"misleads consumers because sometimes that video content might later become unavailable if a third-party rights’ holder revokes or modifies Amazon’s license"

"In fact, all of the Prime Video content that Plaintiff has ever purchased remains available." :interestinga:

Eighteen

wow that sucks. i didn't know that :duck:

well, she could download the purchased item and store it on a hard drive or something. 

frederiickx

Yeah I prefer physical copies over digital anyday, even with music.

U-GO-BOY

Technically speaking even if you buy a movie or album you actually don't own it. You just own the license to watch/listen to it.

• Like 1

Kulture Kiari

Well to be fair, every platform is like that. That's why I rather rent than buy when its digital. 

Even Apple.

That's why Tyra Sanchez had a huge fit and assumed RuPaul scammed her because most of her RPDR collection on Apple disappeared.  

FATCAT
36 minutes ago, U-GO-BOY said:

Technically speaking even if you buy a movie or album you actually don't own it. You just own the license to watch/listen to it.

This. It's literally been this way forever. 

*𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱* *𝘱𝘰𝘱*

Blastertoyo
2 hours ago, TSUNAMI said:

Red
3 hours ago, TSUNAMI said:

2 hours ago, RudraCNG said:

Unfortunately, they are right. When you purchase something digital, you don't purchase the item itself but a "license to use". It's lowkey a scam. I try to buy everything physical.

And of course, not to buy on Amazon.

1 hour ago, frederiickx said:

Yeah I prefer physical copies over digital anyday, even with music.

3 hours ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Good thing I don’t buy digital goods :yennefer:

As if physicals are different? You don't own a movie because you bought a Blu-ray, you own a disc with a license to watch it, you can't upload your copy anywhere, you don't earn royalties from it... :awkney:

The only true difference is that if you don't find a way to transfer it to a physical media, it can disappear. But what happens if you lose a physical copy of a movie or an album? Can you go to a store and get a new one for free? No, cause you don't own it.

Edited by Red
says Campbell, chuckling.
  • Thanks 1