Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Confession time: which artist you dislike but listen to?

Kimmo

Featured Posts

ToxicHot

I honestly thought about it for a moment.... There’s really not anyone at all for me, except Azealia Banks but for me it’s a love/hate thing.

She’s super talented and I really really f*cked with her during 2012-2013, but then as we all know she was extremely vulgar/aggressive/etc. to a lot of artists (especially many that I looked up to) and made disgusting racist/homophobic comments. I stopped supporting for a long time (I still don’t 100%), but I guess I feel.....some kind of sympathy since she’s opened up about her mental health and traumatizing life situations. Definitely wouldn’t call myself a stan of HERS anymore but a lot of her music is soooooo damn great and nostalgic for me as well.

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PsychoMaxcara
59 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

She's got the occasional good song or two, most of them album tracks and bonus tracks. I didn't like Love Made Me Do It but I did quite like Let You. They probably would've charted so much better back in the day when she was on XF and getting so much hype. That was what majorly convinced people to buy into her back then. You'll notice how her success went downhill with every release the more the hype train died and people realised that she focused on impressive dance routines as the excuse for why she couldn't sing live and that she doesn't write the majority of her work and so on and so forth. And once the single pre-order system (which was solely responsible for 2 of her #1 singles) died out, she had no more chart success. Now she's in her late 30's, she's no longer got the youth market that she courted for so long. It's a story as old as time in the pop game. Cheryl comes from a generation of singers where being pretty was all that was needed to get success. We're well over that by this point and shows like Popstars would never produce successes like they did back when the public were more gullible. We've frequently said that if Cheryl had auditioned for XF today, she'd be lucky to make it past the audition. It's like night and day looking at how impressed the judges were back then vs how they are now. Back then, they didn't say a word about her wholly unremarkable performance, they just went on about her looks from beginning to end and then put her through, no vocal feedback whatsoever. Crazy how judges were so blatantly superficial like that without shame. Nowadays judges would rightfully be criticised if they focused entirely on an auditionee's looks instead of their voice. Times have changed and Cheryl's lucky she found fame when she did.

I agree with a lot of your points, although if k-pop taught me something -- it's that you can scout any half decent looking person and turn them into a solid performer & dancer provided they train their butts off, but not all of them will get to put out their sophomore album.... and I think that while judges certainly used to focus more on the packaging to the detriment of other qualities back in the day -- as far as Cheryl is concerned -- she's a good example of a 'performer' (I won't use the word artist) who was clearly a diamond in the rough at the time of her audition, but who still happened to possess all the right ingredients and just needed the right mentorship and training to bring that to the foreground. Also, If I'm not mistaken, I believe that one of the people on the judging panel happened to be Geri Halliwell who might've recognized some of her own qualities in Cheryl? I think there's quite a bit of talent involved in being able to see past someone's imperfections and notice the hidden potential instead. After all, isn't that why so many people tune in to watch these shows? To see the contestants improve little by little every episode? How boring would it be if fully developed artists auditioned and got feedback on how amazing they are? And while Cheryl's beauty got her places and her voice has never been the strongest, I've watched many of her life performances and she certainly has something. Even if her entire schtick is the archetypal "pretty pop star that dances well," we've seen many people like that come and vanish into obscurity. Cheryl has put out four studio albums; two of which topped the UK chart and two that came quite close. I agree that she's very much an artifact of times gone by, but ageism is something all female artists eventually come face to face with, and it doesn't matter whether you're a Cheryl or a Madonna.

huttont

I honestly don’t have any that I can think of. Maybe Justin Bieber or Madonna but I don’t particularly love their music. Although, something about Rihanna really irritates me even though her music and vocals are great. She’s chill and likeable but I think it’s bc she doesn’t care about music anymore and won’t admit it. She wants to keep her options open and is just stringing her fans along

Justin Drew Bieber

Even though I don’t like Azealia, I love Yung Rapunxel, Licorice, The Big Big Beat, and Ice Princess.

I’d say Nicki Minaj but then most of the times I listen to her music ironically so I don’t know if that counts :bear:

Diamonster

Ariana Grande, I don't act like I hate her she just scares me cuz I feel she'd bully me adfjaodjif so I'm not a fan of her as a person but like her music

Archived